Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What should I do?

I've not been on here long, but thought this is the best place to ask for some advice.

I've not had my E-510 very long, but am already thinking of upgrading. Basically although I love the camera I cant help but think I would be better served upgrading to the E-620.

I know the 4/3 system is not the best at low light performance, but I am finding that noise-wise the 510 does struggle somewhat.

I bought the E-510 as the price was right and it felt good in my hand - I was drawn to 4/3rds because of the double focal length and thought this would come in quite handy for wildlife photography - and with the quality of even the kit lenses I figured this would be a more economical route than going for Canikon.

I'm reading that the E-620 has the same sensor/processor as the E-30 (which is out of my budget) and depending on the web site the performance at higher iso (eg 1600) is a lot better that the E-510.

Also I'm liking the fact that the E-620 also has face recognition (which my S100fs also has and I find that very useful)

What do you guys think??

Should I take the plunge and invest more of my hard earned in the E-620?

Should I just stick with the E-510?

Should I wait until September when (apparently) new models will be announced? (Although I suspect these will be the 'high end' DSLR's it may well cause an increase in 2nd hand E-30's etc at a price I can afford.)

Do I ditch 4/3rds now and move to Canikon before its too late? (ie Olympus announce they're not continuing with 4/3rds and effectivley reduce the ability for me to upgrade in the furture or sell off my kit for a decent price)

Or do I sit tight and see what happens?

Questions, questions!

Regards

Neil
Old 19th June 2010
Radar

Re: What should I do?

The best advice I can give is to keep your body, invest in better lenses instead. I find I get less noise using 50-200 and 12-60 (Anyone know why? Just Lens quality?) than with 14-42 and 40-150.

When it comes to noise control there is a recent treat that this is being discussed. Here : http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=Noise and here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=Noise You might find some hints there.

I was also diappointed with the noise in the beginning but now I've managed to control noise and I find the camera fantastic!
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go for the E-620! I recently changed my E-3 for a E-620 (for weight reasons) & am loving it, its a fantastic camera & you will find that its a lot better than the E-510 (which is very dated now). If you want to ask any specific questions about the E-620 just shout
Old 19th June 2010
Radar

.....AND get some good glass???
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
.....AND get some good glass???
Yeah!.............................why not?
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

lol thanks for the replies........if I won the lottery perhaps (I dont think the missus would be too happy if I loaded my credit card)

From what James and Radar have said my choices would be EITHER.......

Upgrade to E-620 body (keeping my kit lenses and 70-300mm)
Or
The slightly more expensive option - getting the 50-200mm SWD lens and keeping the E-510 (bearing in mind the lens would have to be 2nd hand - I cant afford the 800+ to get one brand new!!)

Decisions, decisions
Old 19th June 2010
Radar

With the 510 you will not benefit very much from SWD so if you find a second hand of the old type I think that'll be OK. Seen them on eBay for 400-500. Bought my 50-200SWD on fourthirds-user.com for 535. A bargain!
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

I have both E510 and E620. Both nice cameras, but the E620 is nicer and more modern feeling, has a twist and tilt screen plus it does clever tricks in Live view with SWD lenses (etc etc)

However: IMHO there is very little to choose image quality between the two, and if you are not careful with your setup, the E620 can actually seem slightly noisier than the E510. I was expecting it to be a quantumn step up (image wise) from the E510, but it wasn't...

EDIT

Aha. I knew I had an example shot. Here we have the two camera compared last November not long after I got the E620. These would have both started as raw files. Both at the same position, lighting, approximately the same exposure* and same lens, both at ISO200. E620 at the top, very slightly noisier, and also slightly darker, so it would look worse when lifted slightly.

*I decided that the ISO sensitivity of the E620 was optimistic, so from then on I have applied a global +1/2 stop exposure so I hopefully never lift the shadows. In general I tend to lower the "exposure" in ACR when processing the raw file. This produces the cleanest images for me, while avoiding too much highlight clipping.

Hope this helps

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for that snaarman

All in all do you think the 620 is a better option over the 510?

I'm hoping to keep it for a good long while (honest!) and no doubt in the future will invest in some faster glass such as the 50-200. Would the 620 take advantage of the SWD? As the 510 wouldnt.

What made you decide to go for the 620, given that you already had the 510??

Neil
Old 19th June 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

If you're finding you get good results from your E-510, stick with it. It's still a good camera, just lacking in some of the useful bits that evolution has put on subsequent models.

The "kit" lenses aren't as bad as a lot of people make out, although the 50-200 is stellar if you need that sort of focal length regularly.

If you shoot raw and process in Lightroom 3, noise, in my opinion, is no longer an issue.

However, the E-620 is a super camera to handle but be aware that if you have spare batteries for your E-510, they won't fit the E-620.

Oh, and yes, the E-620 does take advantage of SWD!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I find I get less noise using 50-200 and 12-60 (Anyone know why? Just Lens quality?) than with 14-42 and 40-150.
Well there is a signal to noise ratio in lenses just as much as there is in the electronics of the sensor, it just tends to be expressed differently.

Better lenses tend to give more contrasty images, more contrast is in part due to less light being scatterred to the wrong places, so the blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter and everything in between follows along.

This has the effect of improving exposure, better exposure both decreases noise (as we've discussed earlier) and leads to less enhancement (contrast/levels/curves) in pp. And pushing the picture in pp is a great way of seeing more noise.

Of course top quality glass wont make a stellar performer out of a low quality camera (and I'm not saying the 510 is low quality), but it all helps.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

If you can find one, you could also consider the e-600 which is basically the e-620 with just a few of the features removed. Also then the 70-300 which is an excellent lens for the money as I'm sure many here will agree!
HTH
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
Also then the 70-300 which is an excellent lens for the money as I'm sure many here will agree!
HTH
Neil already has this lens, I know because I sold him mine
Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and a mighty fine lens it is too!

Old 19th June 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill_6mm View Post
Thanks for that snaarman

All in all do you think the 620 is a better option over the 510?

I'm hoping to keep it for a good long while (honest!) and no doubt in the future will invest in some faster glass such as the 50-200. Would the 620 take advantage of the SWD? As the 510 wouldnt.

What made you decide to go for the 620, given that you already had the 510??

Neil
I try to keep 2 cameras so I have a back up if I ever get a pressure photoshoot. (This sounds like a professional talking, but it isn't..)

So, I changed from (E400 + E510) to (E510 + what??) Well the E3 was much too big and expensive, and the E30 was also too big and expensive. The E620 was getting rave reviews and close comparisons to the E30, and Olympus were running the free grip and battery offer.. So the rest is history.

To tell the truth I was expecting all the small improvements (tilt screen, 12Mp not 10Mp) and all the hype to deliver galactic images... Its a tribute to the E510 that I find the E620 to be just mildly better image wise. However, as I have said before... if you have the E510, don't pick up and try the E620. Its like an old friend with a make over and improvements in all departments. All the menus and the screen and the general programmability are just that bit nicer. The tilt screen comes into its own now and then. I don't have any SWD lenses, but I can say the camera is even better with a SWD lens and live view in operation... So: I mostly use the E510 at work for basic equipment pictures these days. The creative stuff is all done with the E620.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.