Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th July 2015

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,282 Times in 1,083 Posts
Re: New Brighton Sunset

Last one for me Ralph but I'd still crop that down to a landscape orientation.
How about this?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (10th July 2015)
Old 11th July 2015

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

It still hasn't got Reeces! I remember in the latye 40s going there with my mum and her sister and being treated to an ice cream etc.Where has the front gone! I remeber seeing a famous photo taken there in the early 60s showing kids on the beach etc.
Old 11th July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi again!

Here is another photo taken at the same time (well maybe 5 minutes earlier) with hopefully better focus and taken in portrait.

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Cheers,

Ralph.
That's a lot better image Ralph, IMHO, whether cropped to landscape or not. How about a compromise - square?
Old 12th July 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Keith!

I might well give a square crop a try, it's not a shape I try too often in case I start to make instagrams!

What is still puzzling me is the OOF sea in the first picture though - I've put the figures into DOFmaster, and it reckons that if I've focussed on the wind turbines 4k away in the bay, it should give acceptable focus down to 67m, which is approximately the distance to the people in the picture (who were slightly OOF when you zoom right in). However, given that the sea is between these points, and the shutter speed is more than fast enough to exclude motion blur even without the IS (and it was on), what can have caused the blurring in the sea? If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 12th July 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

What shutter speed did you use, and did you use a tripod (you can see my train of thought regarding image stabilisation)?
What f number was it taken at? (I can't see EXIF for either shot) and did you trust AF, or choose good old school MF?

on flickr
Old 12th July 2015

Quote:
Hi there Keith!

I might well give a square crop a try, it's not a shape I try too often in case I start to make instagrams!

What is still puzzling me is the OOF sea in the first picture though - I've put the figures into DOFmaster, and it reckons that if I've focussed on the wind turbines 4k away in the bay, it should give acceptable focus down to 67m, which is approximately the distance to the people in the picture (who were slightly OOF when you zoom right in). However, given that the sea is between these points, and the shutter speed is more than fast enough to exclude motion blur even without the IS (and it was on), what can have caused the blurring in the sea? If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Cheers,

Ralph.
I wonder if you've actually focused on infinity (i.e. the horizon) rather than where you think you focused? I don't trust contrast AF to do the job properly; it's fooled me before now! Did you set the square to the small size, for instance? I've found that if you don't, the camera often finds something other than what you want to focus on - yet looks as if it did what you wanted.

My Lumix TZ6 is a swine for doing that! But I've had it with the M5 too.

Another possibility is that the waves were rippling or moving faster than you realised.
Old 12th July 2015

Hi there Steve / Keith!

Working from memory, the f-stop was f7.1, the shutter speed was something in the region of 1/1250th IS was on hand held. I think that in this case I used small AF point on one of the wind turbines before recomposing and waiting for the people to take the last few steps into alignment. However, I had considered the possibilty of the focus actually being at infinity, however that would have made the closest point of "acceptable focus" only a meter or two further away (4000m and infinity look pretty similar to a 17mm x 13mm sensor!)

I'm just really stumped as to why the sea looks out of focus when elements in front and behind look sharper. I was wondering if it is micro-reflections between the front of the lens and the back of the grad filter (they are pretty cheap grad filters of the flat plate variety) causing it to look out of focus - with shooting directly into the sun might this have the effect of spreading out the high-lights slightly?

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 12th July 2015

Quote:
Hi there Steve / Keith!

Working from memory, the f-stop was f7.1, the shutter speed was something in the region of 1/1250th IS was on hand held. I think that in this case I used small AF point on one of the wind turbines before recomposing and waiting for the people to take the last few steps into alignment. However, I had considered the possibilty of the focus actually being at infinity, however that would have made the closest point of "acceptable focus" only a meter or two further away (4000m and infinity look pretty similar to a 17mm x 13mm sensor!)

I'm just really stumped as to why the sea looks out of focus when elements in front and behind look sharper. I was wondering if it is micro-reflections between the front of the lens and the back of the grad filter (they are pretty cheap grad filters of the flat plate variety) causing it to look out of focus - with shooting directly into the sun might this have the effect of spreading out the high-lights slightly?

Cheers,

Ralph.
Could be - also could be diffraction. A cheap grad filter may not be good from that point of view. Colour could come into that equation too! (i.e. of the light v the filter)

Another point - a cheap grad filter may be slightly granular perspex.
Old 12th July 2015

Hi there Keith!

Thanks for your reply. I'm still left wondering though why it occurred so badly on the first image, whilst the second didn't seem anywhere near as badly affected, as both were shot with the same filter fitted within a minute or two of each other. On the second I wasn't pointed directly at the sun though, so the flare I removed was too the left of the image.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 12th July 2015

Thanked 1,504 Times in 1,455 Posts
Liked 4,179 Times in 1,895 Posts

Your original posting works just fine for me, Ralph. The centred composition is pleasing and conveys the idea of two sources of renewable energy, Solar and Wind.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
Ralph Harwood (12th July 2015)
Old 12th July 2015

Hi there Mark!

Thanks for your comments. That was pretty much what I was hoping when I took the shot, but I found that I didn't really like the composition afterwards - something I couldn't put my finger on just jarred slightly. I'm glad you liked it though!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 13th July 2015

Quote:
Hi there Keith!

Thanks for your reply. I'm still left wondering though why it occurred so badly on the first image, whilst the second didn't seem anywhere near as badly affected, as both were shot with the same filter fitted within a minute or two of each other. On the second I wasn't pointed directly at the sun though, so the flare I removed was too the left of the image.

Cheers,

Ralph.
I was trying to explain it to myself after I answered your last post. If your filter is coated (and cheap ones are coated rather than dyed) there could have been internal reflection within the coating at some wavelengths of light. Given the colour of the light, that MIGHT explain it - especially with the sun's presence in the frame. Other than that, I can't explain it.
Old 13th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I was trying to explain it to myself after I answered your last post. If your filter is coated (and cheap ones are coated rather than dyed) there could have been internal reflection within the coating at some wavelengths of light. Given the colour of the light, that MIGHT explain it - especially with the sun's presence in the frame. Other than that, I can't explain it.
Hi there Keith!

That makes a lot of sense as it is only the brighter parts of the photo affected, with some bleeding around the highlights and the sun. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 13th July 2015

Liked 2,700 Times in 932 Posts

The second shot is better as the first does not seem to be in focus.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 13th July 2015

Thanks Alf! The question is whether you think the whole of the image is oof in the first one, or just the sea? The consensus so far is it's just the sea, which has been confusing us considerably!

Cheers,

Ralph.