Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 28th February 2018

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Display of image in monitor.

I have had this issue with my MkII since I bought it when it was released. I have set it to display a just taken shot in the monitor screen for 5 seconds. This works fine and dandy whilst holding the camera away from my mushm but the image does not display if I have taken the shot through the EVF. I have to then press replay to get it to show. I can get it to display if I set the time to auto, but then I have to press another button to carry on shooting.

Have I another setting to adjust?
Old 28th February 2018

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Display of image in monitor.

Turn the feature off, it just slows up everything. Suppose you want several shots of something - it stops you seeing what is happening.
Old 4th March 2018

Thanks but I don't tend to use my camera in those situations. It would help me greatly to just check on the exposure I have just taken without having to press the replay button.
Old 4th March 2018

Thanked 1,234 Times in 924 Posts
Liked 5,898 Times in 1,911 Posts

I like to see the shot preview too and have set the review time to 2s. It displays both on the rear screen and the EVF, no problems. I don't think there is a setting to set preview in different ways between the two. Very odd.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th March 2018

Yes, my problem is that when I take the camera away from my eye, the shot does not appear in the monitor. This is at odds with every other camera I have owned.
Old 5th March 2018

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
Yes, my problem is that when I take the camera away from my eye, the shot does not appear in the monitor. This is at odds with every other camera I have owned.
If you take the photo using the EVF, the result is displayed on the EVF.
If you take the photo using the screen, the result is displayed on the screen.

You want to take the photo using the EVF but see the result on the screen, so you are far better off turning off this review feature, and simply pressing the button to see the result. I think this is what 99% of users do.

No matter what sort of photography you do, the time will come when you want to take a second photo soon after the first one. This feature prevents that, so why not turn it off.
Old 5th March 2018

Ah - I understand now. You want to take a shot using the EVF but for the photo review to appear on the rear screen. I'm afraid the camera does not support what you are trying to do.

The shot review feature will display the last taken shot on the same viewfinder as you used to take the shot. So, if you take the shot with the EVF, then the review will be in the EVF (and of course you must keep your eye to the EVF). Of you take it with the rear screen then it will appear on the rear screen.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (5th March 2018)
Old 5th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Ah - I understand now. You want to take a shot using the EVF but for the photo review to appear on the rear screen. I'm afraid the camera does not support what you are trying to do.

The shot review feature will display the last taken shot on the same viewfinder as you used to take the shot. So, if you take the shot with the EVF, then the review will be in the EVF (and of course you must keep your eye to the EVF). Of you take it with the rear screen then it will appear on the rear screen.
Precisely. Seems a real ommission in the firmware.
Old 5th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
Precisely. Seems a real ommission in the firmware.
Well, I guess they could perhaps add it as an option. Personally the way it works now is fine for me.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 6th March 2018

Liked 826 Times in 531 Posts

Clockwork Donkey - I wonder were you used to a DSLR before you got your E-M1? If so I guess you would be used to taking your eye away from the optical VF to review the image on the screen. I was used to doing that with my E-620 but when I got my E-M5 mk1 I soon got used to reviewing in the EVF, and now I'd never go back to a conventional DSLR.
Old 9th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Clockwork Donkey - I wonder were you used to a DSLR before you got your E-M1? If so I guess you would be used to taking your eye away from the optical VF to review the image on the screen. I was used to doing that with my E-620 but when I got my E-M5 mk1 I soon got used to reviewing in the EVF, and now I'd never go back to a conventional DSLR.
Spot on! Before seeing the lightI used a succession of Canon DSLRs. Old habits die hard.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (10th March 2018)