Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 4th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Olympus announces midrange E-30 dSLR, plus new version of the 14-54mm lens

November 3, 2008

I found this article when I visited a certain other Olympus forum, details of the new Olympus E-30. The body seems to be more expensive than I thought it would be at $1299. But what I find really surprising is that a new version of the 14-54 lens is to be released,the Zuiko 14-54mm II f2.8-3.5. Here is the web link;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

I will be interested to read your thoughts on this announcement.

Cheers

Chris
Old 4th November 2008
ndl0071

Re: Olympus announces midrange E-30 dSLR, plus new version of the 14-54mm lens

As an E1/E510 user, this new model at first glance doesnít look very attractive, the only new feature worth looking at for me is the new 12mp chip, what Iím really waiting for is the upgrade for the E3 as weather sealing is a must for me.

So whilst itís good to see development from Olympus, itís thanks but no thanks from me.
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Looks nice, but I believe E-3 bodies are now going for around $1400 in the States, and probably the same here once you get your free FL-50R and sell it on afterwards - would you pay $1300 for the E30 body? Surely there has to be more of a price difference between the two models than $100?
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At the price quoted I think it is a non starter - For me the E-3 is off the radar for some time + I don't need weather proofing (I do! the camera doesn't!) I was hoping this would be my salvation. Why do they insist on putting such crappy features in that no self respecting photographer would use anyway??
I think Nikon have got it right with the D90 (not convinced by the video option though). The only good points I could see were reticulating screen and 12mp sensor, someone is not keeping their eye on the ball at Olympus - get a grip guys!
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They'll have to do a lot better on price IMHO, although some megapixel junkies may bite. I don't see anything that would make the E30 a better proposition than the E3 for my next camera. I agree with ndl0071 - in our vile climate, weather sealing is almost an essential...
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These comments seem quite harsh to me, looks like the E-30 meets current "mid-range" criteria quite well, plus being 4/3rds it has access to the best real-world optics in the market. Compared to a E510/520, its got a bigger viewfinder, 5fps continuous shooting, advanced 11-point focussing, 12MP resolution (probably with better noise control >400 ISO) plus the USP of articulating LCD. These are the features needed to compete with the D90 and others.

Ive got an E520 and about to get an E-3. Subject to just how important the weather proofing turns out to be for me or how how often the extra size and weight means I'm tempted to leave it at home, I can see potential for swapping those two bodies for the E-30 - best of both worlds. No mention of SWD on the E-30, so I guess that's a E-3 unique?
Old 4th November 2008
E-P1 fan

Hmmn - possibly another Oly mistake I think! Expect a bit of a drubbing in AP. Dear dear - just when I thought they were back on track with a reasonably cohesive and incremental dslr range.

I really don't like the way Oly seem to constantly drop models - and almost wash their hands of them and forget they ever made them (look for E-1 on the Oly site - it's a quest), and bring out yet more new models and sub-models. We know that's the business norm etc but really - Oly seem to be a bit out of control.

The only good thing I can see from these releases is that the gear junkies might buy the new 14 - 54mm and sell their originals.

If you haven't already got one of these - bite their hands off! It's a great lens.
Old 4th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Er, this news is 24 hours premature

Ah well...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Er, this news is 24 hours premature

Ah well...

Ian
Thats the power of the internet Ian (and unfortunate lack of coordination in release info by Oly).

I think Oly have got this about right except perhaps the price.

One of the interesting things for me though is in the comparison table. I have been banging on for some time about a need to have more dynamic range in lightness levels and find that the Canon example is using 14bit colour depth whereas all the others are on the standard 12bit colour depth.
I think this would have a far greater impact than the continual drive for more pixels - How about it Oly?
I appreciate that this would not make much difference to most users but I think its essential for wildlife shooting where subtle colour/shade differences are experienced and wide differences in lightness levels can make a vast difference in the final result if the camera can reproduce them.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 4th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thats the power of the internet Ian (and unfortunate lack of coordination in release info by Oly).

I think Oly have got this about right except perhaps the price.

One of the interesting things for me though is in the comparison table. I have been banging on for some time about a need to have more dynamic range in lightness levels and find that the Canon example is using 14bit colour depth whereas all the others are on the standard 12bit colour depth.
I think this would have a far greater impact than the continual drive for more pixels - How about it Oly?
I appreciate that this would not make much difference to most users but I think its essential for wildlife shooting where subtle colour/shade differences are experienced and wide differences in lightness levels can make a vast difference in the final result if the camera can reproduce them.

Peter
You can't blame Olympus, it was C-Net that jumped the gun.

Has anyone spotted that there is an electronic level indicator? Oops - still under embargo!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th November 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Well, I've just bought myself an E-3, and I'm glad I didn't wait for this newcomer. It doesn't offer me any "must have" features over the E-3 (and not many over the E-520) yet at the same time it doesn't tempt me with a price benefit. I'm not attracted by 12 megapixels - it's how you use them, not how many you have!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You can't blame Olympus, it was C-Net that jumped the gun.

Has anyone spotted that there is an electronic level indicator? Oops - still under embargo!

Ian
But C-Net got the info from somewhere. Seriously Ian, Olympus (and others) could make better use of the internet than they currently do. They should be the first to make an announcement and, given the differences in time zones, it should be announced from one site. Local information on pricing could be released later. At least that way the manufacturer remains in control at the time of launching a new product.

I did notice the electronic level indicator but wonder how much such a feature would be used. Nice headline but I suspect of limited value. I was more interested in the feature I picked out. But then again, we all have our own interests and wish lists.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 4th November 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Olympus announces midrange E-30 dSLR, plus new version of the 14-54mm lens

What a stange lot you all are I think this thing looks pretty much spot on! maybe not the price! but lets see what it hits the street at before we moan to much.

I would expect at least a few dust seals rather than full weatherproofing, the viewfinder spec looks useful, how does that compare to the E-1's? We have the better focus system of the E-3 and articulated screen and I'm guessing the G1's sensor that Ian thought performed well in his Photokina report.

I for one look forward to trying the E-30 it sounds like it could be just the ticket in the studio where I don't need it weatherproof, shoot at 100iso and would like some faster reflexes than the Exxx, plus it should be lighter than the E-3 which will also help.

Dave
Old 4th November 2008
gno

Hi All,

Anyone care to enlighten me on what

"It has a built-in electronic level, like the Nikon D3, which shows both pitch and roll" is
and
I 've also read the blurb and may have missed it but does the E-30 have any sort of weatherproofing and is it an alloy body or composite plastic?

Regards

Gavin
Old 4th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
Hi All,

Anyone care to enlighten me on what

"It has a built-in electronic level, like the Nikon D3, which shows both pitch and roll" is
and
I 've also read the blurb and may have missed it but does the E-30 have any sort of weatherproofing and is it an alloy body or composite plastic?

Regards

Gavin
Pitch is the vertical angle from the camera to the subject and roll is the angle, off horizontal. The way I see this is that this would be useful for tripod or monopod use but nothing else.

The E30 is not weatherproof nor is it an alloy body - from my understanding of the information supplied.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/