Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 24th June 2012

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Genuine Dilemma

I have an E5 plus 12-60mm zoom that functions most of the time as a complete system, although I have a P1 almost always the E5 gets picked up in preference and the P1 is really confined to the "stick it in the pocket and go for a walk" occasions. I really do not think that I will be tempted to go fully to mFt until (A)They bring out a remote IR shutter release (B) They match that lens in the mFT range and (C) The mFT gets a fully articulated screen version.

Of course I am very lucky in that, even though I slipped a disc last year that kept me chair bound for several months, I have now fully recovered and do not have locomotion difficulties.

Roger
Old 24th June 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Genuine Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I've mentioned the OM-D on a wildlife forum, it's been sneered at because the focus locks initially when shooting high frame rates. It seems that this presents a problem with fast moving wildlife ie birds in flight. If Olympus can sort that it would be a big plus I would think.

Jim
I rarely, if ever, listen to any type of sneer about my kit, as I can still out shoot most of them by going fully manual and use old school follow focus techniques. Of course a phase detect AF system or the speed equivalent implementation on the SWD lenses would seal the deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
I have an E5 plus 12-60mm zoom that functions most of the time as a complete system, although I have a P1 almost always the E5 gets picked up in preference and the P1 is really confined to the "stick it in the pocket and go for a walk" occasions. I really do not think that I will be tempted to go fully to mFt until (A)They bring out a remote IR shutter release (B) They match that lens in the mFT range and (C) The mFT gets a fully articulated screen version.

Of course I am very lucky in that, even though I slipped a disc last year that kept me chair bound for several months, I have now fully recovered and do not have locomotion difficulties.

Roger
Like you my 14-35 is virtually fixed to the E-3, but is being left at home more and more as my MFT system has become my "walkabout" kit.

As for an IR Remote, I have a PiXeL Pawn Wireless Flash Trigger, that will also act as a remote control (including Bulb and Time Delay triggering)

Jon makes a good point (as ever) and the residual value of these superb lenses could well drop considerably. However that could be of great advantage to anyone wanting a 90-250 etc...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th June 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I've mentioned the OM-D on a wildlife forum, it's been sneered at because the focus locks initially when shooting high frame rates. It seems that this presents a problem with fast moving wildlife ie birds in flight.
But isn't 4fps fast enough?
You still get full CAF at the low AF speed and that tops out at 4fps.
If I can photograph race cars on track with the E-M5 they ought to be able to shoot BiF.

Besides, whatever happened to skill and pressing the shutter at the right moment?
Old 25th June 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Keep Calm and Carry On!

Seriously, as you say it's a personal decision. I think we have to accept that the writing is not only on the wall for Four Thirds, but well and truely all over the floor and ceiling too! But when the day comes that the plug is finally pulled, it won't suddenly render all the camera bodies and lenses unusable. My old E-500 is still going strong in the hands of my daughter, she absolutely loves it and realizes that she is lucky to have such a camera at her age.

The question is, could you be satisfied with the E-5 as the pinnacle of the Four Thirds System, knowing that it will last for years and be replacable second hand quite cheaply for years after that, but will never be improved upon?

Before answering that question, you should also perhaphs consider that it is highly likely that at some point in the (hopefully not to distant) future, Olympus will introduce technology into Micro Four Thirds bodies that fully resolves the focusing issues of using Four Thirds glass. Suddenly, keeping all those yummy HQ and SHQ lenses might seem like a great decision, with only a new body to fund (and maybe one or two MFT primes).

I would also like to move fully to MFT, but for rather different reasons than you, I suspect. If I was still fully fit and healthy I would quite happily go the E-5 route, on the basis that I love the design, form, function and handling of my E-3. Recently, on my Tollesbury recce, I absolutely loved using it again, but it came at a price. Although I didn't walk very far and I coped at the time I was concious of the weight, including a substantial tripod, and the next day I felt physically drained. It also aggrevated one of my delicate knees and I'm still hobbling in discomfort days later. So for me, if I could afford it, the full transition to MFT would be a no-brainer. My ideal kit would be the E-M5, Panny 12-35mm (subject to confirmation of performance), Panny 7-14mm, Olympus 45mm and Olympus 40-150mm, plus an adaptor to use my Sigma 105mm macro (I focus that manually anyway). I hasten to add that I wouldn't carry all those lenses at the same time and would probably keep my existing Panny 14-45mm to use as a light weight walk-about with the E-M5.

If I was in your shoes I think I would continue with my existing kit until Olympus resolves the FT lens focusing issue but, as I say, that's really only something that you can decide.
Well said John...I think that Olympus is here to stay and that in the not to distant future the m4/3rds is going to flourish into as I said once before about the OM D5.....is the E5 on steroids.........
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
No more dSLR for me now - made the move to m43 completely and don't regret it.

One other thought to throw in.... It pains me to say this but I can't see there being much demand for four thirds dSLR kit in the future (I know that not everyone will agree with me here) and it may be worth getting out while you can still sell secondhand for decent prices. I already know of some dealers who won't take four thirds cameras and lenses as trade ins any more, as they can't sell them.

At a time when Canon and Nikon are about to launch full frame bodies within spitting distance of the cost of the E-5, I think the idea of a continued line of professional level Four Thirds bodies is increasingly far-fetched.
What kit do you have before you sold up Jon ?

I am also thinking of moving to m4/3 from a full fat Canon DSLR setup
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

Spy - for quite a few years I had mostly Pentax kit but also Olympus E-1. The former because the prime lenses are excellent (and some of them glorious), the latter because the zooms are amongst the best for any digital system. The OM-D provides the weather-sealing that I previously got from E-1 and K-7 in a small body that provides better image quality than either of them - and it is so much more compact that one doesn't need to think twice before taking it out for a spin.
Old 12th July 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Genuine Dilemma

Things are getting worse for me, I've just got the 4/3rds 35mm Macro and it's proving to be an absolute delight to use. I've even been using it on the E-PL1 producing 1:1 macro shots that are simply excellent.

I can see myself keeping both systems and simply accepting that I have the best of both worlds...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...