Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 26th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Superfine compression

I understand with the E-620 there is a choice of pixel count; Large, Medium and Small in addition to options for Compression Rate of Superfine, Fine, Normal and Basic.

I want to set my camera to Large/Superfine (like most folk I imagine) but I cannot for the life of me find any way of setting Superfine. I can only achieve Large/Fine, the manual is next to hopeless of course.

Am I missing something
Old 26th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Superfine compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
I understand with the E-620 there is a choice of pixel count; Large, Medium and Small in addition to options for Compression Rate of Superfine, Fine, Normal and Basic.

I want to set my camera to Large/Superfine (like most folk I imagine) but I cannot for the life of me find any way of setting Superfine. I can only achieve Large/Fine, the manual is next to hopeless of course.

Am I missing something
You change it in the menu (LSF 1/2.7)
Old 26th May 2010
Kiwi Paul

Not sure if the E620 is the same but for the E3 you go to the menu, spanner 1, scroll through until you get to "G" (colour/WB), select the menu option by pressing the right arrow on the keypad, select "set", right arrow on keypad again and you have a menu numbered 1 to 4, the default is "L F" for 1 change the F to SF and hit ok thats it!!.

Paul
Old 26th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks James, I have attempted that by pressing the menu button, scrolling down to the funny "E" symbol (in between gradation and image aspect) which then offers me options of RAW, LF, LN, MN etc. BUT no L/SF???
Old 26th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Paul, yes it is similar on the 620 - I found it following your instructions! It's very well hidden and nowhere to be found in the manual, I must have struggled for over two hours trying to find it!

It's reduced the storage on my card by 30%, so let's hope there is a corresponding improvement in picture quality
Old 27th May 2010
jonsey

On E30...Spanner #1...menu letter G....Aspect/color/WB...Gradation set....???
Old 11th February 2011

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Just upgraded to an E-620 and was wondering how to set this (as others have said the manual isn't a great help) so thanks for the info
Old 11th February 2011
Kiwi Paul

Not sure if the E620 is the same but for the E3 you go to the menu, spanner 1, scroll through until you get to "G" (colour/WB), select the menu option by pressing the right arrow on the keypad, select "set", right arrow on keypad again and you have a menu numbered 1 to 4, the default is "L F" for 1 change the F to SF and hit ok thats it!!.

Paul
Old 11th February 2011

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Your info managed me to get it sorted for my E-620.

Many thanks for the help!

Skids.
Old 13th April 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but can someone please walk me through the process of setting one of these to super fine?
Maybe I 'don't speak the language' but following the instructions above, as I understand them, seems to get me nowhere.
Thanks

Of course, having posted that I found the answer via my next google! Typical grrr!
I can't post a link but it's a post in Dpreview by petrbur in a thread entitled "E-620 image size and compression rate question" in a post entitled "Little bit tricky"

Last edited by Sean McKinney; 13th April 2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: found answer immediately after posting question
Old 25th October 2017

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I happened on this thread, and realised I hadn't even known about the superfine compression setting. Thanks to those who explained how to find it, I've now set my E620 to this standard, and like the results.
Old 26th October 2017

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts

Oldie but goldie this thread. I don't know why Olympus always hides this setting.