Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 28th November 2007
OwainB

OM adapters

Does anyone have any experience of the cheapy OM to 4/3 adapters you can get on eBay? Is there any real difference between them and the "official" Olympus MF-1? (apart from a factor of about 20 in the price!)

It seems that if I can fit OM lenses to my E-410, I can get all sorts of second-hand glassware on eBay at a fraction of the price of new 4/3 lenses. Obviously there's no AF, but it's a small price to pay. Literally!
Old 28th November 2007
Xpres

Re: OM adapters

The cheapy ones work but aren't the same quality - some good some bad. MF-1 can be had on ebay relatively cheaply. Just seen one go for 27.
Old 28th November 2007
Magnumaniac

See eBay item 140184598622 - I use one of these on my E-510, from this seller.

Not the cheapest available, but it is well made, a UK seller, and allows focus to infinity as described, although the adapter may be a few microns too thin as the infinity focus point does not exactly coincide with the lens focus ring end stop. That is certainly better than the adaptor being too thick as that would prevent focus to infinity altogether.

One of the nice things about the four thirds format is that it is suitable to adapt to many different legacy lens types. A cheap M42 adaptor from Ebay opens up a huge range of possibilities involving a lot of European glassware.

Ian.
Old 29th November 2007
OwainB

Thanks for that. I hadn't even considered the realms of M42.

Any idea how much these adapters would affect the closest focusing point? I'm specifically thinking of macro lenses.

Owain
Old 8th January 2008
OlyFlyer

I bought a cheap P/K to 4/3 adapter from a guy called muchmall and I am very happy with it. The quality is very high as far as I can see. I have no reference as to how spread the quality is, since I only have one adapter from this guy, but if I intend to buy another, I will not hesitate to buy it from him. I paid the same day I bought it, he posted the day after and the adapter was in my hands just a few days later. Very quick handling, which is also a plus.

I also have the original MF-1, which I see as really overpriced, considering it is just a dumb ring.
Old 8th January 2008

Liked 160 Times in 109 Posts

Hello all, I bought camera partner one a while ago. It does work fine, but I'd suggest a tiny drop of loctite on the 3 screws holding the two halves together. I nearly had a couple of disasters with the 300mm Tokina F2.8

I also bought one from Fotodiox in America. They advertise on US ebay and also have a normal e-shop. Have a search for 320202806318, seems better quality and thier service is superb. Provided you only order one at a time it even falls outside the customs & VAT charges.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 8th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwainB View Post
Does anyone have any experience of the cheapy OM to 4/3 adapters you can get on eBay? Is there any real difference between them and the "official" Olympus MF-1? (apart from a factor of about 20 in the price!)

It seems that if I can fit OM lenses to my E-410, I can get all sorts of second-hand glassware on eBay at a fraction of the price of new 4/3 lenses. Obviously there's no AF, but it's a small price to pay. Literally!
I have 2 ebay ones both very good quality. Infinity focus is retained with OM-4/3. I use it for macro. I also have a set of ebay extension tubes, they are fine also.
Old 8th January 2008
BigD

i have one ebay one, currently watching 2 lenses now , if buy il get another.