Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 20th January 2019

Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Ricoh, the problem was, with the mount missing, there were holes into the body which would allow the wet in. I did think of filling it up with epoxy resin though.
David
Old 1st April 2019

Liked 184 Times in 125 Posts

I've just had a similar experience with an old E-M1 which I bought used. the right hand mound detached from the camera body, and there is no sign of the two screws, though some rattling. Fortunately it happened when the camera was supported (I was pulling it out of the camera bag ) so no damage. But disappointing. I don't feel like attempting the repair. Seems like a design / quality control fault.
Old 1st April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I find bad design so annoying. It wouldn't take much imagination to make the design fail-safe.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (1st April 2019)
Old 2nd April 2019

I don't suppose there's any chance that Olympus would repair it at their own cost, given that it appears to be a design fault and a regular known problem? It's quite an old camera, bought used, not in warranty.
Old 2nd April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I don't suppose there's any chance that Olympus would repair it at their own cost, given that it appears to be a design fault and a regular known problem? It's quite an old camera, bought used, not in warranty.
It's only my opinion - maybe shared by others, especially those who have trashed their cameras - that the eyelets should be fail safe (in respect of a single point failure) so you could write to them offering your opinion, but they're likely to suggest assembly error or the eyelet design being 'fit for purpose' based on a life expectation of 'X' hours that's been exceeded based on the age of the camera.

on flickr
Old 2nd April 2019

Liked 3,302 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
You can try, but don't get your hopes up. As second hand, you don't know its treatment in the past. But the EM1 did seem to have that failure as standard.

If you are going to stick with the camera, maybe a professional repair might be best...Good luck..

My Flickr
RobEW (2nd April 2019)
Old 2nd April 2019

Oddly, I find that when registering products on the MyOlympus website, it asks for a purchase date, and doesn't specify that this has to be from new, so I innocently put in the date when I purchased the device, used, and it then populates the warranty date field with a date 2 years later. I'm not trying to mislead, but - if they honour a warranty to that date - seem to be getting more than I imagined. Can there really be such a loophole? No proof of purchase date requested at all ...
Old 2nd April 2019

I thought I was in luck when I registered my Grey Imports. But a few days later they had been deleted from my register......

My Flickr
RobEW (2nd April 2019)
Old 2nd April 2019

Ah - I see. Maybe that will happen to mine.
Old 2nd April 2019

Liked 204 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Oddly, I find that when registering products on the MyOlympus website, it asks for a purchase date, and doesn't specify that this has to be from new, so I innocently put in the date when I purchased the device, used, and it then populates the warranty date field with a date 2 years later. I'm not trying to mislead, but - if they honour a warranty to that date - seem to be getting more than I imagined. Can there really be such a loophole? No proof of purchase date requested at all ...

They ask for proof of purchase when you make a claim.
Old 2nd April 2019

Liked 107 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Very poor, not something that should ever fail under normal circumstances.
Considering its a known condition the least they could do is repair it FOC.

Canon did free repairs and still do I believe with the 5D and the detaching mirror fault. Fuji replaced the constantly falling off eyecup (and associated EVF assembly) on my X-Pro2 when it was out of warranty.
Both of the above were recognised failures and the companies concerned did the honourable thing.
Nikon did too with the oil splatter on their D600, took them a while to accept it though.
Old 15th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
You can try, but don't get your hopes up. As second hand, you don't know its treatment in the past. But the EM1 did seem to have that failure as standard.

If you are going to stick with the camera, maybe a professional repair might be best...Good luck..
They appear to have done it for nothing. I sent it in at their cost, had an acknowledgement to say they'd received it and would consult me if they had any questions, and now have a text to say it's on its way back. Looking forward to its return, as I've heard they tend to give it a sensor clean and general tidy up as well. Though as I now have a used E-M1 II it will only be used as a spare body (or perhaps even sold on).
Old 15th April 2019

Good luck with the repair. I have sent Oly's back for repair (EPL5 & lenses) and have found in return they has been thoroughly serviced (as far as I can see).

My Flickr
RobEW (15th April 2019)
Old 16th April 2019

Well - I have it back. Not sure how I would know whether it has been serviced; the receipt only mentions the repair. I think the exterior has been cleaned; not sure about the sensor. Now I have to reinstate all my settings and MySets. Still it's very pleasing to have a fix done on an old camera for nothing - albeit from a fault such equipment shouldn't have.
MJ224 (16th April 2019)