Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12th September 2013
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,411
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Got the 12-40 at last!

Was supposed to have received the new m.Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 Pro last week in time for the launch coverage but it got lost in the system at one of Olympus' retailers who had it in for catalogue photography. The rather weird thing is that there is only one in the country - and it's already missing its lens hood!

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12th September 2013
Andrew Riddell Andrew Riddell is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London
Posts: 503
Thanks: 99
Thanked 44 Times in 43 Posts
Likes: 30
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

You mean the lens hood is actually included???

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12th September 2013
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,411
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
You mean the lens hood is actually included???

Andrew
Shock horror, but yes it does!

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12th September 2013
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 493
Thanked 416 Times in 324 Posts
Likes: 489
Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Ian;

It really is time to change your avatar :-)

BTW: Deep respect to you for having knowledge of this monster camera and keeping it quiet for so long in the face of those leaks. That must have been difficult.

Looking at the spec and the early reviews it really deserves to be a worthy successor to the excellent E-M5 for Olympus.

In fact it looks like a E-M5 with a sprinkling of E-1 magic dust on it. If only I had a couple of grand to spare...


Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12th September 2013
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,742
Thanks: 83
Thanked 296 Times in 261 Posts
Likes: 167
Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Was supposed to have received the new m.Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 Pro last week in time for the launch coverage but it got lost in the system at one of Olympus' retailers who had it in for catalogue photography. The rather weird thing is that there is only one in the country - and it's already missing its lens hood!

Ian
So I guess there will just be bodies at Bristol tomorrow
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12th September 2013
Dan in NC's Avatar
Dan in NC Dan in NC is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Posts: 46
Thanks: 24
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

I will be interested in your review of this lens. It has the potential to be a really good one.
__________________
Dan Lang
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th September 2013
Pierre L Pierre L is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Caerleon, Newport, UK
Posts: 221
Thanks: 200
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 144
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
So I guess there will just be bodies at Bristol tomorrow
... or an opportunity to see how the E-M1 handles the 12-60mm SWD?

I am interested in this aspect since I plan to travel to Park Cameras on Saturday
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13th September 2013
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,742
Thanks: 83
Thanked 296 Times in 261 Posts
Likes: 167
Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre L View Post
... or an opportunity to see how the E-M1 handles the 12-60mm SWD?

I am interested in this aspect since I plan to travel to Park Cameras on Saturday
Although my 12-60 is my weapon of choice, I wouldn't have minded a play with the 'new' kit lens.
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13th September 2013
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,512
Thanks: 346
Thanked 487 Times in 407 Posts
Likes: 2,138
Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

I had a very interesting but brief play with the 12-40 at the London meet yesterday, comparing it against my Panny 12-35. The light wasn't great in the studio and I didn't go outside in to the street since someone else was queuing to try the lens, so I'm not going to compare critically the image quali at ASA 1600!

Raw, uncorrected images look to have about the same amount of distortion across the zoom range, for what that's worth. I didn't detect any obvious difference in focussing speed. In-lens OIS might sway some Panasonic body owners (while putting off Oly body owners since they're paying for something they'll never use).

I've come to love the 12-35, and I'm sure I'd have felt the same about this: the Oly is noticeably heavier, but the size difference is minimal. 62 vs 58mm filter sizes might be significant for a few people. Both lenses feel very high quality and smooth in handling, although the zoom rings move in opposite directions, of course.

The Panny front element is more curved, I think, such that I feel compelled to use a UV filter to make it easier to clean & dry.

It'll be interesting to see how the prices compare after the 12-40 has been around for a few months. I don't think the zoom range difference would sway me either way and if I was choosing between them from scratch it would be a tough choice.

Both come with hoods
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (13th September 2013)
  #10  
Old 13th September 2013
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 11,849
Thanks: 2,329
Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Likes: 6,053
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Being somewhat peculiar I would like to see how the E-M5 + 12-40mm stacks up against the E-M1 + FT 12-60mm. Is the E-M1 going to get people excited about buying 4/3rd glass (as oppossed to those who already have it) or is the new "Pro" range of MFT lenses going to be as good as the legendary HG/SHG.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13th September 2013
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,742
Thanks: 83
Thanked 296 Times in 261 Posts
Likes: 167
Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

I don't think that the range of Pro glass will ever rival the range of HG and SHG glass
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13th September 2013
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,411
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I don't think that the range of Pro glass will ever rival the range of HG and SHG glass
I met the optical designer of the 12-40 in Japan last month and he says the 12-40 is sharper than the 12-60. It's an incredibly ambitious design. Andy Westlake, who is one of dpreview's lens specialists, joked to me that they should simply highlight the lens elements that are ordinary rather than mark out all the special glass in the optics layout diagram

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13th September 2013
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,411
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I had a very interesting but brief play with the 12-40 at the London meet yesterday, comparing it against my Panny 12-35. The light wasn't great in the studio and I didn't go outside in to the street since someone else was queuing to try the lens, so I'm not going to compare critically the image quali at ASA 1600!

Raw, uncorrected images look to have about the same amount of distortion across the zoom range, for what that's worth. I didn't detect any obvious difference in focussing speed. In-lens OIS might sway some Panasonic body owners (while putting off Oly body owners since they're paying for something they'll never use).

I've come to love the 12-35, and I'm sure I'd have felt the same about this: the Oly is noticeably heavier, but the size difference is minimal. 62 vs 58mm filter sizes might be significant for a few people. Both lenses feel very high quality and smooth in handling, although the zoom rings move in opposite directions, of course.

The Panny front element is more curved, I think, such that I feel compelled to use a UV filter to make it easier to clean & dry.

It'll be interesting to see how the prices compare after the 12-40 has been around for a few months. I don't think the zoom range difference would sway me either way and if I was choosing between them from scratch it would be a tough choice.

Both come with hoods
How were you viewing the RAW files because corrections are applied automatically in many RAW converters as standard.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13th September 2013
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,411
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
So I guess there will just be bodies at Bristol tomorrow
The 12-40 I have WAS the only one up until yesterday. More may have arrived since then for the demos. When we arrived in Ireland for our press launch and intro a shipment of some 30+ 12-40s so we could all have one each only arrived 15 minutes before we did!

I'd be interested to know if there are any more.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13th September 2013
Pierre L Pierre L is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Caerleon, Newport, UK
Posts: 221
Thanks: 200
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 144
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Got the 12-40 at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I met the optical designer of the 12-40 in Japan last month and he says the 12-40 is sharper than the 12-60. It's an incredibly ambitious design. Andy Westlake, who is one of dpreview's lens specialists, joked to me that they should simply highlight the lens elements that are ordinary rather than mark out all the special glass in the optics layout diagram

Ian
I didn't want to read that! I definitely want the 12-40 now, and possibly the E-M1 to go with it.

Last edited by Pierre L; 13th September 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger