Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 29th November 2009

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
help with lens

I'm new to the board, and new to Digital SLR's. I have the std lenses that came with the camera, but as we live in the bush and I bought a Zuirko ED 70-300mm as the 150 was just a bit short.
Well here is my question, do you have to tell the camera what the lens is. I've onlyt started to play with the menu's and I noticed their was a place for the lens data. When I use the lens out to 300, I find it only goes as far as 150, which is the highest mm of the other lens, or am I doing something wrong.
Roberta
Old 29th November 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: help with lens

Hi Roberta, and welcome!
To answer your question, no you don't have to tell the camera what the lens is AS LONG AS it's an Olympus ZD lens or a Sigma 4/3 mount lens. The menu you see is for when you are using non-four-thirds lenses on your camera with an adapter. In these case the camera has no way of knowing what lens is mounted so you have to tell it for the benefit of Image Stabilisation. All "designed for" four-thirds lenses have a chip in them which communicates full information to the body.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 29th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I'm new to the board, and new to Digital SLR's. I have the std lenses that came with the camera, but as we live in the bush and I bought a Zuirko ED 70-300mm as the 150 was just a bit short.
Well here is my question, do you have to tell the camera what the lens is. I've onlyt started to play with the menu's and I noticed their was a place for the lens data. When I use the lens out to 300, I find it only goes as far as 150, which is the highest mm of the other lens, or am I doing something wrong.
Roberta
Hi Roberta

As Stephen says, no you don't have to tell your camera what lens you are using. You have the ZD 70-300mm, which will communicate with the camera for all its operations i.e. aperture, focal length, auto focus (as long as you have set it to 'Auto' on the lens itself) etc.

Make sure you have the IS turned on, probably IS1 is best for bird shooting. I've taken loads of bird shots with this excellent lens - which is quite probably the most understated of all the Oly lenses.

Welcome to e-group by the way.

Old 29th November 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Roberta,
Welcome to the forum. Re your query on the 70-300mm on full extension of the lens. If you are referring to the markings on the lens barrel then I had the same thoughts and raised this with Olympus. The markings on the barrel it turns out refer to the settings when used in macro mode on your camera. They don't refer to standard use. Check the exif detail on any shots taken at full extension and I think you'll find these show it operating at 300mm.
Jamie
Old 3rd December 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was wondering about the 70-300mm lens not extending all the way out too. So really pleased to find the answer here. Thought I'd bought a dud. Once again thanks to all, even if it was written 5 years ago. Cheers