Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer

Re: Bellows or lens reversal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriek View Post
I just picked up a 20mm/3.5 OM bellows lens + the mount, will let you know how it goes!!
Why couldn't that be me? I envy you for that lens, but honestly wish you luck with it. One day, it will be my turn...

Right now, I must post my camera to Oly to get a good wet clean or whatever else needed to get it fixed. As you can see on my ballpoint pen images, there is something there (more than a few 'something') which not supposed to be there. I sent a few images to Oly Sweden and the rep said he never seen anything like that and asked for the camera. So, come Monday, and off it goes to Stockholm, then probably to Portugal if he is not giving me a new camera instead. Yes, I know, fat chance to that, so it is probably a Portugal two weeks holiday for my camera. I am lucky my camera is still under warranty, even if only for a few more months.
Old 24th January 2008
lauriek

Had a quick play with the bellows lens last night - things certainly get more tricky as magnification goes up! In my gallery there's a picture of a little spider, taken with my setup using a reversed 50/1.8. The same spider taken with the 20/3.5 is significantly larger than the frame...

Incidentally I've rethought your comments about magnification, and you are of course absolutely correct; The magnification does not change. The 'apparent' magnification is double due to the crop factor, but as magnification is the ratio of the size of the subject to the size ON SENSOR this makes no difference...

Incidentally hard luck on the camera. If you were in the UK and I had a spare body I would offer to send it over, unfortunately I have one E1 body and I have a feeling you're not in the UK!! At least it's under warranty!
Old 24th January 2008
OlyFlyer

It's great that you have fun with your new lens. I understand you get more out of a 20 mm bellows lens than a 50 mm normal, not only IQ wise, but also magnification wise. That is one reason why I mostly use a 35 mm lens and no longer have an OM 50 mm. The 35 mm gives me much more magnification as well. But, the drawback is the DOF and the focusing is even more difficult to handle.

I was wondering where in the UK do you find all those spiders now? No spiders here in Sweden now. I realized, you must have saved the same spider somehow. I did some similar thing once, kept the same bug for a while, but they dry out and becomes dead looking after a while.

Thanks for feeling sorry for me and for offering me a spare camera you don't have. Sounds funy, isn't it? Well anyway, don't worry, at least during the service, while my camera is in Portugal I will have some time to finish off some projects I have, update my blog and maybe do some cleaning of HD space as well. Not to mention the backlog on developing my images. So, maybe just as well that I live in Sweden and you only have one E-1 body.

Cheers and have fun.
Old 2nd February 2008
lauriek

I find it best to keep them in the fridge once dead, to keep them in reasonable condition for longer. As you say they can dry out quite quickly - spiders quicker than insects generally...

Good luck with the repairs!!
Old 3rd February 2008
OlyFlyer

If I'd put dead spiders and flies in my fridge my wife would kill me...
Old 3rd February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
If I'd put dead spiders and flies in my fridge my wife would kill me...
Well at least they will not walk/fly arround contaminating food

PeterD