Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 23rd October 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EM-5 mk2 Function Programming

Just about every review of the Olympus EM5 mk2 makes the point that the menu system is large and complex. Most owners, including me, therefore initially approach the task of setting up a new camera with some trepidation.

I would certainly not claim to be a computer geek, but having become used to the menu system of my old Lumix G2 I found it to be quite logical, and well-described in the handbook . . . except for the matter of customising the function buttons and other programmable controls.

The description of this procedure in the handbook is rather obscure, with reference to ‘Myset’ configurations, but lacks a simple ‘by numbers’ approach. It was obviously written by someone who did not place themselves in the position of a normal person. Although many owners will not have a problem with this, other older people may like a few hints on the prodeure.

After an afternoon of failures I found that the procedure is simply to set the camera up in one of the ways you want – such as a 5 fps framing rate and C-AF – and use the menu to save this as a Myset. A Myset is simply a combination of the various functions you wish to be combined after pressing a customised Fn button.

Now assign that Myset to whatever control you fancy, such as Fn4. Operation of the Fn4 will then set the camera to 5 fps and C-AF, which can be confirmed on the Super Control Panel.

I would also have saved myself a lot of effort if I had realised that the Fn buttons do not operate instantly, and require a positive pressure for a second or so, the function being set on release.

I set mine for the following functions: Fn1 – exposure lock and spot metering, Fn2 – 5 fps drive with C-AF, Fn3 – live view or super control panel (default setting) Fn4 – digital zoom (handy for a fine focus check) movie recording – 10 second delayed action shutter release.
Old 23rd October 2018

Liked 788 Times in 228 Posts
Re: EM-5 mk2 Function Programming

I am glad you worked it out in the end!
I have assigned the 4 MySets to the P, iAuto, Scene and Photo Story modes on the Mode Dial which leaves the function buttons available for all sorts of other things, but to be honest, I forget what function I have assigned to which button! You can (I think) make the function buttons do different things under each MySet and then when you factor in the effect the lever can have on how you access some settings my brain turns to mince - it is an age thing :-)

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 23rd October 2018

Liked 216 Times in 70 Posts

I’ve yet to try it, but apparently a neat trick to have one button selecting any of your mysets....

Assign whichever button to myset1

Then within myset1 have this button assigned to myset2
Then within myset 2 assign it to myset3
Etc
Finally in your last used myset assign it back to myset 1

Thus upon pressing the button repeatedly it will scroll through the mysets, and dislay the selected one on screen.

I still wish we could name them though.
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (23rd October 2018)
Old 23rd October 2018

Liked 788 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Iíve yet to try it, but apparently a neat trick to have one button selecting any of your mysets....

Assign whichever button to myset1

Then within myset1 have this button assigned to myset2
Then within myset 2 assign it to myset3
Etc
Finally in your last used myset assign it back to myset 1

Thus upon pressing the button repeatedly it will scroll through the mysets, and dislay the selected one on screen.

I still wish we could name them though.
That sounds like an interesting solution! It also sounds like quite a challenge to set it up, but I might just try; thanks for mentioning it Chris.

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
chris (23rd October 2018)