Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 27th October 2012
donmcmahan

OM-D video question

is anyone here shooting much video with the OM-D? my question is in regards to the OM-D frame rate and the frequency of AC electricity, the OM-D shoots 30fps video and that is just fine in the parts of the world where the AC electricity is 60htz but here in Europe the AC power is 50htz so the invisible(to the eye) flickering of electric lights can be picked up on video that is shot at a frame rate that does not match up. Virtually every other video capable camera shoots 25fps on models made for the european market. I know that this flickering can and does show up on OM-D video but my question is, is it very noticeable? is it very objectionable? I know that the OM-D is no GH2 when it comes to video but I think it would be generally good enough for my needs, but if you can not shoot indoors under artificial light without seeing an annoying level of light flicker would be a deal killer for me. thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this issue.
Old 28th October 2012

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: OM-D video question

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcmahan View Post
is anyone here shooting much video with the OM-D? my question is in regards to the OM-D frame rate and the frequency of AC electricity, the OM-D shoots 30fps video and that is just fine in the parts of the world where the AC electricity is 60htz but here in Europe the AC power is 50htz so the invisible(to the eye) flickering of electric lights can be picked up on video that is shot at a frame rate that does not match up. Virtually every other video capable camera shoots 25fps on models made for the european market. I know that this flickering can and does show up on OM-D video but my question is, is it very noticeable? is it very objectionable? I know that the OM-D is no GH2 when it comes to video but I think it would be generally good enough for my needs, but if you can not shoot indoors under artificial light without seeing an annoying level of light flicker would be a deal killer for me. thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this issue.
I've just tried a couple of video shorts under incandescent & fluorescent lights without any noticeable flicker at all & we are on 50Hz here in Australia.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Tags
frame rate, om-d, video