Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th January 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Question Infidelity - a Sillysophical Debate

Heaven only know what I was doing watching Sunday morning tele., but there was some Q&A programme discussing the question:

"Can you commit adultry on-line"

It was all to do with this "Second Life" forum/game (Whatever it is) and there were grown up people discussing weather indulging in "fantacy role play" could be considered as adultry. While I wasn't fully concentrating on it I followed the thread of the discussion and several people held the opinion that it was infidelity.

My reaction was to stop watching and go off and do something productive (make tea), however it stayed in my mind that this was another take on the "Thought Crime" issue, in as much that if you engauge in any activity that allows you to indulge your imagination and that process takes you to a place in your mind (or a virtual world) where you construct alternative realities or have thoughts of such then you are guilty of infidelity.

So where does that leave all of us, as we PhotoShop our way to places that show only that which we want to see and are enhanced to our way of thinking.

My final take on this sillysophical debate was to strengthen my beliefs in one of the many old sayings my granny used to come out with:-

"It matters not where a man (or woman) gains an appetite provided they dine at home"

I have a confession, in that I looked at a D700 and thought about it for a while (which was equivalent to a Bulb exposure) but in my defence I bought an E-3

I hope we continue to see the resultant images of free thinkers and those who let their imagination run wild in whatever realms gives inspiration.

As always please feel free to condem my thoughts as being the rantings of one that has spent too much time typing this when I should have been out taking pictures...

Any Thoughs

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 6th January 2009

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts
Re: Infidelity - a Sillysophical Debate

Reminds me of an old Dave Allen sketch, where two monks (one being Dave Allen) walked past two nuns. As they did so, the heavens opened on Dave Allen, complete with thunder and lightning, upon which his fellow monk remarked 'impure thoughts brother'?

I really don't know how far this 'thought crime' thing can go. Surely out thoughts are one of the few things that can be totally private to us, and provided our thoughts remain thoughts, and do not distort our grasp on reality they are quite harmless.

I am perfectly willing to admit that I am guilty of lusting after 'other brands' on occasions, and having tasted the forbidden fruit I can say that 'it was good'. Then there's Holly Willoughby, especially when she dressed up as Desitiny's Angel one Saturday morning.

I have also been guilty of more serious thought crimes, and it was probably not a good idea for the mother in law to criticise my choice of colour scheme whilst I was carving Sunday dinner, but surely, the important thing is whether we think, or whether we do?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 6th January 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 6th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Reminds me of an old Dave Allen sketch, where two monks (one being Dave Allen) walked past two nuns. As they did so, the heavens opened on Dave Allen, complete with thunder and lightning, upon which his fellow monk remarked 'impure thoughts brother'?...

Then there's Holly Willoughby, especially when she dressed up as Desitiny's Angel one Saturday morning.

the important thing is whether we think, or whether we do?
Those "Sketchettes" of his were absolute classics, Thanks for brightening my day by bringing back a great visual memory

As for Holly, have you seen her in that RED dress, doing a lookalike to "Jessica Rabbit"

As for thoughts translating into deeds, it's how everything we do starts. What seems to be lacking is the self control and right minded beliefs to keep the actions positive.

Old 6th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

As for thoughts translating into deeds, it's how everything we do starts. What seems to be lacking is the self control and right minded beliefs to keep the actions positive.

I suppose it is the 'instant gratification society' that we live in today. Nobody wants to be an apprentice or learn a trade; they want the top job, and they want it now!

Likewise, it is not enough for some people to think about silencing the mother in law, or someone else they don't like: they have to do it for real. After all, it happens on East Enders, so it must be alright.

I wonder whether instant gratification is one of the reasons why so few children learn to play an instrument these days, as it is so easy to buy a CD, or of course download from You Tube or wherever. (The lack of proper music tuition in state schools is also a disgrace in my view, but that is another matter).

So yes; I think you’re right; we have lost our self control, especially when it comes to drinking, drugs, sex, violence, and general bad behaviour..

However, this attitude even extends to photography: Digital has given us instant results, but it doesn't give us instant quality. So rather than setting the camera on a tripod, taking our time, and making two or three really good exposures, we use the camera like a machine gun, and fill an eight gigabyte CF card with several hundred mediocre photographs on double the time it would have taken to do it properly.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this modern world?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Those "Sketchettes" of his were absolute classics, Thanks for brightening my day by bringing back a great visual memory

Thinking about it, two other classic sketches that I remember were the hellfire and brimstone sermon, where Dave Allen (as the Priest) asked God to strike down the greatest sinner, upon which a meteorite crashed through the church roof into the pulpit.

There was also the sketch where someone had farted during a service, and after giving dirty looks to the choirboys and altar boys it turned out to be the Bishop.

Priceless.

Oh; and I'll have to keep an eye open for Holly's red dress.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th January 2009

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
There was also the sketch where someone had farted during a service, and after giving dirty looks to the choirboys and altar boys it turned out to be the Bishop.
I remember that one, particularly the beautific smile the Bishop gave as he nodded to Dave Allen as if to say, "Yes, it was me. Wasn't it a corker!"

My thanks also for the memories

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 7th January 2009

I found some clips on You Tube last night, and shall I just say the tears of laughter nearly ran down my leg.

Have You Farted?

Enjoy

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 7th January 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Brilliant clip.

If only the so called "funny men" of today were to review these great talents they could improve their acts enormously...