Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,435 Times in 870 Posts
Anyone using a Holga?

I was about to purchase the 120 version but it appears a more convenient 35mm version exists (convenience in terms of scanning). Both have the all important plastic lens, and thinking about it, the smaller 35mm output should produce a real crappy toy-like image.

Any experience with either of these two. Which to buy???

Here's they are, or were. https://microsites.lomography.com/holga/family/

on flickr
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 1,541 Times in 1,045 Posts
Re: Anyone using a Holga?

It doesn't seem so.

What would the 'advantages' compared with using (say) a Mamiya or Bronica?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It doesn't seem so.

What would the 'advantages' compared with using (say) a Mamiya or Bronica?
I'm not surprised.

Advantage is a word that may not fit well here. The main difference with the 'Toy' camera is the simple meniscus plastic lens, producing less than perfect results. I think you need to see the results for yourself; it's a visual language and consequently hard (for me) to describe in words. Flickr and Instagram are good starting points.
I read on the net that several US universities use the Holga (or equivalent) to set the student free of technology and to make them concentrate on the art.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts

Sorry to raise digital in the Nostalgia forum, I have the Holga Micro 4/3rds lens which is fun for a change. 10 off ebay.

The first few in this album are straight out of the camera - might have been resized for the web but I don't think so.

Then I played with the Art Filters and finally GIMP and Lightroom post processing.

There is something nostalgic and appealing about the images.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXCFUjv
Old 6 Days Ago

Thanks for posting the link to your Flickr page(s). They work well and are a credit to you and the el cheapo lens. At less than 10, it's an absolute bargain going begging.

Anything that can dull the clinical sharpness of digital gets my vote. The plus with film is the uncertainty, the unexpected. First of the roll being my absolute favourite with light leaks coming a close second. But I'm also a fan of crap anti halation, light bending, smearing etc. I believe, but not tried, "Lucky", a Chinese film, is devoid of an anti halation layer.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (5 Days Ago), Naughty Nigel (5 Days Ago)