Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 12th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to edit, or not

With a charming scene like this; with modern power lines, TV aerials, heating ducts and so on - is it right to make it my vision of what the scene should be, by removing them? Or should the photograph be left original, modern warts and all?

I suppose it depends on the intent, a painter could probably leave out modern additions without anyone batting an eyelid, do different standards apply to us as photographers?

Old 12th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts
Re: to edit, or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
With a charming scene like this; with modern power lines, TV aerials, heating ducts and so on - is it right to make it my vision of what the scene should be, by removing them? Or should the photograph be left original, modern warts and all?

I suppose it depends on the intent, a painter could probably leave out modern additions without anyone batting an eyelid, do different standards apply to us as photographers?

I really like this shot and the way you've used the fence to lead into the scene, wish I'd thought of that composition.

Personally I think it is OK to remove the original paraphernalia. It's not as bad as trimming inches off a model's waist, potentially influencing young girls to develop eating disorders in an attempt to emulate the look.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th August 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

In the past I've gone to great lengths to remove pylons from an Elizabethan mansion. And I've left Sky dishes on Cotswold cottages. I think it's down to personal preferences and intended audience.

In this case I think I'd leave the modern artifacts in, as they're not over offensive.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th August 2012
richardlongley

personally, I think far too many things are edited and removed.

For example, here the TV ariels add a lot of information, and help to date the picture.

The only reason I would see for removing them woudl be if you wanted to strick the viewer into thinking that the picture was taken a long time ago
Old 12th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On a personal level I would remove said items,as I don't think they add anything to the image. However if you were intending selling on the image the client might want it otherwise - a potential dilema we all face when taking images of this nature. That's why i am an advocate of PS - but in extreme moderation only.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 12th August 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

As it's looking for perfection I might question the flat afternoon light, those houses could be shown to better advantage later or earlier in the day.

As to the question about removing things, well it's your call - if I was selling as stock I'd leave as is.

But the aeriels etc do not strike me as that anachronistic, I'd need quite a lot of convincing to make me believe that those houses were even a hundred years old, (though the 3'rd along 'might be' older)

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 13th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
As it's looking for perfection I might question the flat afternoon light, those houses could be shown to better advantage later or earlier in the day.

As to the question about removing things, well it's your call - if I was selling as stock I'd leave as is.

But the aeriels etc do not strike me as that anachronistic, I'd need quite a lot of convincing to make me believe that those houses were even a hundred years old, (though the 3'rd along 'might be' older)

Nick
Hi Nick,

The row of cottages on the left are all Grade II listed 18th Century. Just around the corner to the left, out of site, is a 16th Century cottage but the oldest house I have been able to find is situated about a hundred yards behind the position from which Paul took this picture, an early 13th Century Royal Manor House which was extended and modernised in the 16th and 17th centuries.

You are right about the lighting and you can blame me for planning the day - harsh summer sunlight just past midday rarely shows anything at it best, although these days a certain amount of improvement can be made via shadows control in pp. However, I think the aspect of improvement in which Paul is specifically interested is with regard to whether or not to remove the aeriels, an interesting dilemma.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th August 2012

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

With or without the aerials it's still a good shot.
Old 15th August 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I agree, its just a great shot. I would probably lose the aerials
Old 15th August 2012

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
I wonder if the "double standard" comes from where the work is? A painter would have to do work to include the modern features, a photographer to remove them.

dJE
Old 15th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis View Post
I wonder if the "double standard" comes from where the work is? A painter would have to do work to include the modern features, a photographer to remove them.

dJE
I've noticed that painters often include unsightly modern features, presumably to give their work a feel of realism.

Old 15th August 2012

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Where abouts is it?

Jim
Old 15th August 2012

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

I reckon it depends what you want to do with it. For a fairly straight presentation as you have shown here, I think it is "cheating" to remove modern paraphernalia. If it's transient stuff like a dog or a car in the wrong place then editing is fair enough, but not for fixtures like aerials. On the other hand if you are going to stylise it, say to give it an old-fashioned look, then any manipulation is fair game.

Ciao ... John
Old 15th August 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

If this was a Record shot - I would leave as is.

If I was making it sepia and old - I would take out the modern elements

If I was making it a colour wash pastel chalks "painting" I would take out the modern elements
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 15th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Where abouts is it?

Jim
It's at Clavering, in Essex.