Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 21st July 2017

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Focus Peaking

Having come from a Sony A6000 and Fuji X-T1 which both have excellent focus peaking I find the E-M10 underwhelming. Possibly I am using it wrong. Does it only work in manual mode for instance ? On The Fuji and Sony it worked all the time if turned on and was very useful in AF mode.

It seems a bit weak on the Oly and difficult to see or realise its actually there. I've got it set to "on" and "white"

Any advice appreciated
Old 24th July 2017

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts
Re: Focus Peaking

I have it turned on and white too.
I mainly use S-AF[MF] when it works when you touch the focus ring, zooming in on the focus area.
I agree it's not super useful for a whole scene but is when you're looking for something as sharp as possible in the focus point area.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
topgazza (24th July 2017)
Old 24th July 2017

It's just a little underwhelming. Only real problem I can point out compared to a Sony or Fuji... so not too bad. Good tip on the S-AF(Mf) I had mine just on S-AF
Old 24th July 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgazza View Post
Having come from a Sony A6000 and Fuji X-T1 which both have excellent focus peaking I find the E-M10 underwhelming. Possibly I am using it wrong. Does it only work in manual mode for instance ? On The Fuji and Sony it worked all the time if turned on and was very useful in AF mode.

It seems a bit weak on the Oly and difficult to see or realise its actually there. I've got it set to "on" and "white"

Any advice appreciated
According to the manual focus peaking is specifically provided as an aid to manual focusing and will work in both MF and AF+MF modes.. I don't use it much but find using red works better for me. In the Peaking Settings menu "cogs D" you can set Highlight Intensity to High which will give a more vivid display. Also set Image Brightness Adjust to OFF.

I am a little confused as to how focus peaking could be useful when using contrast detect auto focussing, can you explain please.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (25th July 2017)
Old 24th July 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
According to the manual focus peaking is specifically provided as an aid to manual focusing. I don't use it much but find using red works better for me.

I am a little confused as to how focus peaking could be useful when using contrast detect auto focussing, can you explain please.

Regards.
The bolded type is exactly how I see focus peaking & why would you want it for anything else? I find the OP's criticism 'underwhelmingly' strange.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 25th July 2017

It depends what you are used to. For instance on a Sony and from memory (and thats probably the issue here...memory) the Fuji the focus peaking is much bolder and the focus area keeps the focus square, or squares, green until the shutter is pressed so you always know you are in focus. Whereas on the Oly the focus square blips once then disappears. Its just a case of getting used to a different system.

Even taking that into account the manual focus peaking on the E-M10 is still, for me, a bit "underwhelming" and weak in it's execution. It's not a perfect camera guys..... for everyone

It's damn good though and I'll keep practising
The Following User Says Thank You to topgazza For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (25th July 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (25th July 2017), shotokan101 (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

Just realised the camera was on spot metering. Put it on ESP and I get the focus peaking across the whole screen. Much better. I would still like the focus square and other focus points to remain on the screen until the shutter is pressed but thats probably as much to do with what I have been used to than anything else
The Following User Says Thank You to topgazza For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Glad you've sorted that.

What setting have you used for "Highlight Intensity"? I set mine to High and the colour to Red and to me that was overwhelming.

I think that the Highlight Intensity setting is effectively a sensitivity adjustment.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the green box flash. In reality once focus is achieved and locked it isn't going to change as long as you maintain the "half press", just as you say what you are used to.

I did a bit of research on the web and found a You Tube video by a guy who with a Sony was using the Focus Peaking display in AF mode to show him depth of focus. Of course the DOF with 4/3rds sensors is greater than with larger sensor sizes. This is usually quoted by the larger sensor "fan boys" as a shortcoming of 4/3rds but in this instance it is an advantage as we don't have to worry about adequate DOF so much for most scenarios. We do have to work a little harder if we want shallow DOF but it's not the problem it's sometimes made out to be.
Keep enjoying your camera.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
shotokan101 (25th July 2017), topgazza (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

I agree, it's a case of getting used to a different system without "RTM" but I'm getting there
PeterBirder (25th July 2017), Ross the fiddler (25th July 2017), shotokan101 (25th July 2017)