Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 The second generation smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 13th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New user of OM-D E-M10 MkII

Hi Guys,

Hello my name is Dave. I am new to this forum and I have just purchased an OM-D E-M10 MkII + 14-42mm EZ lens. My other camera is a full frame Nikon D750.

I purchased the E-M10 with a view to a much lighter option (cheaper if stolen or damaged) to carting around my DSLR. After much searching and reviewing of videos and still images on the internet it seemed to be a very good option.

Initially I was not enthralled with the images produced, but once I had found settings like super fine for JPG's I am happier. I normally shoot in both RAW and JPEG simultaneously and use the JPEG as a comparison to my edited version of the RAW file.

Looking at images on the internet I still have a way to go before I get the best out of this camera so I was wondering if anyone reading this (pros in particular) might have a list of preferred settings?

I am not yet totally happy with the way the E-M10 handles highlights. They seem to be somewhat blown out of proportion and the shadows seem to be a bit too dark. Olympus's own editing/importation software leaves a lot to be desired. It is too slow for one thing.

I use quite a few image processors: CS6, Photomatix Pro, On1 PhotoRAW, DxO ViewPoint 2, and I am just trialling the alternative to CS6 CC - Affinity Photo. One thing I have noticed is that Perfectly Clear V3 has a very nice "one click" effect on the images the camera produces.

Does anyone have favourite software that works particularly well for the Olympus E-M10 MkII?

Regards to you all,

Dave

Last edited by Polariser; 13th April 2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: misp
Old 13th April 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Re: New user of OM-D E-M10 MkII

Hello Dave, Welcome to the Forum.

Shooting RAW and using FastStone as the file viewer allows me to open the selected image in DxO Optics Pro for any "tweeks" that I feel are needed.

90% gets done in FastStone with only a very few getting layered up in PS.

As for settings, that is such a personal choice, but do turn on the histogram and don't let the RHS top out.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th April 2017

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

Hi Dave,

I've been using Olympus u43 cameras for about 5 years now, having come from Canon FF. I always shoot raw and process with LR. I found quite early that well exposed and processed raw files from the latest gen 16Mp sensors (as in the E-M10ii) are actually no worse in IQ than the Canon FF sensor in the 5Dii.

As with all digital cameras, it's important not to blow the highlights and the best way to do that is to turn on the over/under exposure indicators on the display. This changes the colour of overexposed areas to bright orange and underexposed areas to blue. Assign one of the dials to exposure compensation and then it's very easy to simply adjust the exposure to ensure there are no important areas that are over-exposed. I prefer this to a histogram since it shows you to know not just that there are blown areas, but WHERE the blown areas are. Sometimes you don't care (e.g. the sun!).

A tip worth noting on the over/exposure indicators (and the histogram) is that they are both driven off the cameras post-raw processing (some users say that it's off the "JPEG" version - which isn't totally true, but it's a reasonable mental model!). This means that as you change image characteristics such as contrast, vivid colour, sharpening, tone curves etc that the histogram changes - even though the raw file doesn't. As such, I always use the "Natural" or "Muted" image setting with no other effects - that way the over/under indicators and histogram are as close to reality as possible.

Another tip worth making is to use the IBIS to get the ISO as low as possible. So long as the subject isn't moving it's amazing how much you can push the shutter speed down.

Finally - I'm no fan of the 14-42EZ. It's not IMHO a particularly good example of what u43 can deliver. If you need a zoom in this range try to find the cash for the 12-40 (or the Panasonic 12-35). It'll really bring out what the E-M10ii has to offer.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 13th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the tips, they are much appreciated.

"FastStone" is totally new to me and I will have a look at it.

Actually, I always use a histogram to check exposure, but despite doing that some highlights were still (IMHO) blown out more than I would have expected.

I will edge more to the left of the histogram in future, but I will also give Paul's suggestion re the over/under exposure indicator a try, and then choose which I like best. It does seem like a handy idea.

Paul, thanks for the lens suggestions. I always expected a kit lens to be a bit of a compromise but was surprised that most internet reviewers actually gave it 5 stars. Your suggested lenses are, of course, excellent, but will have to wait for a little while until more funds become available.

Of course then I will be stuck with the dilemma of buying another Nikon lens or one for the Olympus :-( C'est la vie!

Have a great weekend.

Regard & best wishes,

Dave
Old 13th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polariser View Post

I will edge more to the left of the histogram in future, but I will also give Paul's suggestion re the over/under exposure indicator a try, and then choose which I like best. It does seem like a handy idea.
LR does a great job of recovering highlights on Oly 16Mp raw files. I've used FastStone as a file explorer to view raw files, but wasn't aware it could edit files. In any case, one of LR, DxO and Capture One are the gold standard in raw editors. IMHO you need to be using one of them to be doing serious raw processing (sets himself up to be proved wrong!!).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 13th April 2017

Quote:

LR does a great job of recovering highlights on Oly 16Mp raw files. In fact, I routinely allow a little bit of "orange" (overexposed highlights) in the expectation that I can pull them back later.

That's with LR of course. I've used FastStone as a file explorer to view raw files, but wasn't aware it could edit files. In any case, one of LR, DxO and Capture One are the gold standard in raw editors. IMHO you need to be using one of them to be doing serious raw processing (sets himself up to be proved wrong!!).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 13th April 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hi Dave and a warm welcome to the group.

Some sound advice there from Paul.

I have the E-M10 MKII and the little 14-42 EZ (and a number of other lenses ) and I keep the 14-42 on the camera instead of a body cap as a "ready to go" set up. Like most Olympus lenses the 14-42 EZ "punches above its weight" in relation to its cost.

I always "shoot raw" and develop my images in DxO OpticsPro using FastStone for the minor bits of editing like cloning or re-sizing that I need. I find that if you process from raw in Dxo there is a lot of "headroom" in the E-M10 raw files that enable you to recover a lot of useable data from apparently "blown highlights" and shadows that you will sometimes see in the camera JPEGs. One great advantage of DxO is that the default settings are based on data from actual measurements taken on sample cameras, lenses and camera/lens combinations.There are also a number of other features like micro contrast adjustment,haze reduction and noise processing that I really like.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 13th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the warm welcome you have extended to me, many thanks.

Paul, I downloaded "FastStone" this afternoon, and yes you can indeed edit files quite successfully. Just hover your mouse pointer over the l/h side of the screen and the edit tools appear.

Having used "DxO ViewPoint 2" for a few years now (it is extremely good at straightening out diverging or converging structures like buildings) I am quite keen to see what the Optics Pro program has to offer. I think I will download a trial this evening.

Unfortunately, I never really took to LR, I prefer the full blown Photoshop.

Now that CS6 has gone into the "cloud" I can no longer update my version - that is why I am currently trialling Serif's Affinity Photo (previously only available for the Mac).

This is a program I really do like, and at approx. £40 its a bargain. I think that users of Photoshop will find it a real alternative to monthly subscriptions and placing data in potentially unsecure locations. For new users that want the power of Photoshop, but find it a bit daunting, the video tutorials are very clear and well presented as well. I am impressed!

Best wishes to you all,

Dave
Old 13th April 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Hi Dave.

Welcome to the most positive, knowledgeable and helpful camera forum on the web!

You've had some good advice above. My angle on this is as a long-term Capture One Pro raw converter user, and I use a full-frame Sony A7Rii for landscape and low-light work.

I'd add that whatever processing workflow you use you need to be more careful with m4/3 raw files than with crop or FF sensor output. If you're careful to 'expose to the right' without burning out highlights, and careful not to crop excessively or try to extract too much from the shadows, or push clarity or sharpening too much, then you can get some fantastic results. More skill is needed, frankly.

Looked at the other way, for a lot of applications FF cameras make you lazy since you can get away with a lot of shadow recovery (in particular), and for most real-life images they're actually over-specified. They're certainly over-heavy if you want to use long lenses with them! Sure, if you want to make lots of 16 x 20 prints or larger then it's more reliable to use a larger sensor, but I wonder how many people really do that these days?

From what I've seen you can get excellent results with all the main raw converters. Some people wax lyrical about how wonderful their particular choice is, but while it's probably true that various ones make it easier to achieve certain particular effects, the more balanced reviews I've read have demonstrated that you can get virtually identical results with every one of them if you work at it. I suspect it's best to choose one and spend time learning how to use it properly, rather than switching around.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 13th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your kind and considered advice. It is similar to what I would offer re the choice of lenses. Use what you have to its full potential before buying any more!

Regarding the software. The forum members above have put me in touch with some interesting software - one program that I didn't even know existed! Even if I don't use any of it in the long run it is proving an interesting experience.

I take on board your comments re 4/3 requiring more skill to wring the best out of it.

I have just this evening come to the very same conclusion, but I don't find that at all daunting. I have also realised that whilst I might not have the best lens on the market, my camera is capable of creating some excellent images. I wasn't convinced of that until this evening.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 14th April 2017

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

Welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 14th April 2017

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,079 Posts

Dave welcome to the forum and a great first post discussion. Good to see you making excellent use of this resource already.
Old 14th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Ed and Phil - your welcome is much appreciated. Have a great Easter.

Paul, if you are still watching this thread can you please tell me where to find the over/under exposure indicators settings in the menus? Thanks.

Dave
Old 14th April 2017

Quote:

Paul, if you are still watching this thread can you please tell me where to find the over/under exposure indicators settings in the menus? Thanks.

Dave
It's a bit fiddly Dave TBH. The principle is that when the camera is in Live View (i.e. when you're composing using either the EVF or the LCD) then there are a number of "views" that the camera will show you. You can change the view by pressing the "Info" button - the camera cycles around the views which are setup.

On the more recent cameras (which I think includes the E-M10ii) you can setup two custom views which can contain multiple features (e.g. histogram + over/under indicators). On older cameras, there were no custom views, but you could turn on/off histogram, over/under etc, but you couldn't have more than one visible at the same time. The details below assume the newer cameras. If I'm wrong about the E-M10ii and it's the older scheme then it's not much different but you'll have to figure it our yourself since I don't have an older camera to reference!

So, this is what you do...

1) Press Menu
2) Go to the "cogs" menu - fourth one down. Last one before the spanner
3) Go to sub-menu D - Disp/-))/PC
4) Go to X/Info Settings
5) Select LV-Info
6) Select "Custom 1"
7) Select the view modes you want. The under/over indicators are called "Highlight&Shadow". Select that. You can also select the level gauge and the histogram to taste.

At this point, you'll see three choices with ticks - "Image Only", "Custom 1" (the one you just setup) and "Custom 2". These are the views through which the Live View cycles (what you see when composing) when pressing "Info". If you tick them all then each time you press Info later when composing you'll cycle round them all. Tick fewer and there'll be fewer to cycle around. Personally I just use Custom 1 only.

8) Go all the way back to LiveView by pressing menu repetitively.

Now on the Live View, press the Info button until your "Custom 1" mode appears. There's no indication which tells you which is showing but it should be obvious which you have. I setup Custom 1 to have both Highlight&Shadows and Level Gauge so when I see the level gauge appear I know I have it, even if there are no over/under exposed bits of the image showing.

Let me know if that makes sense or not. If not, I'll try something else to explain it!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks to you both and hello to Wildwood.

Paul, I will give it a go. I don't think that I will have any problems after you detailed description. Thank you for taking the time to explain the set up.

All the best,

Dave