Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 8th October 2018

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,136 Posts
Liked 1,679 Times in 839 Posts
Using the P mode?

I was pointed to this article by someone on FB and found it much more interesting than I thought I would. Will definitely give it a try away from my usual Aperture priority mode. I'd be very interested in what others thought.
http://naturalexposures.com/photography-program-mode/
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
AMc (8th October 2018)
Old 8th October 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,381 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Using the P mode?

I’ve used it very successfully for mixed light exposure where the Ps controls the background and +/- flash is used to get exposure on a foreground subject.

It can be easy to get confused if Auto ISO is also turned on, as then three things are adjusting simultaneously

Recently I have been very lazy and using iAuto for a lot of “general” photography.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 115 Times in 74 Posts

I aim to turn the dial to P before switching the camera 'off'. This ensures that I get a reasonable result, if I pick the camera up for a 'grab shot' without having time to think!

Because of the live view in my Olympus finder, I find that the exposure compensation dial is the one I go to first, if things don't look quite right. I choose other modes once I have settled into a particular 'photo session' with a known type of subject.
Perhaps this is why Ken Rockwell refers to P as Professional mode. He wrote "I always shoot in Professional exposure mode, the "P." Professional mode was originally called "Program" back in the 1970s. While in Professional mode, if I need different shutter speeds or apertures, all I do is flick the rear dial and I get them."
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Unless I have a specific requirement for any particular aperture or shutter speed P is my default mode for general use. It's so easy to adjust aperture or shutter speed when needed while you're in this setting.
The Following User Liked This Post:
danellis (11th October 2018)
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 265 Times in 142 Posts

I shoot in P almost all the time. As the article says, you can just turn the dial for faster shutter or smaller aperture but you're seldom in a situation where you won't have a usable exposure setting because you're changing settings.

To control things a little I set a maximum ISO or the E-M10ii can ramp up the ISO very fast when I would prefer a slower shutter.

I just did a test to see what the difference behaviour was for the exposure comp vs the rear dial. The rear dial seems to move in steps for shutter and aperture. Exp comp seems to increment one then the other, so there's big shifts on the rear and smaller steps on the front.
You learn something everyday

I used to worry this was somehow cheating but took a little comfort from Martin Parr who's work I enjoy though I don't attempt to emulate.

https://www.photocrowd.com/blog/171-...t-martin-parr/

Quote:
'I use Programme Mode all the time,' Parr said in 2017. 'If I'm shooting at night, I might go into [shutter priority] because I like the idea of what a slow shutter speed can do when using flash. But most of the time I'm just on Programme. Manual snobs really get up my nose because most of the time they've got to spend ages thinking about the aperture. I mean, why not take advantage of modern technology? Programme pretty much gets it right every time.'

The original source...
Old 9th October 2018

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,136 Posts
Liked 1,679 Times in 839 Posts

Amusing video thanks for posting. Not sure why but I do like his video style. Only for occasional watching though.
Well if it's good enough for Martin I guess I'd better get out and give it a go
Actually the sun's shining too
AMc (9th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 265 Times in 142 Posts

I like Kai but he is perhaps an acquired taste? He used to be lots of fun when he and Lok did Digital Rev TV but they've both moved on. They used to shoot spots in Hong Kong and Norwich and Cambridge which was quite a contrast.
In general I find Kai at least engages me when he's reviewing stuff, there are so many YouTube photography channels where they just drone on through the feature sheet.

Martin Parr has photos in an exhibition at the Maritime Museum at Greenwhich. We were there recently but too close to closing time to be worth the entry.

He also just published a set of images from the Frieze Art fair through Magnum that I enjoyed looking at.
https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-cu...r-london-2018/
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 1,131 Times in 741 Posts

Would the 'P' Mode help me with my benign enlarged prostate?

Jim
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 308 Times in 211 Posts

Only if you used it in conjunction with one of those long Laowa (?) macro lenses......
Jim Ford (9th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts

I have never taken a single photo in "P" mode - ever on any of my 10 digital cameras.

The most useless setting on a camera in my opinion.

Steve
MJ224 (10th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I have never taken a single photo in "P" mode - ever on any of my 10 digital cameras.

The most useless setting on a camera in my opinion.

Steve

Far from it. P allows you to adjust any of the settings it suggests. Green box auto which doesn't let you change anything is useless!
percy (10th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,321 Posts
Liked 3,992 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Only if you used it in conjunction with one of those long Laowa (?) macro lenses......
No, in this case you need one of those coffee mugs designed to look like a Canon lens.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
danellis (11th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 725 Times in 213 Posts

I reprogrammed the P setting to Myset 1 on both my E-M5 mkII and my E-M1 but I do use semi-auto A and S settings a lot.

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 10th October 2018

Liked 1,044 Times in 586 Posts

Parr's excellent - President of Magnum and a great supporter of young photographers. I heard him speak at that Sony awards: he'd received the Lifetime Award or some such.

Very entertaining and droll presentation with lots of images, then he invited questions at the end. Some nerdy type put his hand up: "Can you talk about the equipment you use and the camera settings?".

"Sure" said MP "I stick it on 'P' and just blast away. It's about telling stories, you know".

Right on, baby.

(MP is appearing everywhere these days: he's the acceptable face of street photography for people who don't like street photography, and I suspect we might now have reached Peak Parr)

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (10th October 2018), Zuiko (10th October 2018)
Old 1 Week Ago
Codger

Liked 96 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Parr's excellent - President of Magnum and a great supporter of young photographers. I heard him speak at that Sony awards: he'd received the Lifetime Award or some such.

Very entertaining and droll presentation with lots of images, then he invited questions at the end. Some nerdy type put his hand up: "Can you talk about the equipment you use and the camera settings?".

"Sure" said MP "I stick it on 'P' and just blast away. It's about telling stories, you know".

Right on, baby.

(MP is appearing everywhere these days: he's the acceptable face of street photography for people who don't like street photography, and I suspect we might now have reached Peak Parr)
He has established The Martin Parr Foundation just down the road from me in Bristol: https://www.martinparrfoundation.org/

It aims to support and encourage British and Irish contemporary photographers. He funded it from the sale of part of his collection of books and images made over many years. Most of the rest is in the library there. A membership scheme has been started (as of yesterday) and I've joined to support what he is doing. One of the good guys.

I will be down there tomorrow to look at the current exhibition, In Your Face https://www.martinparrfoundation.org.../in-your-face/ Not sure it will be my taste but we'll see...

By the way, he has done many of the BBC1 "idents" - https://www.martinparr.com/bbc-one-idents/

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright