Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 29th December 2018

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts
Re: Street Photography are there any exceptions

Some of the great documentary photographers, including war photographers, have deliberately taken images of people who are in distress, and sometimes these are done with great sensitivity and skill and have a profound socially responsible purpose and good effect; e,g, in raising awareness, influencing policy, helping to raise funds for disasters or even being part of the process of bringing about an end to a particular war.
Old 29th December 2018

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
It seems not much of the latter is being applied in this thread

It has gone from the OP original question regarding an accident or disaster you happen to come across to ... towing a stuck camper van off soft ground to atrocities in the Vietnam War. None are really relevant to the original post.

Still, I guess it eases the boredom at this time of year and provides a worthwhile link to Shenstone's very interesting website.

Darkroom
There's a lot of common sense and morality on this thread. Despite the title which has nothing to do with Street Photography, the totally valid question is about ethics, selfishness or otherwise, and outcomes. And you know what they say about people who are bored?

David
shotokan101 (29th December 2018)
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Re definition of Street Photography - I interpret it as being unrehearsed pictures taken in open air with people in often unflattering positions and not aware that they are being photographed.
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts

Re: Street Photography, I found this on a Flickr Group posted by Alveraz Ricardez. It sums up my own feeling about restrictive labels.

I just wanted to add, photographers, like many artists, set parameters upon their craft in order to take ownership of whatever particular genre they're attempt to understand. However in the end, it creates limitations that cause confusion and constraint. Though I agree in regards to street being candid, I also propose that deciding what is, or is not street, is a personal decision and an intuitive one. We know it when we see it, and that's all that should be said when it comes to distinctions. I think we hurt the craft with questioning what it is, or is not street. I think these "rules" are set by insecure photographers who need to control their craft. Instead, we should be opening more avenues for people to enjoy the limitlessness of the process. The more we push the boundaries of what street is, the more we inspire. The more we set rules and distinctions, the more we segregate ourselves from the potential street has to offer. Just a thought. Happy shooting.

David
shotokan101 (30th December 2018)
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 161 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Re definition of Street Photography - I interpret it as being unrehearsed pictures taken in open air with people in often unflattering positions and not aware that they are being photographed.

You failed to include photographing disasters and accidents as posed by your original question.

Darkroom
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

by definition they are already included according to the Ricardez comment above.
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The exceptions for many street photographers are kids and the homeless. That's about it.

on flickr
Old 31st December 2018
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Still, I guess it eases the boredom at this time of year and provides a worthwhile link to Shenstone's very interesting website.

Darkroom
Clearly me including that link has offended so I have removed it - I'm never here to intend to offend all that anyone ever needs to do is drop me a PM to ask me to remove something and I will

However I do think that the original question as posted "if you come across a disaster / accident do you photograph the event and people involved or do you just walk away" was covered in that posting - it was an accident which I helped resolve and took pictures of

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (31st December 2018), shotokan101 (31st December 2018)
Old 31st December 2018

Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Clearly me including that link has offended so I have removed it - I'm never here to intend to offend all that anyone ever needs to do is drop me a PM to ask me to remove something and I will

However I do think that the original question as posted "if you come across a disaster / accident do you photograph the event and people involved or do you just walk away" was covered in that posting - it was an accident which I helped resolve and took pictures of

regards
Andy
Please PM me the link

Thanks

Jim