Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Olympus 45mm f1.2 vs PanLeica 42.5mm Nocticron

I finally decided to trade-in some of my older basic lenses and upgrade to fewer higher spec ones so that my set looks less cluttered and duplicated. The main issue here is to upgrade the 45mm f1.8 to either PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 nocticron or the Olympus 45mm f1.2 PRO. Most reviews seem to favour the Olympus slightly but I had to consider the fact that their effectiveness as portrait lenses was what mattered most.

Either way, I'll be using the lens on an Olympus body, either the EM5II or Pen-F.

From the pictures that I have seen on the web, the Olympus produced slightly better bokeh but I was disappointed with its skin tones, particularly darker skin. I felt that skin tones definitely looked more natural with the PanLeica. Also, I prefer the more sudden transition from sharp to blur that the PanLeica seems to produce. I am therefore veering towards the PanLeica at the moment but would like some opinions before I shell out my £1100+ to Wex.

In answering this query, please consider that performance at f1.2 for portraits is what matters most AND as I have a South Asian background, 80% of my subjects are going to be brown skinned. (This is a fact and so please forget about stupid Political Correctness)
Old 6 Days Ago
Administrator

Liked 1,253 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Olympus 45mm f 1.2 vs PanLeica 42.5mm nocticron

I would very much recommend “test and wow” of the 45 f/1.2

I do mostly portrait work and tend to set about the f/3.5 mark. Often models moan about the clarity of my images, saying it shows all the skin details, so I may as well use any old lens or stick a soft filter on...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (6 Days Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

But you are a professional and I am no more than an enthusiastic amateur. Personally, I like the "warts and all" natural look. Also (again a personal preference) I like the subject to stand out sharply against a blurred background rather than the more gradual transition.

I saw an on-line video of 2 guys testing to compare the 2 lenses. I noted that the skin tone of darker skinned people had a slightly greyish tinge with the Olympus by comparison with the PanLeica. I did not like that.
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 81 Times in 29 Posts

I went through the same choice myself a while ago. I agree that most reviews rated the Oly above the Panasonic often pointing to the "improved sharpness, better Bokeh" and "weather sealing". A significant number of comments to those reviews by users and consumers would then rate the "magic" or "pop" of the the PanaLeica over the Oly. For that amount of money you should definitely try both. As has been suggested, use the "test and wow" for the Oly and see what you think.

It may also be worth shopping around. There are a number of outlets that will do both lenses for a lot less (I think Panamoz is well regarded and had them both for around the £880 mark when I last looked - you have to consider whether a grey import is worth the saving). There is also a PanaLeica Nocticron for sale about four posts down for an excellent price.

I upgraded from my 45 1.8 and haven't looked back. Which one I chose is irrelevant because I bought the one that offered me the best look to my images. Only you will know which works best for you and you need to be happy considering the investment. That might seem like an odd thing to say but look back to the comments on those reviews and see how many people argue for one or the other. They both can't be right.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenguru For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 969 Times in 545 Posts

Which ever you decide on, if you’re not in an immediate hurry I suggest holding on for a deal - for example, until the end of last month, there was a manufacturer’s £150 cash back on the Oly and LCE suddenly offered an extra £100 off on top of that, so the new price became £950-odd.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/....2-ED-PRO-Lens
(The graph doesn’t show the cashback)

I’ve always been a bit skeptical of the real life importance of the subtle colour differences between manufacturers and individual items of kit. We do as photographers obsess over tiny differences which are unnoticed by others, including customers, but colours can be adjusted these days with amazing subtlety with, say, Lr presets, so personally I’d be swayed more by the other subtleties.
Ultimately you’re going to have to decide, and a test-and-wow would be a good way to do that personally rather than worrying over dozens of other opinions based on other balances of the issues.
I agree the Nocticron currently in the for sale section looks a fine deal.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Cerebus (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago
Administrator

One of the huge advantages of having a meter is the exposure can be determined from the available light falling on to the subject. The exposure is the same regardless of the subject colour, albeit a person or a bunch of flowers.

But that’s far from the whole story, just an excellent start point and can easily be done with the cameras spot meter and a grey card.

The following article is a good read and will provide some very good tips

https://www.nyip.co.uk/photo-article...eople-of-color

Almost always the lens will have little effect on colour rendering. Well worth checking out DxO testing site

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks people. First off Greenguru, I definitely will NOT buy grey imports anymore. I did only once a few years ago - it was a Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 and it turned out to be a definite fake. It was 11 grams lighter than the advertised weight (I double checked this with Panasonic) and tacky in build quality. I returned it but it took me a while to get a refund from the seller. I believe that I posted a thread about that here at the time.

G_o_R, thanks for that link. It may interest you to know that the ONLY picture from that Zucker collection that I did NOT like was that of the young boy on his own. The only reason is the slight grey tinge to the skin tone.

As for the PanLeica, if I decide on it (which I almost certainly will), I'll go with Wex if they confirm their initial quote for my part-ex stuff. The package has reached them and they will let me know after inspection. In the past they have confirmed their offer twice and all my lenses are really in mint condition.

G_o_R, am I right in thinking that when you are working with professional models like you do, you have to 'flatter' the skin tone a bit? My portraits are those of friends and family and I like to keep it natural. My goddaughter, now 24, used to avoid being photographed as a teenager because she had facial spots which I refused to 'clean' on photoshop. Now they have cleared and she poses for me whenever I ask.
Old 5 Days Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post

G_o_R, am I right in thinking that when you are working with professional models like you do, you have to 'flatter' the skin tone a bit? My portraits are those of friends and family and I like to keep it natural. My goddaughter, now 24, used to avoid being photographed as a teenager because she had facial spots which I refused to 'clean' on photoshop. Now they have cleared and she poses for me whenever I ask.
The “customer” gets what they want... I almost always “touch up” blemishes such as spots and scratches but I’m very reluctant to smooth the skin or remove permanent features.

However if the customer wants a porcelain look, who am I to refuse. When the images are for my use, in competition of exhibition, then I tend to do very little to them.

I look forward to seeing some results.

Old 5 Days Ago

Two questions about the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron:

1. When it is fitted onto an Olympus body with its own built-in Image Stabilization such as the EM5-II or Pen-F, should one keep the lens' own IOS switch to 'on' or 'off'? Does it make a difference?

2. Second, the following is an excerpt from E-Photozine's review of the lens from 4 years ago; look at the highlighted part.

Quote:
A manual aperture ring provides quick, direct control over the aperture setting. For automatic aperture operation, the ring needs to be placed on the 'A' setting. The aperture ring may not function with Olympus MFT bodies, although this feature could be added via a firmware update. The lens can be used, controlling the aperture from the camera body, instead of the lens.
Can't be true, can it?
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Two questions about the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron:

1. When it is fitted onto an Olympus body with its own built-in Image Stabilization such as the EM5-II or Pen-F, should one keep the lens' own IOS switch to 'on' or 'off'? Does it make a difference?

2. Second, the following is an excerpt from E-Photozine's review of the lens from 4 years ago; look at the highlighted part.

Can't be true, can it?
True for all Panny lenses with an aperture ring, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly so for the PL 15mm f1.7, which I do own.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 434 Times in 231 Posts

I have that 42.5 and I am enjoying it. I got that long before that 45/1.2 came out an I am sure not in a rush to get any of the f1.2s. I also have that 25/1.4 another reason not rushing for the 25/1.2.

As for photo quality, you really need to see what you are looking for.

Here, a 42.5

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2, ƒ/1.2, 42.5 mm, 1/100s, ISO 400

This, 25/1.4

LEICA D SUMMILUX 25mm F1.4, ƒ/1.4, 25.0 mm, 1/320s, ISO 200

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
True for all Panny lenses with an aperture ring, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly so for the PL 15mm f1.7, which I do own.
You might have misunderstood my question. What I was asking was that e-Photozine's claim that there was a firmware update available that would enable the Nocticron's aperture ring to work on Olympus bodies was not true?

I also owned a PL 15mm f1.7 but am trading that in for an Olympus 12mm f2. The PL was nice but I felt that a 15mm prime lens was a bit "neither here nor there" focal length.
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 434 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
You might have misunderstood my question. What I was asking was that e-Photozine's claim that there was a firmware update available that would enable the Nocticron's aperture ring to work on Olympus bodies was not true?

I also owned a PL 15mm f1.7 but am trading that in for an Olympus 12mm f2. The PL was nice but I felt that a 15mm prime lens was a bit "neither here nor there" focal length.
Is it? they finally allow that data sharing? Where is that site?

All my garbage so far.
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Is it? they finally allow that data sharing? Where is that site?
Well, look at ePhotozine's review of the PanLeica. That is the source of that quote I posted earlier. They do not specify details of the source of that firmware, if one such exists.
Old 4 Days Ago

Yes, I did misunderstand it.

I spoke to Clare Harvey-May about this at the NEC Photography Show in March and she said she knew there had been discussions between Oly and Panny over various current hardware and software compatibility issues, but the outcome to date had been that the companies wanted to maintain differentiation in the market and there were no current plans to address these.

No harm in lobbying representatives of both companies when we get the chance.

Too much Oly gear.