Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 9th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: shooting .tif files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Didn't say i posted in Tiff for forums, MusicMan, just took 'em in Tiff I always post jpegs, as you say. I find that Tiffs take much less editing, which suits me fine
Ahhh... sorry, too quick to respond. I am on and off here doing some household chores - apologies

Not sure what app you use to edit your TIFF's, but what additional processing/editing would be needed with RAW?

Old 9th April 2012

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Panos: I have this perhaps whacky notion that I can use the smaller Kodak sensor in assemblages, to give it the impression of larger size and more detail.
Have a search for "the Brenizer method"... basically you take lots of photos like a panorama and stitch them together to give you the look of a camera with a much larger sensor.

http://learningdslr.com/2011/06/the-...okeh-panorama/
Old 9th April 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Ahhh... sorry, too quick to respond. I am on and off here doing some household chores - apologies

Not sure what app you use to edit your TIFF's, but what additional processing/editing would be needed with RAW?
I use FastStone and really old Elements 2 . All I usually need is straighten and sharpen. 10secs per image

Please see entry in " Chaos " for an example
Old 9th April 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Just as technology gives advantages, sometimes, so does a little research. Rather than re-invent the wheel, a search of old Internet postings from 2001-2003 pointed out to me that even high quality jpegs can be better than tiff files, at least with cameras of the e-1's vintage.
Which is disappointing, in a way, as I imagine that one day the latest and greatest software might not include raw processing engines for older cameras? I like the universality of tiffs, but I guess the range of control just isn't there. That being said, modern software makes raw processing extremely easy, even for a photographer like me who could just as well archive everything in jpegs. It would be nice to have a non-proprietary archival format that any software could read, perhaps the .dng format is the way to go? Will dig into that Luminous Landscape article and edify myself.

Thanks for all the good thoughts on this subject.
Old 9th April 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Well said, just beware that Jpegs are not a Lossless file, so never to be used for archive material, As I know to my cost, they deteriorate with use.

We learn by our mistakes.
Old 9th April 2012

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

IIRC. the orf files have a 12 bit resolution while on checking the TIFF is 8 bit lossless and the jpg is 8bit lossy
Old 9th April 2012

Ah, eight bit tiffs, that is the one piece of the puzzle I was looking for, and explains a lot. Thank you, Chris.
Old 17th April 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have an E-1, don't think I'll ever sell it, because of build quality, layout of the controls and takes Tiffs. Regarding this file format, it has (and still may be) the format preferred by quality publications, magazines etc, because it's by default 16-bit, doesn't degrade every time you make a compressed copy of the file (Lossless) unlike a JPeg, even when on the lowest level (1) of compression. Adobe's DNG format, is the Raw equivalent, inasmuch that it is a 'Universal' Raw file format. Some cameras now offer the DNG format as well as the manufacturer's own Raw file format. (This means the file isn't just 'tied' to a particular manufacturer's in-house Raw software.)

Tiff files are often bigger than Raw ones, because the compression logarithm used, 'stores' the data which is stripped out during compression, to reconstruct the file as it was, when opened up. A Jpeg, when it compresses a file, 'throws away' the data a Tiff keeps, and every time you save a copy/duplicate of a Jpeg, even more compression is applied ... You can see this happening by just getting a Jpeg, noting how big it is, then save the file again, and then look at the size of the resulting file ... you will find it is smaller! Tiffs were never designed to be web-friendly (size wise) although you can use them this way, its just that people will get seriously 'Peed off' with down loading a 10+ Mb file instead of one which is maybe 500k!

Many publishing houses and commercial printers because of the printing presses they use, still demand Tiffs because their machines can process Tiff files, but not DNGs or Raws. I don't think it's a file format that's going to 'die off' or be abandoned for a few decades yet!
Old 17th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
... Regarding this file format, it has (and still may be) the format preferred by quality publications, magazines etc, because it's by default 16-bit,...
My E-1 puts out 8-bit TIFFs
Old 17th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
My E-1 puts out 8-bit TIFFs
OOh Chris My E-1 gives out 8-bit TIFFS too ... have we an old old E-1 ? or is there a firmware upgrade I have missed ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 17th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
OOh Chris My E-1 gives out 8-bit TIFFS too ... have we an old old E-1 ? or is there a firmware upgrade I have missed ?
mine is sw version 1.5 so dont think I have missed out
Old 17th April 2012

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I shot TIFF on the E-1 for quite some time and some of my best looking shots came that way rather than JPG or RAW (either Oly Studio, Lightroom or RSE). If I shot the E-1 again I would go straight for TIFF - if you like what the E-1 image processor does for images and don't like what JPG compression does (I don't) you can do little wrong with TIFF. You also don't get to play the colour rendition lottery with RAW developers which is either a benefit or a hazard depending on your PP style. I wish I had it on the E-5 still. Not sure about the E-400 - have to check when I get back home.

Jim
Old 18th April 2012

Just for the sake of the whole 8 bit vs 16 bit thing...
If I use processing software that generates 16 bit tiffs, the resultant image (from an E-1) is about 30MB.
Straight out of the camera, E-1 tiffs are about 17MB, which strongly suggests, at least to me, the E-1 tiffs are indeed 8-bit.
Which also suggests that a 12 bit orf is a more flexible option than an 8-bit tiff, though I've yet to prove that to myself.
Old 18th April 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I've just looked up the spec for Tiffs on the E1, they are indeed 8-bit, not 16.
Old 18th April 2012

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I don't think any of the bit depths of TIFF versus RAW are in dispute, nevertheless I have not as yet seen a developed ORF from my E-1 which I could call noticeably or significantly better than the TIFF versions I used to use irrespective of bits (per channel remember). The argument which says that 16-bits per channel is not so much of an improvement over 12 bits as you might think as the least significant 4 bits carry very little information applies equally to 12-bits versus 8-bits per channel. Factor in _any_ form of lossy compression to the raw files and there is your small advantage eroded :-)