Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 30th December 2018

Liked 1,725 Times in 1,038 Posts
Strong Naked Black

Strong Naked Black by -Steve Ricoh-

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (30th December 2018)
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 502 Times in 269 Posts
Re: Strong Naked Black

Photo have character

Being a non beer drinker, can some kind person explain the following:- Lager, Pilsner, Bitters, Stout? I think there are more names to beer. What's the difference? I think the last may be that black (ok Dark) stuff with bubbles.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (31st December 2018)
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 679 Times in 460 Posts

There are loads more names of beer Henry! It can be light or dark, sweet or not, bitter flavoured or not, even sour sometimes. it can be very bubbly (usually artificially) or almost flat. it can be flavoured with fruit. It can be strong or not. There is as much variety in beer as there is in wine - although you wouldn't know it from the heavily marketed big international brands which are almost all an approximation of Pilsner style.

The basic process of making beer is pretty simple - chuck some cereal grains (wheat, barley, maize, rye etc.) into a bucket of water and let it ferment, then add flavouring (hops for bitterness, fruit for sweetness or sharpness) to taste. But the chemical reactions involved are actually very complex, and are strongly affected by trace elements.

The water has a big effect on how the fermentation goes, as does the climate. As a result different styles of beer grew up in different regions. Even in a small country like England, where the climate doesn't vary that much from place to place, the variations in the water gave rise to very different types of beer in different regions.

As for your examples - you are right that stout is the dark stuff. It can be sweet or bitter and is usually of medium strength (around 4.5% alcohol by volume and up). Pilsner refers to a style which is classically from the city of Pilsn in central Europe, currently in the extreme west of the Czech Republic. Lager used to be a technical term for a slow fermentation process called "lagering" but is now used as a generic term for a pale beer made in the Pilsner style. Bitter is a typically English style, flavoured with hops - hops grow very well in some parts of England and have a useful preserving effect, so they quickly became embedded in the local beer styles.

I hope this helps a little bit. You can probably tell you have stumbled onto another of my favourite subjects!

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1st January 2019), RobEW (3rd January 2019)
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 1,725 Times in 1,038 Posts

You should write this up for Wikipedia, John. Perhaps you have already and this was a copy and paste.

It suggests to me you've spent too much time in the bar, after the rugby, like rugby is foreplay for the main event.

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (1st January 2019), RobEW (3rd January 2019)
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 1,407 Times in 905 Posts

Lager is the name of a 'beer' that's so disgusting in taste that it has to be drunk ice cold in order to numb the taste buds!

Jim
MJ224 (31st December 2018), Naughty Nigel (1st January 2019), RobEW (3rd January 2019), Ross the fiddler (1st January 2019)
Old 31st December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
You should write this up for Wikipedia, John. Perhaps you have already and this was a copy and paste.

It suggests to me you've spent too much time in the bar, after the rugby, like rugby is foreplay for the main event.
Nope, all original Steve I'm sure there are many many reams of this on Wiki already.

I have to confess that early on my interest in rugby was helped by the fact that it was somewhere you could drink during the afternoon in those dark days when all the pubs shut. Sadly, these days it's straight onto the pushbike home after the game so I can get the photos up on Faecesbook for the players.

John
Old 31st December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Lager is the name of a 'beer' that's so disgusting in taste that it has to be drunk ice cold in order to numb the taste buds!

Jim
Slightly unfair Jim. There are some nice lagers around. Unfortunately the pursuit of the last cent of profit by multinational commerce has led to a vast proliferation of lowest common denominator products, and the beer business is particularly badly hit. I agree with you about mass-market lager.

Mind you, the lager in new Zealand is even worse. It is so sweet that I think the cats they squeeze it out of must be diabetic.

John
Naughty Nigel (1st January 2019), Ross the fiddler (1st January 2019)
Old 3rd January 2019

Liked 502 Times in 269 Posts

Good explanation but to a non drinker like me, it's

So Beer = Larger = Pilsner. and Stout is not Beer.

So if I were to walk into a bar in UK, and order Beer, I could be getting it Flat (no bubbles), Sweet or Bitter.

And I think I will partly agree with Jim Ford, " disgusting in taste that it has to be drunk ice cold in order to numb the taste buds!"

Sorry to beer lovers me prefer coffee.

All my garbage so far.