Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 7th August 2018

Liked 995 Times in 565 Posts
Canikon FF mirrorless

I thought it would be interesting talk about this: it is at least indirectly relevant and good news for almost all of us since it should drive mirrorless & sensor development from all manufacturers.

It may also convince more of the Luddites that the technologies' advantages (particularly the WYSIWYG and multi-configurable VF with fulltime histogram etc etc, usually cited as a reason for not switching by traditionalist DSLR users) do offer something. In due course as this group gets older they will be tempted by lighter smaller sensor gear, so I don't think the net medium and long term impact on m4/3 is calculable at the moment. It won't stop the armchair CEOs and technologists sounding off, however.

Canon are keeping largely shtum, but from the teasers it looks like the Nikon will be FF (almost certainly) and will have a wider mount so an adapter will be needed for the existing lens system.

So, my betting for both manufacturers is that they will be structurally bullet-proof and pretty electronically reliable out of the box, although it will be interesting to see if they offer more firmware updates than they have done with their DSLRs (for both bugs and developments). I expect there will have been a huge amount of investment in the EVFs and CA focus technology, but probably not so much at launch in the other mirrorless trickery like Pro-Capture and such like.

Sony will be very interested indeed to see how fast the new bodies focus adapted native and Tamron/Sigma etc glass compared to the 3rd generation Sonys (which now have extremely well-established and de-bugged Metabones and Sigma adapters). I shall await proper in-use tests by the truly independent and expert wildlife shooters.

Canikon will inevitably have a small native mirrorless lens selection at launch, but of course Sony now have their stunning new long. fast lenses with fantastic 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters. Presumably Canikon won't be far behind, but behind they currently are.

They're bound to be properly weatherproof, which might drive Sony to do this (at last).

What do people think?

I'm just waiting for Sony to release the A7Siii so the A7S population will devalue, and so I'll be tempted again to get all the low-light street photography camera I could ever want

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 7th August 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts
Re: Canikon FF mirrorless

It will be interesting to read the technical spec on both offerings from Canon and Nikon when available. (Why do people refer, rather derogatorily, using the term canikon? I'm sure it's not sour grapes, but camera-brand-fans do tend to support the camera they own, especially having sunk a large chunk of dosh into the brand they support. I have a Spear and Jackson handsaw, but I'm not particularly loyal to the brand, I'll purchase anything that cuts wood adequately.)

on flickr
Old 7th August 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,352 Times in 793 Posts

Kit snobs will always find something to fixate on and completely miss out on the joy of simply producing pictures.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th August 2018

Liked 478 Times in 313 Posts

Why "Canikon"? Probably because it's quicker to type "Canikon" than "Canon and Nikon" .
The Following User Liked This Post:
Petrochemist (8th August 2018)
Old 7th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Kit snobs will always find something to fixate on and completely miss out on the joy of simply producing pictures.
Well I have the M240 and M6, both with red dots. I cover them up, especially in inner cities. I'm not a camera snob, far from it. My appetite has changed from super sharp to the sort of image only a cheap plastic lens can deliver - because I like the look. I hope to acquirie cheap plastic Holga or Diana. I'm also planning to do some pin hole with the u4/3 (parts on order).

I certainly go for the aesthetics rather than the technical excellence and the razor sharp images I can achieve with digital. U4/3 is fully capable as demonstrated by the tack sharp images presented here. But that's not me.

on flickr
Old 7th August 2018

Liked 995 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Why "Canikon"? Probably because it's quicker to type "Canikon" than "Canon and Nikon" .
Quite. I donít see the problem. Are we supposed not to use the abbreviation Oly.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 7th August 2018

Oly is shorthand for one company. There's a difference.

Can we form more binomials? How about Fujica, both companies offering a rangefinder experience; one pure opto-mechanical, the other more electronic.

on flickr
Old 8th August 2018

Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,110 Posts
Liked 1,569 Times in 793 Posts

Why stop at binomials when by just adding a y you can incorporate Sony too "Canikony" there much easier to type.
George Dorn (9th August 2018)
Old 8th August 2018

OK perhaps a slightly more sensible and a bit more on topic post. As it does look like Nikon are entering the FF mirrorless market soon is it possible that Olympus could produce a FF camera that could also make use of m4/3 or 4/3s lenses? If it's possible then they would have a brilliant competitive product and a ready made set of superb lenses. So hopefully someone who understands the physics of this better than me can explain if it is or isn't possible.
Old 8th August 2018

Liked 1,884 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
OK perhaps a slightly more sensible and a bit more on topic post. As it does look like Nikon are entering the FF mirrorless market soon is it possible that Olympus could produce a FF camera that could also make use of m4/3 or 4/3s lenses? If it's possible then they would have a brilliant competitive product and a ready made set of superb lenses. So hopefully someone who understands the physics of this better than me can explain if it is or isn't possible.

Would the camera body have to "thicker/deeper", or have a set of lenses before the sensor...Ö.Optical physics not on my list of expertise...Ö.

My Flickr
Old 8th August 2018

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
4/3 & m4/3 lens will not cover FF without a teleconverter system. It would be possible to have a FF system that automatically crops for these lenses (similar to Nikon FF DSLRS when used with their crop lenses).

I doubt there would be much appeal for such a system. Most MFT users have downsized their camera systems and the results of using the small lenses on FF would not be an improvement.

I would quite like a FF mirrorless body to use in low light & for adapting lenses. I wouldn't expect to use it for small format lenses (MFT, c-mount etc) - I doubt it would replace MFT as my grab camera, and currently it's too expensive for the benefit I'd get from it, maybe in a year or two...
Old 8th August 2018

So that could mean if there was a built in teleconverter lens over the sensor then you could have a sealed system and never need to clean the sensor either? no dust ever on the sensor for the marketing dept! Hmm a bit bigger body with a larger sensor minus the sensor shake cleaning might not be too heavy that could be used with smaller (existing) lenses than current competitors FF cameras. Sounds quite attractive to me. It would certainly be another innovation from Olympus.
Old 8th August 2018

Liked 63 Times in 19 Posts

I've been down the path of most dslr's from both makers ,plus nikon v1 and v2 which left me feeling rather fiddled ,by there claims of 2.7 x crop factor . which in fact meant tiny noisy files .
the cano M series seemed a good bet when I switched due to me having the lenses ( i.e long reach wildlife) but although i.q was reasonable the ergonomics of bolting on a long lens to a tiny body just didn't work ,its to do with C of G canon ! .
now on m4/3 and loving it 100-400 pl is a dream and using manual focus lenses is the latest dreamy bokah toy .
drmarkf (8th August 2018)
Old 8th August 2018

Quote:
Why stop at binomials when by just adding a y you can incorporate Sony too "Canikony" there much easier to type.
Why not indeed
What about 'AOCTINAOOPMFT' (it's an acronym, but you may attempt to solve as an anagram and thus become easier to pronounce. ).

on flickr
Old 9th August 2018

Thanked 1,025 Times in 778 Posts
Liked 4,593 Times in 1,500 Posts

Canikon seems a reasonable phrase. Both manufacturers produce very similar cameras that represent the state of the art of digital SLR cameras. Together they also own the bulk of the market.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
AMc (9th August 2018)