Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 17th March 2019

Liked 205 Times in 134 Posts
Re: F1.2 pro glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
......for me doing street photography of small groups of people around 12-15’ away, 17mm at f1.2 gives around 18” dof, while f1.8 is around 5’. In terms of subject isolation that’s usually closer to ‘major’ than ‘slight’ in my view.

I was surprised to read of such a large difference, so I checked with the Cambridge in Colour DoF calculator. Of course, DoF is not a 'hard and fast' calculation and depends a lot on how you define 'sharpness' but, using their rather strict criteria of viewing a 20" print from 25 cm (less than a foot away), the results I got were:

17mm at f/1.2, subject at 12': DoF= 2.95'

17mm at f/1.8, subject at 12': DoF= 4.5'

Significant, yes, but not as 'major' as you suggested. Also, if you were photographing a 'group' of people, might not the greater depth of field be considered more useful?
Old 17th March 2019

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I was surprised to read of such a large difference, so I checked with the Cambridge in Colour DoF calculator. Of course, DoF is not a 'hard and fast' calculation and depends a lot on how you define 'sharpness' but, using their rather strict criteria of viewing a 20" print from 25 cm (less than a foot away), the results I got were:

17mm at f/1.2, subject at 12': DoF= 2.95'

17mm at f/1.8, subject at 12': DoF= 4.5'

Significant, yes, but not as 'major' as you suggested. Also, if you were photographing a 'group' of people, might not the greater depth of field be considered more useful?
I was using the Depth of Field Calc iOS app, and settings for 15’ - yes, as you say, this will depend a lot on how you define dof (which isn’t a set quantity visually anyway, gradually fading away and also depending on a lot of light and subject variables).

Yes, I thought I’d covered the two sorts of image I mainly take - one picking out a single person (for which f1.2 is ideal) and the other covering a group (all of which one wants in acceptable focus).

In the past I have fiddled about in PP trying to get a believable enhanced fall-off of focus with distance, but I gave up trying quite quickly. Maybe others have better PP skills than I, but after getting the 17 f1.2 I was able to stop worrying about it.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th March 2019

Liked 205 Times in 134 Posts

Since drmarkf mentioned an iOS App, I might also point out that the Focos App, which works far twin-lens iPhones, can produce the effect of a wide-aperture lens automatically.