Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-330

Olympus E-330 E-330 specific discussion.

Old 3rd December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did you buy an E-330? And what do you think of it?

As an E-330 owner I just wondered why other E-330 owners bought theirs? And what do you think of it?

I'll share my reasons later...
Old 4th December 2008

Liked 666 Times in 344 Posts
Re: Why did you buy an E-330? And what do you think of it?

E-330 is a love hate relation.

To me, I cannot live without that True LiveView and articulated LCD. My Oly path was from 8080 to the E-500..but due to the lack of that Live View and Articulated LCD, I swap that E-500 with a E-330 just a few months after that purchase.

I was with that E-330 till I hit that noise and banding. Not only that, the supplied kit lens of 14-45 was so bad that I had to send both in countless times and i finally sold it. and bought myself a E-500.

2 months trying to get use to peeping through that View Finder..it was no go.

Gave myself another extra month..finally I sold that E-500. I bought back an E-330.

It was back to that Live View that I loved and that Articulated LCD. This E-330 have been with me since..it's already into it's 3rd year and have endured temperatures of -26 to +42 deg C. Been with me through the wet, salty as well as dusty and dry.

I have learn to live with it's limitations and make use of it's advantages. Outdoor under bright sunshine, that Viewfinder is so soothing (it's not as bright as the other E-systems) and when it's dark, that Live view boost is a welcome aid to framing.

To those who use the E-330, do you know that it's possible to use the camera with both the internal and external flash together?

Have since added the Lumix OIS lens to it. So Now I too have IS on my E-330

So Olympus, When are you going to update this flat top with at least 5 ~ 9 AF points, IS and better ISO handling? Nothing else should be removed from the existing beauty.

All my garbage so far.
Old 4th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Naturally, the E-330 was an icon being the first full color live view DSLR with a tilting screen.

I didn't like the fact the screen only tilts up and down. The off-set viewfinder took some getting used to and of course the finder is not as bright as an E-500 or E-4x0/E-5x0 because of the semi-silvered mirror, but as a camera to use it's very good.

My E-330 has a problem with the screen - the colours go haywire sometimes. It may be a ribbon cable problem. Anyone experience this?

The 14-45 kit lens is sharp, but doesn't focus as closely as the other Oly kit zooms.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th December 2008
Xpres

I like mine. It's one I'll keep, along with the E1.
It's handy for macro shots and using old MF lenses because of the live view and tilting screen - which also makes it good to use on a copy stand. Image quality is good with great colours.
Most of all I like the off set viewfinder. The worst thing about normal dslr is your nose rubbing against the screen.
Old 4th December 2008

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I had an E1 and I wanted a spare camera that was quite small and stuff-into-a-bag-able that would take good photos. The options were E300, E500 or E330 - at the time as the E400 was too expensive and not battery compatible. As an unfancied camera a second hand E330 was cheap on eBay and came with some extra kit. I read a review and decided it was worth a try.

I liked it: Chunky, well built, well specified with the live view and a flash.

I still like it: Ergonomic, great build and image quality and it almost fits in my pocket. As a result most of my day-to-day photos or those from light, space-limited trips are taken with the E330 and I can see no reason to change that. I still use my E3 if I want top quality but doesn't everybody?

What I don't like: The mode dial does not lock, no IS, no future developments.

What I'm not fussed about: Small viewfinder.

Nick
Old 16th January 2009
anguskirk

I got my E330 for its tiltable screen because I'm into nature photography. I have since got some of my best shots using that feature, and not just at ground level. I consider it so valuable that I would not now consider a camera with a fixed screen.

What don't I like? The lack of IS pricipally. Also, the autofocus often fails in dim light, you can't use the articulated screen for vertical shots and auto-bracketing is only +1 to -1ev (too narrow for HDR). For the latter reasons I'll probably buy an E30 as well.
Old 24th May 2009
dabchick

Three reasons why I bought it and am keeping it. Liveview A mode, the ability to use the on camera flash and a secondary flash simultaneously and the articulating LCD. These things make the camera stand out from the crowd for me and make it a great street camera and creative tool. Until another camera comes out with a faster liveview mode and the additional flash functionality then I won't be getting rid of it. I also like the quirky design and can live with the lowlight/higher ISO limitations as I plan to get either an E-30 or E-3 in the not too distant future. All things considered the liveview modes are the killer features for me.
Old 28th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's about time I gave my answer I think, it's been a while...

We first bought our E-500 twin lens kit (from Currys of all places - they had the best deal at the time!), but I soon got fed up with trying to share it with my wife and daughter as we'd almost end up fighting over it.

So I was looking around and spotted that Digital Depot were clearing out the E-1 and E-330s. I quite fancied an E-1 so the wife and I popped in to have look and feel. While the E-1 was and still is a brilliant camera as soon as we played with the E-330 we were both hooked... I was totally blown away with the articulated LiveView screen.

Obviously we went home with an E-330, a decision I've not regretted.

I love LiveView, I love the handling and I especially like it's 'big compact' looks that don't draw attention in places like London. LiveView lets me take shots I just couldn't or wouldn't take easily with a normal DSLR. I've taken photos at waist level, photos with the camera above my head so I can shoot over a crowd, I've taken shots with it on the ground and LiveView is just brilliant for candids and macros.

Quite honestly I don't understand why so many photographers don't seem keen on LiveView and I really don't know why the E-330 didn't catch on with the paparazzi as it seems to have been made for them.

If we'd bought the E-330 first. we'd have two of them now instead of an E-330 and the E-500! We now fight over who will use the E-330 instead as it's become our favourite camera, but we may buy our daughter her own E-410/420 (or preferably an E-620!).
Old 21st October 2009
t2o

Upgrading from an E20, I didn't realise 'proper' DSLRs didn't have what we now call Live View so, when I went looking, the E330 was the only choice - and at 299 at Digital Depot it was a genuine bargain at the time!

It is a brilliant camera - viewfinder is a bit small; I would like an IS version but I can't afford one of the later DSLRs.

Sometimes I wish that I'd stayed with the E20. I had all the lenses so it was a very versatile package with just one major failing - the widest angle you could get was 28mm equivalent (and I did love my OM 21mm), so now I have an 11-22mm for the E330

Cheers

John
Old 21st October 2009

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2o View Post
It is a brilliant camera
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
As a result most of my day-to-day photos or those from light, space-limited trips are taken with the E330 and I can see no reason to change that.
As you can see from my signature I no longer have an E-330. It had to go to the happy camera shop in the sky, being uneconomical to repair: Quoted 175 in total for a broken card cover and lens mount ring on the accompanying 14-42mm.

I am particularly unhappy about losing such a good camera, especially to such a small injury.

Nick
Old 30th November 2009

Liked 666 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
As you can see from my signature I no longer have an E-330. It had to go to the happy camera shop in the sky, being uneconomical to repair: Quoted 175 in total for a broken card cover and lens mount ring on the accompanying 14-42mm.

I am particularly unhappy about losing such a good camera, especially to such a small injury.

Nick
Have you dumped it? if not, would you consider having it repaired for much less? A member of my local forum is in UK now. He will be returning to M'sia sometime the end of this week. I think it can be repaired for much less here then in UK.

All my garbage so far.
Old 9th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my 330 of of ebay as 'Non repairable' and 'Uneconomical to repair bill' so I bought it for a price of 35 Euros. The body came with one lens, ZD 14-42 that looked as if it had seen better days. The body in itself is in very good condition, but needless to say the electronics weren't. In the DC/DC controller was a defect caused through the LCD ribbon cable. After about 6 to 7 hours with some fine tips on my meter, I found two diodes, one open circuit and the other short. Then it took some 2 to 3 weeks to get the right soldering iron with temp control and a 2mm tip. The two diodes have been changed and the ribbon cable taken off the camera, so as not to short the controller again. So the cam has no LCD, this will come later. Now the cam works and I was astounded to see the quality of the shots. The 330 has a 'Better quality' feel than my 520 and at almost twice the weight not what you would call a truly portable camera.

Mike
Old 9th December 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_in_Germany View Post
I bought my 330 of of ebay as 'Non repairable' and 'Uneconomical to repair bill' so I bought it for a price of 35 Euros. The body came with one lens, ZD 14-42 that looked as if it had seen better days. The body in itself is in very good condition, but needless to say the electronics weren't. In the DC/DC controller was a defect caused through the LCD ribbon cable. After about 6 to 7 hours with some fine tips on my meter, I found two diodes, one open circuit and the other short. Then it took some 2 to 3 weeks to get the right soldering iron with temp control and a 2mm tip. The two diodes have been changed and the ribbon cable taken off the camera, so as not to short the controller again. So the cam has no LCD, this will come later. Now the cam works and I was astounded to see the quality of the shots. The 330 has a 'Better quality' feel than my 520 and at almost twice the weight not what you would call a truly portable camera.

Mike
That's very interesting. My own E-330 does have some signs of damage to the ribbon cable feeding the screen as the image gets jumpy when the screen is moved sometimes.

It's interesting that you feel the E-330 image quality is better than an E-520. I 'm not sure I agree with you

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 9th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ian
I was referring to the mechanical build of the camera rather than the image quality, although the image quality is very good.

Be careful of that ribbon cable, Ian. It carries signal level voltage and a higher voltage for the LCD lighting. It would not surprise me if my LCD-Controller has gone as well which would mean a main board exchange, we will see.

Mike