Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 28th January 2017

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts
Beware Peak Design lookalikes.

Looking for a camera strap that I could easily change from a hand strap to a shoulder strap I found something on eBay that was exactly what I was looking for. The price was trivial, something like £12 for the shoulder strap plus the hand strap and 4 connectors. I did not know of PeakDesign products at the time but I now know it appears to be a copy of their product. I wondered why anyone would buy the much more expensive Peak Design product, but recently I found out. One end of the rarely used shoulder strap has split apart and will no longer support the camera. Amazon uk are selling a similar design for just a couple of pounds , but it is not by Peak design. See a couple of before and after images of my failed quick release connector.

My Olympus M1 and lens had a lucky escape.
I have already replaced this junk with the real thing but I am surprised that the Peak Design connector shows the same weak area as the copy. I just hope for the crazy high price for a few bits of plastic, that Peak Design use a better type of plastic than the failed item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken but not Peak Design.jpg (57.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Not Peak Design.jpg (65.6 KB, 42 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyC For This Useful Post:
OM USer (28th January 2017)
Old 28th January 2017

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Beware Peak Design lookalikes.

I note that the Peak Design version of the plastic buckles are shaped differently, but I suspect the real cause of the failure is down to pooor quality materials. I have had similar failures with cheap luggage straps when after a short period of use the plastic buckles just fracture. I now have some with ABS buckles which you could hit with a sledghammer and not damage them.

I'm pleased to hear that your camera was safe.
Old 28th January 2017

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts
Re: Beware Peak Design lookalikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
I note that the Peak Design version of the plastic buckles are shaped differently, but I suspect the real cause of the failure is down to pooor quality materials. I have had similar failures with cheap luggage straps when after a short period of use the plastic buckles just fracture. I now have some with ABS buckles which you could hit with a sledghammer and not damage them.

I'm pleased to hear that your camera was safe.
It is interesting that you note that the Peak Design bits are differently shaped. Have a look at this image of the Peak Design item and the copy. Only the "pd" logo on the button distinguishes the difference unless you look very hard. I think one could easily mistake the fake for the real item. I am sure that bad material choice was the cause of failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peak and Fake.jpg (61.8 KB, 26 views)