Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 21st September 2015

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Olympus EM5 MkII and Manual Focus Lens?

I am looking to expand my lens range and one that I really do fancy is the new Lensbaby Velvet 56.

The thing is that this lens has no electronics in it, from what I can work out, so couple of questions:

How easy is it to use these types of lens on the Em5 MkII, I assume you would be using the peaking function? (never used it myself)

Also as the camera body has IS built in then I am right in thinking that this will work with the lens as well?

Thanks.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 21st September 2015

Liked 677 Times in 459 Posts
Re: Olympus EM5 MkII and Manual Focus Lens?

You could always try manual focus with a lens you already have, to get a feel for it.

The in-body IS should work, but it needs to know the focal length of the lens. With a system lens the electronics can work it out, for manual lenses there is an option to input the focal length. I can't remember exactly where it is and don't have a body or manual to hand, but I think it is pretty easy to find.

Good luck ... John
Old 21st September 2015

Liked 1,246 Times in 618 Posts
Re: Olympus EM5 MkII and Manual Focus Lens?

From Page 57 of the manual:

Choosing a focal length (Micro Four Thirds/Four Thirds System lenses excluded)
Use focal length information to reduce camera shake when shooting with lenses that are not Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds system lenses.
• Select [Image Stabilizer], press the INFO button, use HI to select a focal length, and press Q.
• Choose a focal length between 8mm and 1000mm.
• Choose the value that most closely matches to the one that is printed on the lens.
The Following User Liked This Post:
knikki (21st September 2015)