Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Lens service advice/experience?

Can anyone please offer any advice or experience of current Oly lens servicing?

Is it best to call the 00800 number, or go via a good local dealer, or doesn't it make any difference? I don't have either of the special service packages.

My 300mm f4 has led a hard life over the past 15 months, culminating in the lens hood jamming 'out' on the last day of my recent Botswana/SA trip. During this, my gear spent most of its time in a very dusty environment on game drives (and frankly I'm surprised that nothing else seems to have been affected, both E-M1ii sensors remained clean and no body or lens controls have felt gritty).

In the past few days I also had a couple of instances when electrical connections between the 300 and the body were lost (cured each time by cleaning the bayonets & contacts and re-fitting the lens).

I don't fancy forcing the hood more than I have tried unsuccessfully already, and I think the whole lens deserves a clean, lubricate and service.

Any thoughts most welcome.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 228 Times in 99 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Lens service advice/experience?

Johnsons of Glasgow sorted my 300/4 when out of warranty.

Are you going to post photos of your trip? We're booked for another to the Kruger in February.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 2nd October 2018

Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,180 Posts
Liked 1,847 Times in 921 Posts

I'd take it to Luton camera repairs as it's close to you. They did a superb job on the ones I had cleaned.
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 679 Times in 460 Posts

Second vote for Luton, they have done a few bits of mine over the years and always been excellent. In my experience they are chatty and helpful on the phone but not so responsive with email.

http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/

John
Old 2nd October 2018

Good thinking, thanks.
I've used them for lots of hard-to-find spares over the years, but only once for a repair (when I threw my OM-1 down Helvellyn and cracked a viewfinder element ).

As you say, they are great via the phone and I'm sure they'll give me good advice.

I did send in my EPL-2 years ago via Campkins in Cambridge when the sensor died, and they were fine, but I do trust LC more.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 2nd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Johnsons of Glasgow sorted my 300/4 when out of warranty.

Are you going to post photos of your trip? We're booked for another to the Kruger in February.
Sure will, but since we only landed at Heathrow at 05.30 yesterday it's probably going to take me a little while to get to that stage! Actually I'll post links to my web pages - that saves ages uploading images to various places and forgetting what you've sent where.

We had a fantastic time - 9 days of game drives and boat trips in Botswana, with some wonderful wildlife experiences. For example, for the first 7 days we had one prolonged leopard encounter every day.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Melaka (2nd October 2018), RobEW (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

The lens hood on my new 300mm f4 became stuck, seem to remember I'd not even attached it to the camera !
Google turned up someone's remedy, using a hairdryer to very gently warm the hood around the area where stuck.
Was little bit apprehensive but with great relief it became free almost instantly.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bassman For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
The lens hood on my new 300mm f4 became stuck, seem to remember I'd not even attached it to the camera !
Google turned up someone's remedy, using a hairdryer to very gently warm the hood around the area where stuck.
Was little bit apprehensive but with great relief it became free almost instantly.

Mark
Worth a go, thanks.
I'll get the Management's equipment in to (gentle) action tomorrow. If it works and what I assume is grit cleared out, I'm certainly happy to see if the connection problem returns before consulting Luton.
Cheers.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 2,596 Times in 802 Posts

I find the lens hood on mine sometimes sticks if I try to turn it by holding it at the base. I think the fact that I am squeezing in on opposite sides makes it distort slightly and bind. I have more success if I pinch one side of the rim between my fingers and thumb and turn it like that. Just an observation.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (3rd October 2018)
Old 3rd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Worth a go, thanks.
I'll get the Management's equipment in to (gentle) action tomorrow. If it works and what I assume is grit cleared out, I'm certainly happy to see if the connection problem returns before consulting Luton.
Cheers.
Sorted, many thanks

The hood felt slightly gritty on first moving, and with a bit of gentle turing and sliding a couple of tiny pieces of Okavango grit came out, and it's now fine.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions: if the contact problem recurs I'll discuss it with Luton cameras.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
bassman (3rd October 2018)
Old 3rd October 2018

Liked 1,407 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I find the lens hood on mine sometimes sticks if I try to turn it by holding it at the base. I think the fact that I am squeezing in on opposite sides makes it distort slightly and bind. I have more success if I pinch one side of the rim between my fingers and thumb and turn it like that. Just an observation.
I've stated several times before, that lens hoods won't stick if the bayonet is lubricated with a dry ptfe lubricant. I also do the zoom barrels of my lenses to maintain smooth action and prevent the seals being displaced.

Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (3rd October 2018), OM USer (4th October 2018)
Old 3rd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I've stated several times before, that lens hoods won't stick if the bayonet is lubricated with a dry ptfe lubricant. I also do the zoom barrels of my lenses to maintain smooth action and prevent the seals being displaced.

Jim
Thanks, Jim.
Can you recommend any particular product?

Too much Oly gear.
Old 3rd October 2018

Liked 1,407 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Thanks, Jim.
Can you recommend any particular product?
I made a mistake - it's silicone lubricant!

I think it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Profess...cone+lubricant

(I went to where I normally keep it to check, but it's not there. I must have lent it to someone!)

What I do is to spray it on a tissue and then wipe the surfaces. I don't apply the spray directly. It doesn't leave a visible deposit that can wipe off, but it gives a 'silky' feel to the surface. I'm certain that the silky feel of the metal surfaces of a new lens is due the the use of silicone during assembly.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (3rd October 2018)
Old 3rd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I made a mistake - it's silicone lubricant!

I think it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Profess...cone+lubricant

(I went to where I normally keep it to check, but it's not there. I must have lent it to someone!)

What I do is to spray it on a tissue and then wipe the surfaces. I don't apply the spray directly. It doesn't leave a visible deposit that can wipe off, but it gives a 'silky' feel to the surface. I'm certain that the silky feel of the metal surfaces of a new lens is due the the use of silicone during assembly.

Jim
Great, they have a sale.

I used something similar when I had various British sports cars with early electric windows (e.g. 1972 Lotus Elan +2) where the door motors weren't powerful enough to shift the glass reliably when it was cold and/or wet. A bit smeary, but it meant you didn't have to drive home in freezing conditions with the windows stuck open...

Some people used WD40, but found it made some of the window seal rubbers swell, exacerbating the problem.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 3rd October 2018

Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

I’ve just had my 300mm Pro returned from an Olympus service in Portugal.
I had decided to take out the Advanced Pro Service scheme as my 300mm Pro is almost used as a standard lens, so is very well used throughout the year - an annual service and check of calibration, etc. was therefore important to me. The scheme also covers my E-M1 MkII plus other pro lenses. As my camera and battery grip rubber grips on both were beginning to peel away on the corners they too were also sent off with the lens.
The package was picked up on a Wednesday and were back to me on the following Tuesday, so very satisfied with that. DHL Express informed me when the package was on its way back and due delivery day.
For the lens, it was returned with a note stating that the lens hood had been replaced - I hadn’t had a problem but it was an early version that may have been linked to some previously reported lens hood problems. Without the original it’s easy to forget what has changed, but it feels slightly different and is now marked with an arrow on opposite sides of the hood with the word ‘unlock’ above (if I remember correctly the last hood didn’t have this). So I assume that this new hood is a fix to improve the hood locking in-place issues, as you have also noted.
The accompanying note also states that the product has been cleaned and checked; system diagnostics; lens calibration; worn cosmetic parts changed; resolution test; firmware update; and exterior cleaning.
Following camera and lens service, I am happy with results of the few photos taken since, and I am more than happy to actively encourage fellow Olympus Europe users to consider the Pro Service plans as a relatively low cost means of ensuring that your camera/lens combo is kept to its best. So a big thumbs up so far from me!
Cheers
Chris
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4th October 2018), bassman (4th October 2018)