Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 23rd January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone Using Panasonic Lenses on a Pen?

I seriously considering switching to m4/3rds as my primary system, I ruled out the Pen versions and was thinking about either the Panasonic G1 or G2 however I'd prefer to remain with Olympus as I really like the Super Control Panel on the E-System cameras, especially the E-420.

I like the look of the new E-PL2, but always said I wouldn't buy a camera that didn't have an eye level VF which is why I'd decided to look more closely at the G1 and G2. That said a few things I've read are causing me to reconsider, I like Olympus colour and as I generally shoot jpeg these days (I dislike spending time on PP) it seems I may be disappointed by Panasonic jpeg results as they look very washed out in the reviews I've seen.

If I have to compromise I'd probably prefer to forego a built in EVF (but use a clip on EVF) in favour of better colour reproduction when shooting jpeg. If I did decide on an E-PL2 the next issue is lens availability, Olympus have a limited range compared to Panasonic in the focal lengths/speed I need/prefer, I realise that the point of m4/3rds like 4/3rds before it is cross manufacturer compatability, in theory I should lose nothing by using Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body but theory and practice are rarely the same so.....

Any opinions or advice, would you sacrifice the benefits of a G2 for the jpeg colour and SCP of an E-PL2, is there any reason not to use Panasonic lenses, have I missed something that would cause problems and just how does the Olympus clip on EVF compare to Panasonic's built in EVF?

One final thing for the time being, I read on DP Review that the SCP is awkward to access via the menu system, once enabled is it then as easily accessible as the SCP on my E-420?
Old 23rd January 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Anyone Using Panasonic Lenses on a Pen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
Any opinions or advice, would you sacrifice the benefits of a G2 for the jpeg colour and SCP of an E-PL2, is there any reason not to use Panasonic lenses, have I missed something that would cause problems and just how does the Olympus clip on EVF compare to Panasonic's built in EVF?

One final thing for the time being, I read on DP Review that the SCP is awkward to access via the menu system, once enabled is it then as easily accessible as the SCP on my E-420?
Can't comment on a direct comparison between the vf-2 and the Panasonic built in evf - but the vf-2 is a very good viewfinder, works well.

The SCP is made available by altering one setting in the control settings, once that is done it is called up by a one button push, very easy.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 23rd January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, good to know that the SCP is easily accessible once set up, it works very well if you're wearing gloves.

Do you notice the height of the VF-2 in use, I had a turret finder for a Kiev 4 but it felt slightly strange as it sat well above the centerline of the lens?
Old 23rd January 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Not in use. But in the pocket, yes. In fact, it can tilt so you can use it by looking down on the camera, which can be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
Do you notice the height of the VF-2 in use, I had a turret finder for a Kiev 4 but it felt slightly strange as it sat well above the centerline of the lens?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah it's a compromise for sure but sometimes compromise is required, for looking down I'd actually prefer the flip out LCD on the G1/2. I think I'd have to carry an E-PL2 with the EVF dismounted to be honest and fit it when I needed it, I guess for grab shots the LCD screen would do.

In the end it's a less than ideal set-up but Olympus seem a bit unsure of where they're heading with both 4/3rds and m4/3rds, whether it's too much of a drain on R&D or whether they don't have the resources is anyones guess but at present 4/3rds has hit a wall and m4/3rds seems unable to get out of 1st gear.