Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th February 2015

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts
Digital vs Analogue...

On a website today relating to something completely different is a view on the Digital vs Analogue debate....whilst we all strive for perfection it's worth noting that it's not the be all and end all...as pointed out by this lady photographer...

DIGITAL VS ANALOGUE

16/10/2012
In years to come we will be showing our children, our grandchildren, digital images on ipads and monitors. They’ll be just a few thousand pixels stored on hard drives, in folders we probably wont be able to find named under a few quickly typed letters. Images these days are altered in some way, photoshopping bodies into hourglass shapes, tighting cropping, adding instagram filters to make them look ‘unique’ and ‘vintage’, some most decidedly deleted as they weren’t flattering, interesting or too dark/bright. Who knows, grandpas nose could have been photoshopped!

I’ve always loved looking though old family albums; through the black and white, sepia and finally colour prints. Some faded, some ripped, some glossy and still looking new, some with curved edges, some as small as passport photographs; memories you’re able to touch. Looking though the fashions my grandparents wore, the vintage cars they owned, the places they travelled to, the exteriors of shops and streets, family living rooms and the awfully patterned curtains… All these things seem interesting decades later. But right now, the things we do, what we wear, the places we live in, it can all seem so normal and boring to us. But even 10 years later, we’ll be laughing at the clothes we once thought were trendy. We should be documenting our lives because one day, we wont be able to remember. One day we’ll want to show our children that we were once as fun and outgoing as them (hopefully I still will be). And as awfully cheesy as it sounds, photographs preserve memories.

Science has handed to us the tools to capture every single moment in our lives, yet film is still going strong. We should cherish every frame, every blurry image and hold onto our ‘outdated’ cameras. A future where every person owns a professional, sharp, clear, photographic device is not so far away and once we’re there, we’ll most likely want to go back to the ‘old days’, just as some of us do now.

Cheers

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (4th February 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
benvendetta (4th February 2015), Simon Bee (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts
Re: Digital vs Analogue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
A future where every person owns a professional, sharp, clear, photographic device is not so far away and once we’re there, we’ll most likely want to go back to the ‘old days’, just as some of us do now.
When I got a 36 exposure set of prints back from the processor, at least 30 of them went straight into the bin!

Jim
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I got a 36 exposure set of prints back from the processor, at least 30 of them went straight into the bin!

Jim

But that is not the fault of the 'medium' Jim, not that you are for one moment suggesting it is/was of course

Could well have been the processing, good labs who 'care' about what they produce are getting quite thin on the ground.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 848 Times in 543 Posts

You can always have your digital files printed, just like the old days! Several web sites allow you to upload them and they'll send you the prints back, or get it done on the high street . I suspect few younger people do that though, preferring Facebook et al!
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
On a website today relating to something completely different is a view on the Digital vs Analogue debate....whilst we all strive for perfection it's worth noting that it's not the be all and end all...as pointed out by this lady photographer...

DIGITAL VS ANALOGUE

16/10/2012
In years to come we will be showing our children, our grandchildren, digital images on ipads and monitors. They’ll be just a few thousand pixels stored on hard drives, in folders we probably wont be able to find named under a few quickly typed letters. Images these days are altered in some way, photoshopping bodies into hourglass shapes, tighting cropping, adding instagram filters to make them look ‘unique’ and ‘vintage’, some most decidedly deleted as they weren’t flattering, interesting or too dark/bright. Who knows, grandpas nose could have been photoshopped!

I’ve always loved looking though old family albums; through the black and white, sepia and finally colour prints. Some faded, some ripped, some glossy and still looking new, some with curved edges, some as small as passport photographs; memories you’re able to touch. Looking though the fashions my grandparents wore, the vintage cars they owned, the places they travelled to, the exteriors of shops and streets, family living rooms and the awfully patterned curtains… All these things seem interesting decades later. But right now, the things we do, what we wear, the places we live in, it can all seem so normal and boring to us. But even 10 years later, we’ll be laughing at the clothes we once thought were trendy. We should be documenting our lives because one day, we wont be able to remember. One day we’ll want to show our children that we were once as fun and outgoing as them (hopefully I still will be). And as awfully cheesy as it sounds, photographs preserve memories.

Science has handed to us the tools to capture every single moment in our lives, yet film is still going strong. We should cherish every frame, every blurry image and hold onto our ‘outdated’ cameras. A future where every person owns a professional, sharp, clear, photographic device is not so far away and once we’re there, we’ll most likely want to go back to the ‘old days’, just as some of us do now.

Cheers

Peter
As much as I 'enjoy' my em1 film is my true love and always will be, I guess I'm just from that 'period' in time so to speak. In the last six months I may have taken about 100 digital images while at the same time I have shot twenty six rolls of 35mm and fifteen rolls of 120.

Digital cameras do not 'connect' with me in the same way film cameras do, I do 'enjoy' using the em1, it's a great camera, but I absolutely 'LOVE' using my OM4ti, Leica M6 and Hasselblad 202FA.

This Autumn will see my attic converted ( now the roof has been replaced ) into a working craft room for my wife and chemical darkroom for myself ( half & half split, it's a very large attic ) so 'I' will be developing and printing once again.

There is of course no denying the 'digital revolution' has helped enormously 'the masses' and that can only be a good thing, more people taking photographs and getting better as they learn quicker. It has also I am sure, 'saved the bacon' of quite a few manufacturers, how often did we change our film cameras?

Both mediums are great and co-exist nicely, at the end of the day it is the end result that counts, personally though I do like having a negative to fall back on.

Kind regards,

Simon
Old 4th February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Talking Re: Digital vs Analogue...

My OM4-Ti will still work even when the battery is flat.

Try that with a digital brick...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

I've served my time with fingers in the fixer swirling a print to and fro under the Dim Red Light. Aaah yes!

But would I go back to the dust and ashes that I remember film to be. No I don't think so.

Would I like to have an old style mechanical 35mm SLR to pick up and fire at 1/15th (ger-click) .. yes I would. Cameras were like made like a quality wristwatch in those days, and I miss that. I don't miss the dust marks and slightly soft images that I used to get..

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Jim Ford (5th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
..as pointed out by this lady photographer...
...who seems to be equating "film" with "prints."
Half a brain.
Is she saying that digital files cannot be printed?
Is she saying that prints in old albums withstand the rigours of time and decay better than backed up didtal files?
Is she saying digital photos cannot record the fashions of the day?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th February 2015), Magus (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

I love looking at pictures taken in the past be it holidays special occasions candid garden shoots of us our children and now grandchildren. Just because they are now taken by a digital camera need not mean they wont be seen and treasured in the same way. We have albums with shelves full of printed photos' many from digital cameras. We generally only look at those albums now if they predated the digital era. My digital photos are easily and quickly accessible via my lightroom catalogue. My own preference is for the modern way I love the digital revolution. My digital pictures don't fade I can access them on the tele screen rather than as a 6x4. I can burn them as a picture show (DVD/ BD) with music. I can take thousands while on holiday without a bank load and they take up no space at all.

When I am long gone I hope that my children and grandchild will still have access to pictures we have taken and when the time is right will still enjoy the pleasure that picture can give be it on paper or as a digital file shown on screen. I can not foresee why they would not be able to view these pictures because of the digital format it was taken on. With respect I think the lady's concerns are misplaced.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Jim Ford (5th February 2015)
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
...who seems to be equating "film" with "prints."
Half a brain.
Is she saying that digital files cannot be printed?
Is she saying that prints in old albums withstand the rigours of time and decay better than backed up didtal files?
Is she saying digital photos cannot record the fashions of the day?
Hi there Ulfric!

I think that she is trying to say that because now we don't have to have expensive printed photographs, nobody will - a bit of a large supposition in my view, but I can understand where she is coming from. In the past because you spent so much cash on processing the film and printing the photograph, you looked after them better and filed them for future viewing, leaving all the poor, out of focus or just dreary pictures in the pack.

This is clearly not necessarily so, but to a degree now that I use digital I have thousands of poor photos to wade through to find the really good ones because my work flow is totally undisciplined - whereas I have to flick through a few packs of photos from before the days of digital to find only a few really nice pictures.

I am however rather keen on backing up all my pictures whether good or bad, hence having 3 different back-ups of each photo!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

are some of backups in a different building to your computer
Old 5th February 2015

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

I have some photos on smartmedia (ok, they have been backed up onto my PC). How many people have smartmedia readers these days.

I don't but could have hundreds of photos stored on 5 1/4" (really) floppy, or maybe 3 1/2" (hard) floppy.

When Granny dies what do you do with a cardboard box full of smartmedia, memory stick, or floppy disks; parallel ATA, IDE or SCSI disks; VHS tapes of those treasured videos or laser disk recordings?

Anyone even see a plated wire reader?

Photo Prints, Books, and Vinyl (music) discs are the only reliable long term storage medium because the technology to read them does not go out of date (stick a pin in a cone of paper and rest it on a rotating vinyl disc and you can at least hear something).
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
are some of backups in a different building to your computer
Yes.

My pictures are on my hard disk, they are also on an external hard disk in the same room. They are also on a network hard disk downstairs, and finally they are also on overlapping DVD backup disks at work 15 miles away...

No, they are not on the cloud. That's because the pictures belong to me, not everyone else in the world...

:-)

At least I have copies. In my opinion the old style family photo archives are usually in the form of one fading copy of each en-print and no negative (that got lost years ago)

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

I have read of recordable CDs and DVDs decaying, I have a 3 TB hard drive that is normally kept in the garden shed a 100 feet away from the house, every two weeks or so, or after a major photo activity, is taken to the house and connected to the computer to get a full back up the system and all image files.

AS the connection is an e-SATA connection the time to update is relatively quick.
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

I remember being being pleased with Kodachrome II slides I took in the 60s with a decent SLR of the day. But digging them out now they barely come up to the standard of a Point and Shoot, or even a 'phone camera.

Jim