Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 3rd February 2014

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts
Oly 9mm fisheye bodycap - why should I want one?

This new oddity seems like a cheap way to get a fisheye that's probably not as good as the Samyang and certainly not as versatile, or else an expensive way to be sure you've always got the wrong lens on the camera. Or is it just an expensive, heavy and fragile body cap?

What am I missing?

How easy is it to clean all the fingerprints and camera bag dust off the front element?

I've tried the Samyang fisheye and I'm rather tempted, but I certainly don't need two fisheyes.

Any suggestions and thoughts are most welcome!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 4th February 2014

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: Oly 9mm fisheye bodycap - why should I want one?

The Samyang fisheye is first-class. Personally, I don't see the point in these body-cap lenses. They are slow, probably not the greatest IQ and whilst relatively cheap, they are maybe still almost 50% of the cost of the Sammy!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4th February 2014

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
The Samyang fisheye is first-class. Personally, I don't see the point in these body-cap lenses. They are slow, probably not the greatest IQ and whilst relatively cheap, they are maybe still almost 50% of the cost of the Sammy!
Yup, that's what I'm feeling at the moment, but I was just checking I wasn't missing something.

I'm saving for the (imminent?) f2.8 Oly 40-150, but if finances look OK at the end of the FY I'll award myself the Samyang as well. I tried it briefly during one of the New Year London Oly photo walks and was quite impressed.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 5th February 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

The Samyang 8mm lens is said to be good, I have a 'Rokinon' 7.5mm Fisheye which I like a lot. The effect is interesting and the lens has added something fun to my Photography. See some of my Fisheye shots at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1146933...7639867194394/
If you only want the very occasional fisheye shot then a Olly lens cap lens may be the answer.

As far as I know Samyang lenses come in a variety of 'makers' names and are identical to each other. Quite why Samyang make 14mm, 8mm, 7.5mm and 6.5mm fisheyes puzzles me. Maybe not all of them are available in all camera fittings, but in Mft you can certainly buy 7.5mm and 8mm!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 5th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts

The body cap lens is fun and a bit of a gimmick. No way will it compete with a Samyang.

Having said that, it has dual purpose and takes up next to no room in the bag. With a Pen body it makes a very pocketable, compact and discrete package for street photography, although the 15mm cap may be better for that, depending on your style. The IQ won't be anything to shout about but in the right situation (maybe with grainy B&W or pinhole art filters) this could add to the mood. My very first camera, a Zeiss Ikonta, was distinctly soft at the edges so the body cap could perhaps emulate this type of nostalgia. Creative photographers will get some very nice shots with one of these. I would imagine it's a Marmite accessory - you'll either love it or hate it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th February 2014

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
With a Pen body it makes a very pocketable, compact and discrete package for street photography .... The IQ won't be anything to shout about but in the right situation (maybe with grainy B&W or pinhole art filters) this could add to the mood..
Exactly. I am coming to terms with my new 15mm body cap lens this week. I can imagine using the 9mm body cap lens, though I'm not certain I actually want a fish-eye...

The idea is you fit it to the Pen*, and you get a working m4/3 that is almost point and shoot size. No AF, no delay, and very basic photography. However - yes it's soft at the edges and at f8 it is very slow indeed, so DoF tricks are almost impossible.

You have to think differently. This is "fun" lens that you can park on the camera if you want not-so-serious shots in the point and shoot vein. If you come across something serious then you need a good prime lens in your pocket. Otherwise just click away :-)

Pete

PS. When this 15mm is on the Pen, the VF2 viewfinder comes off. Using a viewfinder is taking things too seriously for this lens...

*I did put this 15mm on my E-M5 and it looked insulted, so I took it off again.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Anne (5th February 2014), Zuiko (5th February 2014)
Old 5th February 2014

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

There's a review and sample images on Robin Wong's Blog http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
The Following User Says Thank You to The Technician For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (5th February 2014)
Old 5th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Technician View Post
There's a review and sample images on Robin Wong's Blog http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/
He has got some surprisingly good images. You may not want to make exhibition prints from this lens but for web use..........

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
The Technician (5th February 2014)
Old 5th February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

It's the only lens I use now.