Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 3rd January 2015

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Re: E-M1 Replacement Batteries

I have no information on that I'm afraid, however as a user of the Olympus 'E' series since the E-10 I can say that it has always been accepted wisdom that having an extra battery in a grip had a beneficial effect on AF especially with lenses with more glass to move. There has never been any differential noticed with OEM packs though, you could deduce from this that the internal impedance is a minor factor compared to the additional current delivery available.

Now, here's the thing - in earlier 'E' series the packs were dual in the grip and in parallel so you could assume additional peak current capacity. In the current 'E' series e.g. E-M5, E-M1 the pack is additional to the pack in the camera and is switched in and out depending on the battery priority setting so despite the fact that you have additional power you do not have additional current capacity.

I haven't held a 40-150 pro yet but as a fixed aperture telephoto with a lot of glass to move (in MFT terms) I could imagine that a pack near it's voltage limit might cause the camera to disable AF (or be unable to function) with the lower voltage.

The solution, of course, is to have a grip containing a fresh pack ready to take over when the prime pack gets low, in fact just the recommended route for the earlier 'E'-series but for different reasons. Just an opinion pending further data but I suspect a third party pack would struggle just as much as the Oly original but would get to it sooner.

One final thought - all of the control data and focus motor power travel through the lens contacts on the body. It is worth making sure that they are thoroughly degreased and that the lens if fully turned and locked into position. I always douse my lens and body contacts with 'Servisol' switch cleaner.

Loves photography but so little time
Old 3rd January 2015

Chart now re-worked to show better discharge curve and cut-off voltage.

Old 14th January 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I havn't read the full thread but when I was doing research to find a Bln-1 replacement many people said the expro battery does not charge in the Olympus charger. Well that used to be the case.

The current ones they sell on their website are the "upgraded version" which are fully compatible With the original charger. I own two of these and I've had no issues with them. They charge well, fit in the camera and grip and I get about the same amount of photos as the original battery.

At 10 a battery in the UK and quick free delivery, I might have to order some more.
Old 18th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I havn't read the full thread
Well, that might be a good first thing to do

Quote:
but when I was doing research to find a Bln-1 replacement many people said the expro battery does not charge in the Olympus charger. Well that used to be the case. The current ones they sell on their website are the "upgraded version" which are fully compatible With the original charger.
They have been compatible (chipped) for quite some time now.

Quote:
I own two of these and I've had no issues with them. They charge well, fit in the camera and grip and I get about the same amount of photos as the original battery.
I have had several and all have struggled to exceed 1000mAh - significantly less than the original.

Quote:
At 10 a battery in the UK and quick free delivery, I might have to order some more.
At a 80% of the capacity for 20% of the price it might be a good proposition if the self-discharge performance wasn't so poor.

Old 18th January 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Spending £500 or more on a camera and trying to save £30 for a second battery is something I wouldn't do. Did you hear the story about someone trying to extract a swollen battery from their camera, or about another who took a hand file to a swollen battery so that it would fit. With margins for profitability, how can a company source materials, manufacture a finished product, market and still make a profit - something has to give. If not profits then materials, possibly!

on flickr
Old 19th January 2015

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I have used non OEM batteries mainly for backup for many years in a variety of different cameras, Olympus, Pentax, Ricoh and Panasonic without any problems. It may be my Aberdonian ancestry which makes me feel that I am being ripped off by the prices charged for spare batteries by the major camera manufacturers.
Old 22nd January 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I just checked this post. Thanks folks, very informative. I don't use my camera that much, so i will stick with my 2 Olympus batteries methinks.

Cheers.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (22nd January 2015)
Old 1st February 2015

Some updated results since the last round of tests. A little used second genuine Olympus BLN-1 has joined the fold along with a brand new Expro 'White Series' Ultra. In summary: after a couple of conditioning full charge/discharge cycles the tests show the second genuine Olympus BLN-1 putting in another sterling performance and the EXpro White putting in an improved performance over the standard (grey) EXpro but still way below par according to it's own specifications (1220mAh). It is very close the Hahnel HL-ON1 in capacity and discharge curve but then again the Hahnel doesn't pretend to be 1220 mAh.

While the market price does set certain (low) expectations the 'Long Battery Life' (sic) version of the EXpro does not live up to the rhetoric on the packaging viz. "manufactured and produced to the same standards as your original battery using Grade A+ cell quality, materials..." etc. Noted that the EXpro arrived almost completely flat which does not bode well for its self-discharge characteristics. We shall see.

Last edited by jima; 1st February 2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typos...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jima For This Useful Post:
ayewing (2nd February 2015), kidslateinlife (2nd February 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
kidslateinlife (2nd February 2015)
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Thanks, jima for this useful hard factual information. It certainly confirms the impression that original batteries are better. As the clones are available for about a quarter of the price of the originals they have a useful place as spares as long as their limitations are recognised.
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271564639592

What does anyone think???
Old 2nd February 2015

This from his feedback: "Beware, claimed to be genuine Olympus but is fake. Weighs 38g compared to 50g"

I measure a BLN-1 at 51g. That plus the non-CE lower label (both of mine have this and they aren't assembled in Vietnam) rings alarm bells for me. Caveat emptor!

The Following User Says Thank You to jima For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, expro