Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 19th January 2008
E-P1 fan

Question How many bags have you got?

Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occassions?

I doubt it. In fact I bet most of us have more bags kicking around than we ever use.

I've got a Lowepro Backpack bag, 3 standard shoulder bags with adjustable compartments, an aluminium flightcase and I'm sure there used to be a Crumpler somewhere too!!
All of them are good for specific occasions but none of them works in all, or even most, situations.

Does the ultimate bag exist?
Old 19th January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: How many bags have you got?

I have two - one I use for my main bag, and the other a simple E-System bag that can hold an E-400/510 camera plus an additional lens. I am awaiting delivery of the E-3 System promotional offer shoulder camera bag that really does look the business. Should be here in a week or so if lucky...

Ian posted some shots of the promotional bags a few weeks ago... here they are:

Old 20th January 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occasions?

I doubt it. In fact I bet most of us have more bags kicking around than we ever use.

I've got a Lowepro Backpack bag, 3 standard shoulder bags with adjustable compartments, an aluminium flightcase and I'm sure there used to be a Crumpler somewhere too!!
All of them are good for specific occasions but none of them works in all, or even most, situations.

No You're not alone and No I don't think that the ultimate bag exists

Currently my main bag is a Lowe Pro Vertex 200 AW which is the biggest thing I can get on as hand luggage - takes 2 SLR's with 4 spare lenses, flashguns, portable Hard Drive and my laptop as well! I like the fact I can strap both tri and monopods to it as well

This is great for travel but not for quick access so I strap a couple of sliplock pouches on the belt and one on the shoulder strap (wife thinks I'm a packhorse at about that point!)

However for evenings out or just walking around I just drop a subset into my old Lowe Pro shoulder bag or grab a couple of camera care pouches from my den.

Then there are extreme environments ...

For days in the outdoors (wet environments) I tend to stick things in ortleib bags rather than rely on a camera bag and limit what I get out at once. For muddy these have the advantage of being wipe clean.

For caving I use a Pelican box these days. they are available in all sorts of sizes and I've never had one fail on me. Before this I used to use old army Ammunition boxes, but these were a lot more fallible and heavier.

So perfection - I'm still searching and it gives the boss lady an excuse for another handbag as she still reckons I have more than she does !

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Last edited by shenstone; 20th January 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
For caving I use a Pelican box these days. they are available in all sorts of sizes and I've never had one fail on me.
Pelican boxes are certainly good, but the bigger ones cost almost as much as an Oly lens!

Jim Ford
Old 20th January 2008
E-P1 fan

I must say I do like the look of that E System bag. I did when Ian posted up the earlier pics.

My darker side whispers that buying camera bags might be akin to the more known and accepted practice of some ladies buying certain 'items'!

So the maybe the answer to the question "Why do you need another camera bag?" should be - - for the same reason you need another handbag!
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts

Unfortunately like many all my bags are too small - especially when you start growing your new camera system. I would find it tedious to list my inadequacies.

I can't make up my mind whether to improve my library, programs (p+p) or bag with my remaining Christmas monies.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

My wife always asks ..why have you more camera bags than I have handbags?...I.m still trying to think of a good answer
Old 20th January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
My wife always asks ..why have you more camera bags than I have handbags?...I.m still trying to think of a good answer
Suggested answer...

"Ahhh, but dearest.... I may only have one camera, but you have 10 times more pairs of shoes than I have camera bags!!... I do love you though... "

Old 20th January 2008
E-P1 fan

OK ideas wanted - best bag to safely carry an E-1 and a spare BLM-1 while riding a bike! I have used the Lowepro but it's too bulky really.

I've not so far found a solution - other than NO bag or case and winding the strap across you - fine - as long as you don't come a cropper.
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
OK ideas wanted - best bag to safely carry an E-1 and a spare BLM-1 while riding a bike! I have used the Lowepro but it's too bulky really.

I've not so far found a solution - other than NO bag or case and winding the strap across you - fine - as long as you don't come a cropper.

I fell from my bike at speed last October 4th and have not been fit enough since due to my hip area showing discomfort still to clamber back on. I have put on quite a few pounds due to the inactivity. Fortunately it was a day before I received my E-510. The Fuji S9500 I was carrying escaped unharmed.

Now returning to your question - if you have not had a mishap cycling what about considering a pannier and lining it with foam?

Regards. Barr1e

Last edited by Barr1e; 20th January 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: ?
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occassions?

I have several, but I don't think there is a perfect bag for all situations - well, not for me. I have a couple of small bags for my C-8080WZs and a Lowepro Nova 4 for my E-1 and lenses. If I am travelling abroad on a dive trip I take a Lowpro MiniTrekker AW, which is great for hand luggage on aircraft. I am waiting for the free Olympus promotional bag, which will be great for the E-3 here in the UK. I now need a bigger one for travel, one that will take my E-3, lenses and the 2 C-8080s and will take my diving regs and computers as well. That should take it nicely to 12kg+

Steve
Old 20th January 2008
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
I fell from my bike at speed last October 4th and have not been fit enough since due to my hip area showing discomfort still to clamber back on. I have put on quite a few pounds due to the inactivity. Fortunately it was a day before I received my E-510. The Fuji S9500 I was carrying escaped unharmed.
Nasty - always my big fear when out on the road. Seeing that even experts in road racing like Jason McIntyre can become victims to traffic does make me very wary out on the now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
what about considering a pannier and lining it with foam?
That's a brilliant idea Barrie. I had genuinely never considered it. I do have a rear carrier and I'm sure I could rig something up. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees ... many thanks
Old 20th January 2008

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:

I would have thought the Olympus freebie bag would be ideal for use whilst riding a bike.

Steve
Old 20th January 2008
E-P1 fan

I agree - but I don't have one though
Old 20th January 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Pelican boxes are certainly good, but the bigger ones cost almost as much as an Oly lens!

Jim Ford
Yup, but you want the best protection for your cameras then...

I'd got to the point before getting my peliboxes that I'd aout given up on bring willling to carry a good enough box. I've seen a friend of mine who's a well known cave photographer with a box full of water which had bobbing in it a couple of Olympus film cameras, various lenses and flashguns. He uses Peliboxes now !

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/