Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd November 2018

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts
Is this a conspiracy?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...iracy-theories

Quote:
In the UK, people who supported Brexit are considerably more likely to give credence to conspiracy theories than those who opposed it, with 71% of leave voters believing at least one theory compared with 49% of remain voters.
Quote:
Almost half (47%) of leave voters believe the government has deliberately concealed the truth about how many immigrants live in the UK, versus 14% of remain voters. A striking 31% of leave voters believe that Muslim immigration is part of a wider plot to make Muslims the majority in Britain, a conspiracy theory that originated in French far-right circles that is known as the “great replacement”. The comparable figure for remain voters is 6%.
Just sayin...
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (23rd November 2018), drmarkf (23rd November 2018), RobEW (30th November 2018), Zuiko (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Re: Is this a conspiracy?

True.......................
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 107 Times in 70 Posts

Having seen Rees-Mogg and co I am now open to the alien integration in our society theory
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Are the authors suggesting that Leave voters are more gullible than Remainers?

I cannot believe 'the authorities' would have an interest in Muslims becoming the majority in the UK, but Muslims themselves may well have an interest in doing so. Indeed, some have even spoken of a 'bloodless takeover' in Europe. If there is any conspiracy I suspect it would be a case of some local councils turning a blind eye rather than central government actively promoting inward migration; just as some local councils chose to turn a blind eye to sexual abuse by certain groups for fear of creating racial tensions.

With regard to uncontrolled immigration during the Blair era; I thought it was generally accepted that the government of the day had no way of knowing how many Eastern Europeans had come into the UK, how many stayed or how many had left. Is this not the case?

There have been many illogical and unexplained events over the years including the death of Dianna, Princess of Wales, and conspiracy theories often provide convenient but inaccurate explanations in the absence of known facts.

I hear there are now conspiracy theories circulating about the wildfires in California but I have no idea where the evidence comes from.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (23rd November 2018)
Jax (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Are the authors suggesting that Leave voters are more gullible than Remainers?
I don't think it's a case of being gullible. I think it's a case that some believe that the "establishment" is hiding secret plans to pursue a hidden agenda, usually to the detriment of the common man. This sort of thinking inevitably leads to negative opinions of any source of authority, with the most negative opinions reserved for those who are most different or remote to us. In a nutshell, the conspiracy mindset is perfect for the Brexit mindset.

Quote:
I cannot believe 'the authorities' would have an interest in Muslims becoming the majority in the UK, but Muslims themselves may well have an interest in doing so. Indeed, some have even spoken of a 'bloodless takeover' in Europe. If there is any conspiracy I suspect it would be a case of some local councils turning a blind eye rather than central government actively promoting inward migration; just as some local councils chose to turn a blind eye to sexual abuse by certain groups for fear of creating racial tensions.
I'm suspicious of the motives of all religious organisations since they possess that most dangerous of ideas - faith.

Quote:
With regard to uncontrolled immigration during the Blair era; I thought it was generally accepted that the government of the day had no way of knowing how many Eastern Europeans had come into the UK, how many stayed or how many had left. Is this not the case?
Probably. I was never a fan of TB - a man of faith in more ways than one.

Quote:
There have been many illogical and unexplained events over the years including the death of Dianna, Princess of Wales, and conspiracy theories often provide convenient but inaccurate explanations in the absence of known facts.

I hear there are now conspiracy theories circulating about the wildfires in California but I have no idea where the evidence comes from.
I think that Diana's death is pretty obvious isn't it - a drunk/drugged driver driving at crazy speeds in a crowded city whilst trying to outrun intrusive journalists. Her injuries were fatal because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt (one person survived the crash - the only one wearing a seatbelt). What more is there to it?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Bengeo (23rd November 2018), Jim Ford (23rd November 2018), RobEW (30th November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts

Fake news, disinformation or political spin / geek-speak began to take off big-time in the late 80's early 90's. It's been building up slowly over the years and has been helped by the many on-line platforms to push the various global agenda's.
When politicians, heads of states and or countries jumped on the bandwagon, the rest as they say, is history. One of the newest incumbents, has now forcibly pushed it to a new, and in my opinion, a frightening level of disinformation. So much so, that it becomes nigh on impossible to know what is right, and what is s$%&e?

Gradual integration is one thing, mass integration is a whole new ball-game. Safety in numbers springs to mind where large groups are formed and social change is enforced by the new arrivals to take place. It isn't helped, - when a way of life - appears to be threatened by these new arrivals who apparently want to live by their own culture and rules of law. With so much anti-social behaviour now becoming the social norm, it's difficult for the ordinary man or woman in the street to not be conditioned to believe where the problem lies and, who is to blame?

Certain country's have recently said enough is enough and taken steps to reduce or even stop this mass exodus and are being castigated by others for doing so. For the many, dependant on food banks or living in run-down high rental accommodation or on the streets... their reality is so much different, a picture from life's other side which has been ignored for too long.

As Mulder would say: 'The truth is out there...' We just have to determine between what is right and what is s&%$e?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Jax (23rd November 2018)
Jax (23rd November 2018), Naughty Nigel (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I think that Diana's death is pretty obvious isn't it - a drunk/drugged driver driving at crazy speeds in a crowded city whilst trying to outrun intrusive journalists. Her injuries were fatal because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt (one person survived the crash - the only one wearing a seatbelt). What more is there to it?
On face value the cause of the accident was blindingly obvious, which is probably how it was meant to be; but there remain many unexplained factors such the mixed up blood samples and unexplained high levels of CO in the driver's blood. And why was a professional driver drinking whilst on duty in the first place? Maybe the paparazzi were just a convenient scapegoat?

There was also the reported bright flash in the tunnel which has never been explained.

Just saying......

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Fake news, disinformation or political spin / geek-speak began to take off big-time in the late 80's early 90's.
The Fake News industry really took off around 1997 if I recall, helped no end by the rapidly increasing popularity of the internet amongst the masses.

Apart from the newly discovered magic money trees and inexhaustible gold reserves there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq ...................

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
On face value the cause of the accident was blindingly obvious, which is probably how it was meant to be; but there remain many unexplained factors such the mixed up blood samples and unexplained high levels of CO in the driver's blood. And why was a professional driver drinking whilst on duty in the first place? Maybe the paparazzi were just a convenient scapegoat?

There was also the reported bright flash in the tunnel which has never been explained.

Just saying......
Conspiracy theories always seem to focus on tiny details that might indicate some massive cover up. Just read any of those on 9/11. Mostly the details are just misinterpretations or sometimes just plain wrong. Diana's driver for instance may have been a "professional driver" in the sense of being paid for it, but the Fayeds didn't do any serious due diligence of his competence or background before employing him. He wasn't a formally trained police or armed forces driver.

In any case, any conspiracy would have to account for the fact that the accident need not have been fatal if the occupants had worn seat belts, or for that matter had there been any other minor changes to a multitude of other factors - road surface, speed, time, other traffic, etc etc. It was a road traffic accident, just like thousands that happen on world's roads everyday. It's only gained notoriety because of the high profile of its victims. If you had wanted Diana dead (a ludicrous idea anyhow) then there would have been much more predictable ways to have done it.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Jim Ford (23rd November 2018), RobEW (30th November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

We have a frightening number of people who don’t think critically. They’re more likely to be angry, and that makes them more likely to vote. As far as I’m concerned, until voting is mandatory the system is rigged by default and wide open to dangerous populist movements.

At the same time, we shouldn’t merely dismiss the angry people.... Anger has a cause and consequences. In my line of business I read last week that Indian outsourcing giant, Tata Consultancy Services, is being taken to court in the US. Apparently, some ninety percent of the staff at their large US offices are in the US on visas. Fake news or real? Doesn’t matter; it will make people angry either way. I predict a second term for Trump*.

* The really scary thing about Trump? He might actually be right about some things, and now gets to solve the problems he sees in his own way....
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:

Just saying......
Meh! Phil The Greek had her rubbed out.
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 649 Times in 438 Posts

Quote:

It has to be rake manufacturers, it can only be them.
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
It has to be rake manufacturers, it can only be them.
#rake America great again
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Bikie John (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 649 Times in 438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
#rake America great again
Or Make America Rake Again!

There were some wonderful comments from Finnish people posted on the interwebs. I wonder if Trump has any idea how much people take the pi55 out of him??
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
We have a frightening number of people who don’t think critically. They’re more likely to be angry, and that makes them more likely to vote. As far as I’m concerned, until voting is mandatory the system is rigged by default and wide open to dangerous populist movements.

At the same time, we shouldn’t merely dismiss the angry people.... Anger has a cause and consequences. In my line of business I read last week that Indian outsourcing giant, Tata Consultancy Services, is being taken to court in the US. Apparently, some ninety percent of the staff at their large US offices are in the US on visas. Fake news or real? Doesn’t matter; it will make people angry either way. I predict a second term for Trump*.

* The really scary thing about Trump? He might actually be right about some things, and now gets to solve the problems he sees in his own way....
We do work with a very large US retailer and they have outsourced the vast majority of their IT to Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). Whilst some of what TCS do for them is off-site, a lot is done on-site and the vast majority of the workers are from India on temporary visas. The poor sods get worked to the bone because they are hoping to stay long enough to qualify for a green card. Any slacking and they are back on the plane to India.

TCS have recently taken over the IT for several UK retailers too, including M&S. They do have a very successful business model - but it's based on low cost through low pay.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Internaut (24th November 2018)