Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 19th January 2014

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts
ZD 14-35 is actually f1.8 to f2!

Interesting observation...

Some of us realise that the ZD 7-14 is actually f2.8 (7mm) to f4 (14mm).

You can test this on the camera by pressing the lens release button on the camera (or on the mFT->FT adapter for a mFT camera). You will see at 7mm @ f4 half the shutter speed for the lens at 7mm and the release button pressed. Basically it's the lens firmware that closes down the aperture to give the constant f4 over the range.

Now, I noticed the burst rate slow on the camera when using the 14-35 on the wide end. This is a common problem on the FT lenses - they weren't designed for the E-M1's 10fps burst rate. If you shoot anything other than wide open, there is a lag as the aperture closes down.

So shooting at f2@14mm should be wide open and therefore no lag? Wrong - there is, so I tried the same trick. 1/80s became 1/100s. This corresponds to f1.8 ( f2 / SQRT(100/80) ) at the wide end.

I need to do some tests to see how the base aperture varies over the range.

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 19th January 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: ZD 14-35 is actually f1.8 to f2!

That's interesting Andy. I unfortunately dropped my 7-14 in it's soft pouch on to a carpeted floor in Lacock Abbey. Although it still works OK I think the diaphragm has been damaged as it clicks when I zoom in, so your post would explain this. Not bothering to get it repaired as it still works Ok.

David
Old 19th January 2014

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if all the constant aperture SHG zooms were the same. They could all be faster at the short end if the lens designers had wanted variable aperture designs. One thing to consider is the lenses were probably designed as constant aperture so no consideration would have been given for performance at wider than specified apertures.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 19th January 2014

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if all the constant aperture SHG zooms were the same. They could all be faster at the short end if the lens designers had wanted variable aperture designs. One thing to consider is the lenses were probably designed as constant aperture so no consideration would have been given for performance at wider than specified apertures.
they are all the same.

as I understand it, it was a design principle around ultimate performance 'wide open' over possible paper specs at the wider end.

whilst I used to trick the 7-14 occasionally I no longer bother given the huge steps forward in both IS and ISO - ie at the wider end the max aperture isn't anything like as relevant at with the long glass. I've never used the 35/1.4 in anger (but then again I have a 30/1.4 Sigma anyway!