Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 13th January 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: A learning curve

Glad yo found that helpful, Amanda, solved the reflection problem nicely
Layers are fun, if difficult at first. If you would like it, I will send you an Adobe Element 2 book for beginners which explains them in words I can understand.
If you would like it, just PM me your address,
David
Old 14th January 2016

Liked 583 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Definitely better with the whole of the wooden stopper. With the layer added I think it looks a bit disconcerting because it seems to be floating in space, presumably because we have lost that bot of shadow. You could try painting away that bit of the bokeh layer (assuming it's on top) with a brush set to less than 100% which should allow it to show through.

When you are painting away the bokeh layer, are you painting on the layer itself or on a layer mask? It's hard to explain layer masks but not too hard to understand once you see it - in effect it makes the changes reversible so if you get rid of too much you can just paint it back in.

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to the next iteration.....

John
Yes, it does look a bit odd floating. To answer your question it's a bit trial and error at the moment. I cut out the bottle and pasted it on top of the bokeh layer, so that is why there is no shadow. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Try using the same technique that you used in the first image, but reduce the opacity of the bokeh layer so that the shadows from the bottle are still visible.

Photoshop is like cooking. So many ways to make a cake with the same ingredients, everyone has their own recipe, ways of doing it and they all taste different...

Thanks Graham. I found an Adobe tutorial which makes sense but I'm not getting it to work the same way. More practise needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Glad yo found that helpful, Amanda, solved the reflection problem nicely
Layers are fun, if difficult at first. If you would like it, I will send you an Adobe Element 2 book for beginners which explains them in words I can understand.
If you would like it, just PM me your address,
David
Thank you David, that would be brilliant!

Somehow, I have managed to do this which I think is better again:

Last edited by Mrs T; 14th January 2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Attach image.
Old 18th January 2016

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

...this might help (not sure) but something very useful Ive learnt this last 12 months is that the size of the light source is important to quality. A small diffuser still provides a relatively small light source......a big white sheet in front of the lens gives a much bigger light source and better diffusion....thought that might help here.
Old 19th January 2016

Thanks Brian - I guess this is the differences between a plastic diffuser and something a soft box or umbrella is designed to solve.
Old 20th January 2016

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

...or bouncing the flash off something big. Wall, ceiling, large piece of card will all help as long as they are neutral colours.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (20th January 2016)
Old 20th January 2016

Thanks John. I'll bear that in mind in the future.