Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 24th May 2013

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
I hate computers....discs.

After all the years of having a computer where I don't understand or have success with things to do with it I think the "simple" part of copying stuff to a disc has the worse track record of the lot.
Because of this my computer is stacked full with files .....I had another go the other week at getting some on a disc BUT came to look at it today and cannot see anything.After putting the stuff on there I looked and it was there then.
This is what I see when I put disc in and click on My Computer...it shows there is a disc with almost full data on there.

When I click on it to view the files I get this.....

It is a DVD-R....DVD recordable /DVD inscriptible disc.

Anyone got any ideas what has happened.
Keith

SORRY - a pop up keeps appearing between the two images and blocking out the text.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: I hate computers....discs.

Because it is a rewritable disc and it is not full it is asking you to add images to it, if you want to see the images on it double left click on the dvd drive or riight click on it and select open and then wait a eternity for the thumbnails to display as it tries to read it.

Keith forget CD/DVD as they are unreliable, they use dyes on the disc to record info and you know what happens with dyes, and they are not at all like the DVD films you buy which are reliable.

Get yourself a external HD as a back up which are also easier and faster to write to than discs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
shirley (24th May 2013)
Old 24th May 2013

Thanks for replying Paul......Discs 1st...I double left click or right click and open and it just gets me to the 2nd stage where it says"drag files to this folder to ad to the disc".
I have looked at another one I did at the same time as this one but 3/4 full and the same happens with it.

EXTERNAL HD......I had everything backed up on on (£100 ..1TB ) can't remember the name but it was O.K. to start with but then the computer kept refusing to recognise it - this went on for ages.Every now and then it would work but it gave up finally....so all my stuff went and looks like doing so again.
My son says why bother with things like discs/HD'S when everything is on little portable things or even "in the sky" whatever that is....

Keith

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Ahh yes I think I remember now, its been that long since I burnt a disc, you have to finalise the disc before it can be read which also means you cannot add any more files to it.

I use two HD, one that is permanantly switched on and connected to the computer and one that is only used for backing up whats on HD 1 then if one fails I get another one to back up to, that way I always have a back up.

I'd never put all my eggs in one basket.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 24th May 2013

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,224 Posts
Liked 985 Times in 687 Posts

I have a 2x2TB Raid1 NAS in an attempt to provide some data protection. Works seemlessly and its DNLA interface allows me to stream music/pictures/video to the radio/TV.
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 857 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I have a 2x2TB Raid1 NAS in an attempt to provide some data protection. Works seemlessly and its DNLA interface allows me to stream music/pictures/video to the radio/TV.
I've got the same setup. The videos are wirelessly streamed from the NAS to a Raspberry Pi attached to the television. The software I use is the excellent XBMC.

Jim
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts

I'd agree with the comments that you need to finalise the DVD and then burn it.

Most importantly, as I read your disk configuration, you would appear to have all your documents & pictures etc. on your C drive.
This is, in my opinion anyway, a really bad move as when Windows eventually breaks, you might need to format C then re-install Windows and all programs. I'm sure you can see that this will lose all you personal data.

I'd seriously consider saving up for some sort of external hard disk drive and get everything backed up ASAP.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 146 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
EXTERNAL HD......I had everything backed up on on (100 ..1TB ) can't remember the name but it was O.K. to started with but then the computer kept refusing to recognise it - this went on for ages.Every now and then it would work but it gave up finally....so all my stuff went and looks like doing so again.
Buy another one and back everything up again.
If it shows any signs of being troublesome ...
buy yet another one and back everything up onto the new one.

Hey, that's backups for you. There is no better way.

I split my backups into different sorts of stuff with an external drive for each,
and keep the drives aways from the computers too.

Years ago I had some use from DVD-R & DVD-RW but won't use them these days : way too dodgy and fickle.
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, multi-layer backup is a good idea.
NAS1 is the working storage.
NAS2 automatically backs up NAS1.
NAS3 backs up only this year's images from NAS2.

Every time Maplin drop the price of a 3TB USB drive, I buy one and back up all the photos.
Then put it away with the date of the backup written on it.

Eventually I will run a network cable to the garage and have a separate backup there, maybe put NAS2 out there.
Old 24th May 2013

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

there are lots of decent options for storage on-line now at reasonable prices, I reckon that has to be the safest option.

The odds of an offsite backup losing your data and your hard rive breaking/getting burgled/ house burning down all at the same time have to be slim.

My zenfolio account isn't cheap but I get loads of functionality I need (£150 p.a) for that and share it with three others. There is unlimited storage on there.
Old 24th May 2013

Thanks guys for looking in....but 99% of the info has gone right over my head.

Two people say it needs to be finalised but one before I burn it and the other after....really confused now.

Ulfric says they are too fickle and dodgy but I think having to keep buying back up's for the back up's appears a bit too dodgy for me.

Why do they always have to be backed up and backed up and backed up.....looks like computers are not what they think they are.

Keith

Old 24th May 2013

"Most importantly, as I read your disk configuration, you would appear to have all your documents & pictures etc. on your C drive.".........

I have it like this because when I turned the computer on initially a few years ago and downloaded pics on to it they ended up where they are....as computers do not come with instructions or serving suggestions that is how it's stayed....on the bright side I have just read on the side of a can of beans how to get the beans out- how to heat them up and how to serve them...good job the rest of life is not as potentially hard to follow as a can of beans.

Keith

Old 28th May 2013

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,224 Posts
Liked 985 Times in 687 Posts

I follow the technology, albeit a bit sluggishly, which I why I only have the simple RAID 1 system I described above. I know I should move to a hot swap system with 3 drives. But for someone who expects computers to work when you switch them on (and in this day and age why shouldn't they) I would recommend looking at the "one click backup" systems offered by QVC. The interface is easy to use - just attach the device (a hard disk with auto run backup software) to a USB socket and click on the okay button when the software runs.