Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 24th July 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Bags!

Barcelona: from what I've heard it's possible to become encircled by a swarm of individuals, teenagers etc, and your gear is gone in an instant. Stripped bare like a crop devoured by a swarm of locusts. In all probability you'll be fine, just trust your gut instinct.

on flickr
Old 24th July 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Leaver your camera at home and buy postcards.
I'd be tempted to follow this advice. Probably better photos too, talking personally.

on flickr
Old 24th July 2017

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I'd be tempted to follow this advice. Probably better photos too, talking personally.
Trouble is I am a compulsive photographer. OCD possibly...........

Just have to stay out of the trouble areas. I have read reports that the area is no worse than other cities, but I would be vary very wary about walking around areas in London with a couple of grands worth of gear around my neck...

My thoughts are that if you bend to the hoy poloi, they have won the day..............but maybe that's a naive thought these days. Have to be streetwise as well..

May just get a small compact, I did have a Canon Sureshot, which I am now regretting selling...........

Or may be look at that XZ-1..

My Flickr
Old 24th July 2017

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts

Insurance and common sense. Take multiple memory cards and swap them out during the day and don't put them in your wallet - back them up nightly.
Avoid shiny bags covered in photography logos.

If you're really worried then taping up the camera and lens with gaffa tape and coloured insulating tape to make it look bad will help to deter thieves but I'd never bother.

I often wear my Streetcase, E-M10 or E-PL5 over my left shoulder under my jacket. Mainly because it stops the straps from sliding off my arm but it also puts the camera under my arm. Makes it much harder to see in the first place and much less accessible. It's still easy enough to swing up and take a shot but I don't feel as conspicuous as dangling a camera around my neck.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (24th July 2017)
Old 24th July 2017

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,536 Posts

Gosh, Jackets in 35'c.............

As you say, common sense. I don't suppose its barbaric there, just have to be careful.......and sensible.

In the end the photo's will only be holiday snaps, maybe something arty if it presents itself, who needs expensive cameras for that!

Now there's a thought

My Flickr
Old 25th July 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was just reminded I have rarely posted even though off and on I have owned Olympus cameras since before there was m4/3. I have traveled to Barcelona, London , etc. While it's true your bag could be snatched there it could happen in your home town or city as well. Should you then never carry a camera (or a briefcase or a bag of any kind)? Insurance is a great idea but if part of the fun of a trip is taking photos why would you let the fear of a very remote possibility stop you?
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th July 2017)