Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > General photography news from DPNow.com

General photography news from DPNow.com This board is updated by our sibling site, DPNow.com and lists new product and other news items that may be of interest to e-group members.

Old 19th December 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
For all you macro fans out there!

A 4.5:1 super macro lens for $199:

http://dpnow.com/20mm-super-macro-lens-mitakon/

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
dbutch (19th December 2016), OM USer (21st December 2016), Ross the fiddler (19th December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: For all you macro fans out there!

It's been pointed out this lens looks like an OM Zuiko macro of similar specifications?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th December 2016

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,897 Times in 1,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It's been pointed out this lens looks like an OM Zuiko macro of similar specifications?

Ian
It's interesting with such a short focal length, but then again, an OM28mm lens reversed is better than a 50mm lens (reversed) for macro on extension tubes or bellows.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

For high magnification you have to have a short focal length, otherwise the extension required becomes enormous (and the effective aperture becomes very slow). Think of a microscope - very short focal length and tiny working distance, but necessary to get high mag with a decent numerical aperture. This is 4.5x mag, so is not surprising it looks like a microscope objective.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

I never used the OM 20mm but it does look very similar. I still have the 38mm OM macro, I keep thinking I should make more use of it but never seem to find the time.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 20th December 2016

Liked 2,649 Times in 919 Posts

I dont think I will be bothering just now as I can get 3:1 out my 60mm f2.8 or Sigma 105 f2.8 and manage handheld shots.

This would be great for focus stacking on dead subjects though.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 20th December 2016

Liked 2,649 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
For high magnification you have to have a short focal length, otherwise the extension required becomes enormous (and the effective aperture becomes very slow). Think of a microscope - very short focal length and tiny working distance, but necessary to get high mag with a decent numerical aperture. This is 4.5x mag, so is not surprising it looks like a microscope objective.

Mark
Canon make the 65mm 2.8 MP E that shoots from 1:1 to 5:1 so it possible at longer focal lengths.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 20th December 2016

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Canon make the 65mm 2.8 MP E that shoots from 1:1 to 5:1 so it possible at longer focal lengths.
I seem to recall reading that the Canon has the field of view of a 65mm lens at 1:1 magnification and that the field of view changes as you increase magnification. So it doesn't need a lot of extension to get to 5:1.

The OM 38mm needs a lot of extension to get to 5:1.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 21st December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I am not familiar with that Canon lens, but let’s look at some general principals.

The relation between magnification M, focal length f and image distance S (measured from the second principal plane of the lens) is

S = f*(M+1)

(The * means ‘multiply’)

Thus when you have 5:1 magnification with a 65 mm lens, the image will be 65*(5+1) = 390mm away from the second principal plane of the lens. This is just physics.

In general, the second principal plane could be anywhere inside the lens or even outside the lens.(As an aside, a lens with the 2nd PP in front of the lens is called a telephoto lens, one with it after the last optical element is called retro-focal or inverse telephoto). However, when the lens is focussed at infinity, the second principal plane is exactly f away from the image, i.e. 65mm in this case.

So, if the 65mm lens were a simple type with all optical elements in a fixed position relative to each other, then moving from infinity focus to 5x mag would require moving the lens 325mm. This is of course perfectly feasible, if rather unwieldy, but would generally be done with a bellows rather than a helicoid mechanism.

It is also worth noting that the light intensity of the image is reduced (via the inverse square law) by a factor of (M+1)^2 (where ^2 means ‘squared’). In this case that is a factor of 6^2 =36. This is equivalent to 5.17 stops. The bellows factor is M+1, so the f2.8 lens thus behaves like an f16.8 lens (=2.8*(5+1)). This is the same for any focal length, but it is more practical to make large aperture lenses with shorter focal lengths, excepting when the lens needs to be strongly retro-focal to also allow it to focus at infinity.

I strongly suspect the Canon lens uses ‘floating’ elements that reduce the focal length substantially at high magnification. (Floating is a term used to describe elements that move along the optical axis relative to other elements, changing the relative separation of elements within the lens.) This will change the field of view as David pointed out. It might also increase the effective f-number of the lens. Anyway, it is a neat bit of optical design. The longer focal length at low magnification gives you the advantage of larger working distance. Then, the focal length is reduced to get to high magnification without needing huge extension.

It is worth noting that lenses with internal focusing use floating elements and usually (maybe always) give a reduction in the stated focal length when not focussed at infinity. Or, to put it anther way, the stated focal length is only correct when the lens is focussed at infinity.

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (21st December 2016), Ross the fiddler (21st December 2016)
Old 21st December 2016

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,052 Posts

Not sure I quite followed all the physics here so forgive me if these are daft questions but what mag would that lens give on a micro 4/3 system? is it 2x the mag quoted assuming the quoted figure is FF?
Also what working distances are we talking about here?
Dof is presumably tiny too so focus stacking would no doubt be the order of the day.
Old 21st December 2016

The optical magnification is the same, since it doesn't depend on the size of the sensor. However, to fill a m4/3 sensor with the image, a lower magnification is required when compared to an APS-C or 35mm film sized sensor. The m4/3 sensor is 17.3 x 13 mm. So at 5x magnification, an object 3.5x2.6mm in size will completely fill the sensor. On an APS-C sensor, the same object will underfill the sensor.

The working distance depends on the lens design. At 5x magnification, the distance of the object to 1st principal plane of a true 65mm lens would be 78mm. However, the 1st PP could be well inside the lens and so the working distance (the distance of the object to the front of the lens) would be much smaller.

Since that Canon lens is (I believe) not 65mm at 5:1 mag, the working distance will be much smaller. I would assume the lens specs would give the working distance. It is bound to be small at that sort of magnification.

DoF will be very small. Focus stacking would be a good idea since stopping down will make an already dim image even dimmer.

High magnification photography is not trivial.

Mark
Old 21st December 2016

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,052 Posts

Should have thought of it like that myself, thanks Mark that helps a lot.
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 118 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
I am not familiar with that Canon lens, but let’s look at some general principals.

The relation between magnification M, focal length f and image distance S (measured from the second principal plane of the lens) is

S = f*(M+1)

(The * means ‘multiply’)

Thus when you have 5:1 magnification with a 65 mm lens, the image will be 65*(5+1) = 390mm away from the second principal plane of the lens. This is just physics.

In general, the second principal plane could be anywhere inside the lens or even outside the lens.(As an aside, a lens with the 2nd PP in front of the lens is called a telephoto lens, one with it after the last optical element is called retro-focal or inverse telephoto). However, when the lens is focussed at infinity, the second principal plane is exactly f away from the image, i.e. 65mm in this case.

So, if the 65mm lens were a simple type with all optical elements in a fixed position relative to each other, then moving from infinity focus to 5x mag would require moving the lens 325mm. This is of course perfectly feasible, if rather unwieldy, but would generally be done with a bellows rather than a helicoid mechanism.

It is also worth noting that the light intensity of the image is reduced (via the inverse square law) by a factor of (M+1)^2 (where ^2 means ‘squared’). In this case that is a factor of 6^2 =36. This is equivalent to 5.17 stops. The bellows factor is M+1, so the f2.8 lens thus behaves like an f16.8 lens (=2.8*(5+1)). This is the same for any focal length, but it is more practical to make large aperture lenses with shorter focal lengths, excepting when the lens needs to be strongly retro-focal to also allow it to focus at infinity.

I strongly suspect the Canon lens uses ‘floating’ elements that reduce the focal length substantially at high magnification. (Floating is a term used to describe elements that move along the optical axis relative to other elements, changing the relative separation of elements within the lens.) This will change the field of view as David pointed out. It might also increase the effective f-number of the lens. Anyway, it is a neat bit of optical design. The longer focal length at low magnification gives you the advantage of larger working distance. Then, the focal length is reduced to get to high magnification without needing huge extension.

It is worth noting that lenses with internal focusing use floating elements and usually (maybe always) give a reduction in the stated focal length when not focussed at infinity. Or, to put it anther way, the stated focal length is only correct when the lens is focussed at infinity.

Mark
The MP-E 65 is a zoom lens with no real focusing. The focal length is changed to increase magnification & change working distance. It's for too expensive for me but does give great results.

I rather like the DIY 'anybrand' alternative, but I've not got round to trying it yet.