Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 8th August 2018

Liked 987 Times in 483 Posts
Re: DSLR & telephoto lens Imaging Planets how realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
See also my notes about Roger N Clark's website http://www.clarkvision.com/ on the Communal Night Sky Photos thread.
He certainly gives good advice, I found his site a few years ago. The fact that he is a Canon man should not be held against him. His points work for all cameras.

My Flickr
Old 8th August 2018

Liked 280 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
John I did actually get a webcam thrown in with the additional bits and pieces when I got my telescope. The guy said he got it and had it modified (not sure what for?) but never got to use it. I've never tried it out as it wasn't obvious as to how it fitted. From what you say I ought to look to see if there are any clues in the paperwork he gave me.
You normally just take out the eyepiece and the webcam should have a 1.25" nose to fit in place of the eyepiece. The problem is the back focus of the web cam as sometimes you will need an extension piece to the 1.25" nose to get the thing to focus. Which web cam is it photo might help.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 9th August 2018

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,114 Posts
Liked 1,586 Times in 800 Posts

Sorry John didn't notice your reply till now. I'll dig out the gear a bit later and have a look at it.
Old 9th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Here is a great short video on YouTube that shows you a good way to do planetary imaging with a DSLR. It only works if you have a scope though. This is how the best pictures are achieved.
Thanks for this Dave never thought of using my telescope and eyepieces with my OMD I have the adapter. Have you tried this and do you know a good eyepiece projector?

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 9th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Thanks for this Dave never thought of using my telescope and eyepieces with my OMD I have the adapter. Have you tried this and do you know a good eyepiece projector?
I don't have an eyepiece projection adapter so I have never tried it. Looks like you get a much bigger image that way so worth a go, have to see whats available.

My Flickr
Old 9th August 2018

Just been rummaging in my bits and pieces cupboard.

My 1.25" extension tube (80mm long ) has a T-Thread around the socket end where I attach my T2 to M4/3 adapter so I can then mount my EM1.

I never thought of fitting my 10mm 1.25" eyepiece in the extension tube first as the video shows. Just tried it and all fits, also checked if I could get focus and it looks possible so I will be giving it a go next clear night. My scope 550mm focal length so that should give me 55X magnification !

The extension tube I got from First Light Optics when I got my first scope

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ada...sion-tube.html

and the Micro Four Thirds to T2 adapter I have is this one.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t-rings.html

My Flickr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
birdboy (9th August 2018), MJ224 (9th August 2018), OM USer (9th August 2018)
Old 9th August 2018

I have some adapters but my rummaging did not find any useful combinations. I have the extension pieces but the eye piece extends outside and the T2 to FT adapter I have is fixed to the 1.25" nose piece. Let us know yours works.

Not sure if you know that in movie mode on the OMD's you can get another x2 if you enable movie effect and use the digital teleconverter. It crops the video so you waste less pixels on small objects.

Old 10th August 2018

Failed attempt last night. Clouds insisted on getting in the way. Will try again on next available clear night.

I don't use the movie mode very often. I got the x2 dig teleconverter working, not sure what you mean by enable movie effect though?

My Flickr

Last edited by wornish; 10th August 2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 10th August 2018

Well looking through my bits and pieces it looks like I have an HP webcam HD4110 that has already been modified to fit the telescope. Looks like it just replaces the eyepiece. Just need to work out how to run it now. Seems like more Google research from some of the youtube videos though it seems like it should be worth persevering with.
Old 10th August 2018

Quote:
Well looking through my bits and pieces it looks like I have an HP webcam HD4110 that has already been modified to fit the telescope. Looks like it just replaces the eyepiece. Just need to work out how to run it now. Seems like more Google research from some of the youtube videos though it seems like it should be worth persevering with.
That should be ideal, give it a go. There are lots of free apps that you can use to capture images with it. I would recommend one called Sharpcap which supports a whole range of different cameras but there is a big choice.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Phill D (10th August 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (10th August 2018)
Old 10th August 2018

Brilliant thanks Dave.
Old 11th August 2018

Well gave it all a go last night but all in all it was a catalogue of disaster and I ended up with nothing except a lot more understanding, still not enough though.
First it seemed to be turning out to be a great clear night Jupiter looked bright even before the sky darkened. So that was to be my first target. Tried connecting the camera to the PC but it took ages for me to actually get it all to work. seems it only registers if I have it all plugged in when I start up the PC...? can't unplug and replug it. Good news is that Sharpcap seems great, managed an image of the dust on the camera sensor (and there seems to be quite a lot!) but not much more though. So on to Jupiter! well by now it had dropped a bit close to the neighboring houses and try as I might I couldn't get the scope plus camera to line up with it...just too short a usb lead was the main problem. So gave up and took the scope outside to just have a look but by that time Jupiter had decided to hide behind the house roof and neighboring trees! So then had a go at Saturn as that I could see with the scope in the range of my usb lead but just couldn't see anything. In the end it turned out that in the dark I must have turned the sight set up knobs by mistake and the scope calibration was way off. Only worked this out this morning doh! No moon last night so didn't have anything I could set it up on easily. Having failed with Saturn too I thought I'd go for Mars but Mars was so low it was behind the trees at the bottom of our garden. I could see it through the branches occasionally but no chance of getting it with the telescope! so in the end the wine glasses came out and a bottle of Red started to improve my mood Tale of woe definitely but on a positive note I did see a satellite zoom past at one point as I was staring at random stars. That was before I opened the wine
Maybe I'll find some patience to try again tonight now I've reset the scope calibration on some distant trees, if it's clear of course.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (11th August 2018), OM USer (11th August 2018)
Old 11th August 2018

Quote:
Well gave it all a go last night but all in all it was a catalogue of disaster and I ended up with nothing except a lot more understanding, still not enough though.

I could see it through the branches occasionally but no chance of getting it with the telescope! so in the end the wine glasses came out and a bottle of Red started to improve my mood Tale of woe definitely but on a positive note I did see a satellite zoom past at one point as I was staring at random stars. That was before I opened the wine
Maybe I'll find some patience to try again tonight now I've reset the scope calibration on some distant trees if it's clear of course.
Welcome to astro photography. You do need patience. I had a very similar experience on Thursday night. After 2 1/2 hours went to bed with nothing.
Tonights weather forecast is not looking good.
As the pros say Clear Skies and keep trying.

My Flickr
Phill D (11th August 2018)
Old 11th August 2018

Liked 1,909 Times in 978 Posts

Sounds about par for the course. Those planets are pretty low on the horizon, so you gotta be on the ball.

I do what you have done, set up the scope pooter etc and use a far off terrestrial target to get the set up correct. Then of course it won't work when you set it up in the dark.....Never tried a direct link to the camera, always have used the Newtonian Scope. Good luck Phil. Weather has gone *I*s up for a while anyway.....

My Flickr
Phill D (11th August 2018)
Old 11th August 2018

Yes looks like rain here tonight too. It will give me time to fiddle with set up stuff for a few days at least.