Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th September 2013

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Any tethering support with E-M1?

Hi
for those of you who are in the know , can someone please let know if there is any tethering support that comes with the software shipped with this camera?

ie can I see the images straight on my desktop (PC or Mac) if I am shooting with the USB cable attached (camera to PC/Mac).

Or does the WiFi support extend to a computer too, ie shoot straight from the camera into a specific directory that I can "watch" with Adobe Lightroom?

thx
DK
The Following User Says Thank You to dkayuk For This Useful Post:
tomphotofx (19th September 2013)
Old 23rd September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Any tethering support with E-M1?

On one of the early EM-1 threads (that camera) someone posted an Oly person in New York using Wifi tethering to tablet/smartphone - not sure about to computer ? but that vid may give you a few clues
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

No, it's wi-fi to an app which resides on iPad/Pod/Phone, or Android. Not sure if they're doing a Win8 app, but I'm pretty sure it won't extend across programs to LR or anything else.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd September 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts

I have consistently and repeatedly asked for the Olympus Viewer software to have the facility to "tether" as did the Studio software. Using the USB cable would be ok but WiFi would be ideal.

Even a simple WiFi transfer of jpg files to the PC, so that people in the studio can see what is being produced on a screen other than on the rear screen of the camera.

It would also be brilliant to have live view stream to the PC, such that it can be used as a big viewfinder. I do demos and presentations where I often stream from the camera to a digital projector, so having this would be a bonus.

I have sent several suggestions to Olympus and have received positive response, but it has never happened. I have a workaround with the FlashAir card, but it's still not as good as Studio 2 was, years ago, and something that I would really like to see restored to Olympus capability.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd September 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

I'm hoping some programmer gets hold of one and works out how to do it.
Old 23rd September 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
I'm hoping some programmer gets hold of one and works out how to do it.
At the moment I have used "WebRipper" to poll the Flashair Card configured to read the files into a folder. I'd need to set up Lightroom to monitor that folder.

However my ancient laptop will not run LR5 so I guess it's time to update to a tablet that will run the Olympus OIshare.

Just have to wait and see what comes next.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
No, it's wi-fi to an app which resides on iPad/Pod/Phone, or Android. Not sure if they're doing a Win8 app, but I'm pretty sure it won't extend across programs to LR or anything else.
OK, if I am using the camera shutter (or shutter release cable) to take the picture, then will my picture appear on the iPad - does the app work this way?

thx
DK
Old 23rd September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayuk View Post
OK, if I am using the camera shutter (or shutter release cable) to take the picture, then will my picture appear on the iPad - does the app work this way?

thx
DK
As far as I can tell, based on my short time with it, once the camera is connected via wi-fi to the app on the tablet, then the tablet takes over control, so you have to control the camera via the on-tablet display. Camera controls are de-activated.

Ian has played with this for much longer than me, maybe he can better answer this question.

My Flickr site
Old 23rd September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
As far as I can tell, based on my short time with it, once the camera is connected via wi-fi to the app on the tablet, then the tablet takes over control, so you have to control the camera via the on-tablet display. Camera controls are de-activated.

Ian has played with this for much longer than me, maybe he can better answer this question.
Yes Stephen is correct see that video of the Oly chap in NY NY
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd September 2013

thanks to everyone for their replies.

DK
Old 23rd September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,205 Posts
Liked 1,584 Times in 704 Posts

The Olympus Image Share App for Android and iOS (tablets and smartphones) works with:
  • Almost any camera using a Toshiba FlashAir card (image transfer and sharing only).
  • The Pen E-PM2 and E-PL5 - these cameras have basic support for FlashAir in camera menus (image transfer and sharing only).
  • Pen E-P5 - adds live viewing and touch focus/shutter function (iAuto only).
  • OM-D E-M1 - adds PASM modes.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (23rd September 2013)
Old 23rd September 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:

not sure about the camera controls being de-activated bit - whilst I was monitoring the viewfinder and shooting via my Galaxy S2, I also used the connection to view the image files and select/downloaded images to my phone while someone else was shooting.

now, in the moment, it was hard to remember exactly who was pushing buttons when, but I got the impression that the camera responded to either control ie oishare wasn't disabled when the camera was being shot so it's ability to shoot remained live - I think

I have to agree with Graham - currently it's going to be android or iOS device running OIshare either being used direct (a big iPad ) or independently linked/synched to an external screen, or even projector!

As for lightroom, they seem to be going the other way as you can now apply the art filters and other picture settings direct to the image file via your mobile and Oishare before sending direct to the printer/printers!

I wish I had taken the iPad mini with me to use for this as I can see a number of useful applications - I still remain slightly confused about the need for a WLAN in the background to enable all this (or not) especially given the GPS data tagging capability that they run alongside. No doubt all will become clearer (although the manual didn't help in this respect)
Old 23rd September 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
I still remain slightly confused about the need for a WLAN in the background to enable all this (or not)
I was under the impression that the camera effectively provided the network SSID for the Android/iOS device to connect to. So you ought to be able to use the facility to transfer images from the camera to the device anywhere as long as camera and device can see each other. Right?
Old 23rd September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

There is no need for a WLAN. When Ian tried the system at my house it didn't access my WLAN - definitely.

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
bilbo (23rd September 2013)
Old 25th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,205 Posts
Liked 1,584 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
not sure about the camera controls being de-activated bit - whilst I was monitoring the viewfinder and shooting via my Galaxy S2, I also used the connection to view the image files and select/downloaded images to my phone while someone else was shooting.

now, in the moment, it was hard to remember exactly who was pushing buttons when, but I got the impression that the camera responded to either control ie oishare wasn't disabled when the camera was being shot so it's ability to shoot remained live - I think

I have to agree with Graham - currently it's going to be android or iOS device running OIshare either being used direct (a big iPad ) or independently linked/synched to an external screen, or even projector!

As for lightroom, they seem to be going the other way as you can now apply the art filters and other picture settings direct to the image file via your mobile and Oishare before sending direct to the printer/printers!

I wish I had taken the iPad mini with me to use for this as I can see a number of useful applications - I still remain slightly confused about the need for a WLAN in the background to enable all this (or not) especially given the GPS data tagging capability that they run alongside. No doubt all will become clearer (although the manual didn't help in this respect)
If you are using a FlashAir card there is no camera control at all so the camera simply works as usual and you can access photos via wifi on the FlashAir card at any time.

However, with the E-P5 and E-M1 when you are in remote control mode the camera is locked up and you can only take photos by remote control from the linked device. I tried to connect more than one device at the same time to an E-P5 but only one would work. I would expect the E-M1 to be the same but I don't have one here to try at the moment.

There is no need for a separate WLAN or router - the connection is peer-peer.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com