Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th January 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,503 Times in 856 Posts
A fitting Tribute

Ian posted this fitting tribute on Face Book...

https://youtu.be/KaOC9danxNo

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (11th January 2016), Olybirder (11th January 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Imageryone (12th January 2016), Ross the fiddler (11th January 2016), Zuiko (11th January 2016)
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 2,572 Times in 799 Posts
Re: A fitting Tribute

Definitely a fitting tribute recorded in the ultimate setting.

Pop stars come and go (with increasing regularity as I get older) but I was stunned when they announced David Bowie's death on the radio this morning. They have been playing his recordings all day and the number and variety of them is extraordinary. 'Lazarus' from his recently released album 'Blackstar' has become one of my favourite tracks since I first heard it and watching the video in light of today's news is extremely powerful stuff.

RIP David Bowie.

The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (11th January 2016)
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 454 Times in 213 Posts

The subject of many great portraits.
Old 11th January 2016
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie

A great loss to the world of music.

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 479 Times in 338 Posts

Interesting how the voices of Radio 4 were so affected today by Bowie's death, then you realise that they were of an impressionable age when Bowie was getting going ie teenagers in the 70's when music media was going full swing.

Whereas for my generation it was Richard Dimbleby as the voice of mementus events, his passing had this effect (but at a lesser volume)
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 323 Times in 219 Posts

The Master of Reinvention. I was a Bowie fan from 1971 and saw him in his Hunky Dory/Ziggy Stardust guise in 1972.
Can't believe he's gone. In a little over 6 months we have lost Chris Squire (Yes), Lemmy (Motorhead), and now perhaps the biggest name in popular culture of the past 60 years.
RIP David.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

At the risk of upsetting a few people on this forum, really , Buddy Holly, Elvis, Hendrix, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, Nick Drake, Ian Dury, all inspirational in their own way, God forbid the day the master Bob Dylan should leave us, ps sorry I missed the wonderful mr Freddy Murcury off my list.
Barr1e (11th January 2016), Graham_of_Rainham (12th January 2016), Naughty Nigel (11th January 2016)
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 1,981 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
At the risk of upsetting a few people on this forum, really , Buddy Holly, Elvis, Hendrix, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, Nick Drake, Ian Dury, all inspirational in their own way, God forbid the day the master Bob Dylan should leave us, ps sorry I missed the wonderful mr Freddy Murcury off my list.
All of these musicians have been very influential in their own way, and I suspect their music will still be familiar in 100 years time.

Whether they have the everlasting influence of (say) JS Bach, Handel or Mozart is another matter, but of course these composers wrote and performed completely different genres of music.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Sorry Freddie spelt your name wrong, have been to the pub, sincere apologies.
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Good point Nigel, but I can still sing along with Buddy, 57 years after he past on, but I do like Bach man turner overdrive, if I'm being facetious i apologise.
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 1,406 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
All of these musicians have been very influential in their own way, and I suspect their music will still be familiar in 100 years time.
I very much doubt it!

Who can remember the pop sensations of the early 50s? Err - Johnny Ray, err, err? Popular music is ephemeral. Last years hits are stale this year.

Jim
Old 11th January 2016

Liked 222 Times in 121 Posts

Just around the corner from our house, lived two absolutely beautiful girls. Across their chests they wore the embroidered name of Johnny Ray, I'll never forget him for the pleasure he generated! Didn't he sing Hernando's Hideaway?

David
Old 12th January 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,037 Times in 2,358 Posts
Liked 4,224 Times in 1,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Whether they have the everlasting influence of (say) JS Bach, Handel or Mozart is another matter, but of course these composers wrote and performed completely different genres of music.
That's an interesting question, but we will never know the answer! However, it occurs to me that there are relatively few classical composers still widely remembered today when you consider how long the genre has been established. There must be many classical composers from previous centuries who were popular at the time but long ago faded into obscurity.

I suspect it will be the same with the artists of today; Bowie remembered 100 years hence? Probably. Bieber? Probably not. Interestingly, in the case of my two favourite bands, I will say that Pink Floyd will almost certainly be remembered into the next century and beyond but Yes, probably not. That's no reflection upon the individual or collective musical skills of the latter, in fact Yes are probably superior to the Floyd in many ways, but Yes remained relatively obscure outside the progressive rock genre whereas Floyd gained more general and widespread recognition. As with Bowie, I heard about the sad death of Richard Wright either on the day or day after it happened. It shocked me to the core when I learned about the death of Chris Squire (extremely talented bass guitarist and founder member of Yes) about 6 months after it happened. How could one of my music heroes slip away like that without me even noticing? I guess the band have never gained the recognition they deserve outside of their discerning fan base and talent, innovation and creativity are not enough to ensure that your name, at least, will remain immortal.

Earlier in this post I wonder how many really talented classical composers have faded into undeserved obscurity over the centuries. Maybe not as many as I think, because they have the advantage of their music being performed by many orchestras etc, whereas today's bands tend to just play their own material. The exceptions are the burgeoning tribute bands that help perpetuate many of the older pop songs and bands like the Beatles, whose hits are regularly covered by other artists. I recently heard that "Yesterday" is the most covered pop song of all time, with literally thousands of performances.

Widely covered too is the work of the Bee Gees. You probably know far more pop standards composed by the Gibb brothers than you realise! Performers as diverse as Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell, Backstreet Boys, Steps and Acker Bilk amongst many others have all enjoyed massive hits with Bee Gees compositions.

Advantages that modern musicians have over performers of all genres in the past are audio recordings, which have improved exponentially in quality since the early days of 78s and video, both of which are easily archived for future generations to enjoy.

So the question of whether classical or pop music has the greatest longevity remains unanswered, but we are fortunate to be amongst the first generations able to freely access and appreciate both genres. I am confident that this will continue well into the future and 100 years hence our descendants will be able to enjoy either Beethoven or Bowie, but maybe not Bieber!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
benvendetta (12th January 2016), Graham_of_Rainham (12th January 2016)
Old 12th January 2016

Thanked 1,254 Times in 1,171 Posts
Liked 1,826 Times in 908 Posts

Sad about Bowie but until I read this thread I didn't know about Chris Squire either John - as a Yes fan myself it's not a happy day. One of my regrets is I never got to see them live. Had an opportunity once but for some reason I can't now remember ended up not going
Old 12th January 2016

Liked 1,116 Times in 641 Posts

I saw Yes a couple of times back in the 1970s, but certainly regret never seeing Bowie.

On the other hand, I did see Chris Hatfield at the Eventim Apollo in the Brian Cox/Robin Ince show just before Christmas!

Putting aside his modest musical skills, he's a genuine All-Canadian hero and excellent science advocate and educator.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.