Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th September 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Buying EM1 in Oz?

Its the same with every new model announcement over the last few years i have eventually given in and upgraded. The only exception was with the E5. This year i am of to Oz for Xmas and looking at reviews etc i thought i would check out prices down under before buying one here. Poor exchange rates seemed to have bottomed out and are on the up in favour of the . Aussies have introduced in April 2013 a Tourist Rebate Scheme whereby if you buy an item in a store over $300 you show your receipt and item after passing through immigration at the airport and 10% of the price paid is refunded to your credit card.

What does this mean financially?

Teds cameras has a Body at $1599. A body with the 12-40 f2.8 is $2399.

In real money terms that is 941 body only or with the lens included 1412 at todays exchange rates.

If i have read the blurb correctly a further 10% is retuned by way of the Tourist Rebate Scheme on leaving the country.

This means the body is 847 and with the 12-40 lens is 1271

Has anyone had any experience of the TRS and of bringing cameras back into the country from outside the EU and of the Duties to be paid in the UK?

David
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts
Re: Buying EM1 in Oz?

There's no import duty on cameras - just 20% VAT.

EDIT: That seems to be true for importing from the US, but possibly 4.2% Import duty (plus the VAT) from Australia...

RE-EDIT: See http://www.ukimports.org/taric.html You need to click on the link "Click here to the EC Taric website" and try to find digital cameras...
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
Haisbro (17th September 2013)