Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 3rd June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Em10 sensor resolution

I am now thinking of upgrading my long focus lens but I am wondering whether the em10 sensor is capable of matching the performance of good quality prime lenses e.g. Oly 60mm macro.
It is quite easy to get lens resolution figures ( although I assume there is sample error ) but I can't find comparable information about sensors. Can anyone advise if and where such information is available ?
In short, at the moment, I would like to know if my sensor can show the difference in resolution between my 40-150 f4 to f5.6 zoom at 60mm and a prime 60mm lens and can this be detected in a 12" x 16" print ?
Any information would be gratefully received.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4th June 2017
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,671
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Likes: 149
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
In short, at the moment, I would like to know if my sensor can show the difference in resolution between my 40-150 f4 to f5.6 zoom at 60mm and a prime 60mm lens and can this be detected in a 12" x 16" print ?
Any information would be gratefully received.
Jeff
In short - yes and no.

At 16Mp the sensor is more than good enough to distinguish between lens quality (although the 40-150R is pretty good for its price). However, relatively small prints are unlikely to reveal much of a difference.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

There's so many variables it's impossible to answer.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
In short - yes and no.

At 16Mp the sensor is more than good enough to distinguish between lens quality (although the 40-150R is pretty good for its price). However, relatively small prints are unlikely to reveal much of a difference.
Thanks for answer.
That's what I intuitively thought but wasn't sure.
Probably better to spend the money on travel, ink and paper.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There's so many variables it's impossible to answer.
Same landscape/townscape subject in cloudy bright or sunny weather, aperture, ISO, shutter speed, raw conversion in LR, print from LR, same printer , ink and paper. Displayed behind glass in frame on well lit wall.
In other words photographs taken within the modest limitations of a consumer lens and processed normally.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Same landscape/townscape subject in cloudy bright or sunny weather, aperture, ISO, shutter speed, raw conversion in LR, print from LR, same printer , ink and paper. Displayed behind glass in frame on well lit wall.
In other words photographs taken within the modest limitations of a consumer lens and processed normally.
Jeff
So how many ways can the use of a lens hood affect image quality? Time of day/quality of the light? And of course if your tripod is up to the job.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
So how many ways can the use of a lens hood affect image quality? Time of day/quality of the light? And of course if your tripod is up to the job.
And so on ad infinitum.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 5th June 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 1,629
Thanks: 112
Thanked 170 Times in 153 Posts
Likes: 845
Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

DXO mark provide some useful comparison tools for lenses.

This indicates you'd see a benefit but nothing beats hands on experience.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...15_937_897_937
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 5th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
DXO mark provide some useful comparison tools for lenses.

This indicates you'd see a benefit but nothing beats hands on experience.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...15_937_897_937
Thanks.
I find DXO quite difficult to use. I would expect a tightly controlled test to show differences but as you say it is real world experience that would give a better guide.
I assume from replies that such comparisons are not done by expert testers so all that is available is anecdotal information.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 5th June 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 1,629
Thanks: 112
Thanked 170 Times in 153 Posts
Likes: 845
Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Perhaps you'll tell the difference, perhaps not?

On the EM-10, DXO shows the cheap 40-150 at 6 Perceptual Megapixel (P-Mpix) and the optimum sharpness at 40mm f11
The 60mm f2.8 gets 9P-Mpix and is apparently best at 60mm f2.8

If you choose the EM-1 then this goes to 6 vs 10 (for the 60mm) - so you get no advantage from the more expensive body with the cheaper lens but you do from the 60mm.
If you select the EM-1 Mkii then it goes up to 7 vs 13 so the Mkii can apparently squeeze a bit more from the cheaper lens but more from the 60mm.

It suggests to me that (unsurprisingly) the more expensive prime lens is capable of more than the cheaper zoom.

I assume that DXO have scientific methodology in how this is measured otherwise what would be the point?

If that equates to better pictures and then prints, in practice depends on so many other factors it's probably irrelevant to most of us.

I think you're better off spending money on experiences than things but each to their own
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 5th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
Perhaps you'll tell the difference, perhaps not?

On the EM-10, DXO shows the cheap 40-150 at 6 Perceptual Megapixel (P-Mpix) and the optimum sharpness at 40mm f11
The 60mm f2.8 gets 9P-Mpix and is apparently best at 60mm f2.8

If you choose the EM-1 then this goes to 6 vs 10 (for the 60mm) - so you get no advantage from the more expensive body with the cheaper lens but you do from the 60mm.
If you select the EM-1 Mkii then it goes up to 7 vs 13 so the Mkii can apparently squeeze a bit more from the cheaper lens but more from the 60mm.

It suggests to me that (unsurprisingly) the more expensive prime lens is capable of more than the cheaper zoom.

I assume that DXO have scientific methodology in how this is measured otherwise what would be the point?

If that equates to better pictures and then prints, in practice depends on so many other factors it's probably irrelevant to most of us.

I think you're better off spending money on experiences than things but each to their own
Thanks for the interpretation of theDXO information. It is what I was interested to know i.e. my camera sensor would be able to record more detail with the prime lens but whether this would translate to more information in a print is a moot point.
I appreciate the prime lens has other qualities that distinguish it from the low price zoom.
And yes I shall probably produce better pictures spending the money on going places and concentrating on actually taking pictures.😄 But GAS is a strong syndrome.😦
Jeff
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (6th June 2017)
  #12  
Old 5th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

The 'feel' of the image is more important than the ultimate picture quality. I've had a double page spread in a local tourism guide taken with an E-410 and one of the plastic kit lenses.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 6th June 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept ” Henri Cartier-Bresson
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 6th June 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 1,629
Thanks: 112
Thanked 170 Times in 153 Posts
Likes: 845
Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
And yes I shall probably produce better pictures spending the money on going places and concentrating on actually taking pictures.😄 But GAS is a strong syndrome.😦
Jeff
I satisfy my GAS by spending hours researching things when I probably should be working then deciding in the end I can't afford/don't want to spend enough to warrant the purchase
I should probably just go out and take pictures instead but then I'd really not be working as opposed to not really working ...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 6th June 2017
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 200
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Em10 sensor resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept ” Henri Cartier-Bresson
What's wrong with being a bourgeois sort of chap ?
I like sharp. I also like fuzzy when appropriate.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOLVED Resolution. paullus Camera conference 0 31st August 2015 08:00 AM
monitor resolution? Phill D The lounge 10 23rd July 2014 07:31 PM
Too much resolution for you? Rawcoll The lounge 6 21st December 2012 08:05 AM
Now this is resolution... snaarman The lounge 9 9th November 2010 04:13 PM
Display resolution - what's yours? Ian General accessories 10 1st July 2010 07:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger