Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 23rd March 2008
Vokesie

Lens Advice

I am looking to get the following 3 lenses when money allows and would love to hear peoples comments if they have used them, and especially used them in the photography fields that i will be using them in

Music Photography
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Sports Photography (cricket @ Football)
Sigma 135-400 f4.6-5.6

Thanks

Dave
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Lens Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokesie View Post
I am looking to get the following 3 lenses when money allows and would love to hear peoples comments if they have used them, and especially used them in the photography fields that i will be using them in

Music Photography
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Sports Photography (cricket @ Football)
Sigma 135-400 f4.6-5.6

Thanks

Dave
I don't have any knowledge of the Sigma lenses but i do have the EC14 and EC 20, they both worked fine with my old 50-200 and early tests with the new SWD and E3 are promising. I hope to cover a rugby National Div 3 game this weekend with the new combination and i intend to post some images on the forum Sunday. Have you thought about upgrading your 50-200, i just paid 639 for mine. The old model sells for 375-425 ish on e-bay.

David
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Lens Advice

I've got the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 macro lens and am quite pleased with it. It's my standard lens although a little on the heavy side. Having just brought the Sigma 30mm f1.4 as my first digital prime lems, it has reminded me that all zooms are less sharp etc (including the 7 to 14mm f4 Olympus!). This really is a cracker of a lens with the ability to autofocus in really dull room light very quickly (on a E510).

Overall the 18 to 50mm f2.8 is quite good and has given me sharp photos that do not appear to fall off at the edges. I'd rate it 7/10, with the Olympus 7 to 14mm f4 at 9/10 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4 10/10.

Hope this gives you some help!

Ian
Old 24th March 2008
Vokesie

thanks ian,

I also have the f/1.4 sigma lens which is great for my music photography, I also have a olympus 14-54 which is fine at the fully open end but struggles a bit when zommed in which is why I am looking for the f/2.8 through out the zoom.

my wife has just aloowed me to go shopping tomorrow with 800 pound so I will be getting the 18-50 and probably the 135-400 for the cricket and other sports

off to see my favorite retailers in west london tomorrow see if I can get it any cheeper

Dave
Old 24th March 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you looked at the 12-60mm Olympus lens. Yes, its slower and not cheap, but I am very happy that I purchased it.
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've just posted some comments on the sigma 135-400 on this thread

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1345

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 24th March 2008
Vokesie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.baker View Post
Have you looked at the 12-60mm Olympus lens. Yes, its slower and not cheap, but I am very happy that I purchased it.
I have no need for it i have a 14-54 which covers that zoom range, plus my best mate has it so I will borrow it off him to tryout, I think that it would struggle when zommed in with my low light music photography.

I am looking for a lens for football rugby but mostly for cricket and wildlife in the summer, thats why I thought of the 135-400 f/4.5-5.6

i did consider getting the EC-20 but this would low down my already slowish 50-200 plus it would make it a f/5.6-7 (i think) which my make it struggle even on slightly over cast days

but I an yet to be convinced I know I will deffinatly get the 18-50 f/2.8 but not sure on the 135-400 yet

nick thanks for the link I have had a look, do you think it would be ok for such sports as cricket football etc,

if so I am looking forward to the summer already, village cricket with a nice cold pint, plus a visit or two at the oval
Old 25th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokesie View Post

but I an yet to be convinced I know I will deffinatly get the 18-50 f/2.8 but not sure on the 135-400 yet

nick thanks for the link I have had a look, do you think it would be ok for such sports as cricket football etc,
I don't know how the E-510 handles higher iso 800+ and you will need to be in this range to get reasonably fast images in anything other than bright conditions. Your E-3 should be OK.

I'm not a 'sports' photographer so I really don't feel qualified to make a recommendation - sorry.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th March 2008
B.P.S Studios

I work as a freelance Photographer for my local press doing sports. You won't do much better than the Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8 for this purpose its a cracker!