Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,733 Times in 1,304 Posts
Re: Sad, if true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Ignoring all the camera talk, those Filton shots look great Tim. Definitely a museum to add to my list .
+1 Be a good meet for us all......

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 462 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I have one of the Fuji rangefinder style cameras (X-Pro2) it has both ovf and evf
Very nice camera, bit bigger than the Pen, but still nice to use
The smaller ones such as the X-E2 which I have also owned are equally nice, not quite as solid feeling though.
If they had ibis I would never have switched to m4/3 for much of my photography using fast primes.

A very decent alternative which hasn't been mentioned is the Panasonic GX range.
The GX9 is turning into one of my all time favourite cameras, does everything I want.
Bit better evf would be nice, but its fine for framing purposes and can't think of anything I really don't like.

Good bit cheaper than the Pen, same sensor and even has a little pop up flash.
Use mine most of the time and can't see me changing unless it fails
or a GX10 came out (might that if it had improvements I would use)
Fujifilm is a consideration but I think I'd miss IBIS. The GX9 is certainly nice, but I'm not a huge fan of Panasonic JPEGs. My thinking, going forward, was to have one OMD and one premium Pen. It seems Olympus have pulled the rug... Of course, my E-M5 and E-P5 remain hugely capable if a little behind the curve. I might look for a second hand Pen F - not a common think given the abundance of happy owners.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Fujifilm is a consideration but I think I'd miss IBIS. The GX9 is certainly nice, but I'm not a huge fan of Panasonic JPEGs. My thinking, going forward, was to have one OMD and one premium Pen. It seems Olympus have pulled the rug... Of course, my E-M5 and E-P5 remain hugely capable if a little behind the curve. I might look for a second hand Pen F - not a common think given the abundance of happy owners.
Panasonic jpegs are good now, they made that a priority in the very latest cameras. Colours are very natural and accurate, also have a new b&w setting which comes out well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Despite its supposed discontinuation (I don't think we have seen an actual official Olympus announcement stating this; rather just some hearsay at this point) I still want one as for me I can't see any other features that I would want in an other M43 camera at the moment in a similar style/form factor. Yes, some of Panasonic's features are interesting such as the Post Focus functionality, etc. but that is limited to JPG only I believe (same as their Focus Bracketing implementation?).

Plus even though Panasonic have introduced a L monochrome / L monochrome D profiles, I still believe that they lack the creativity that the Pen-F offers.

It's also unclear at present whether the Pen-F will be given future firmware updates where it maybe possible to add new features that make it onto the E-M5 mark ii, etc.
MF Lenses: Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7 | 135mm f3.2 | Helios 58mm 44-6

My Flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 579 Times in 203 Posts

Have to admit to being smitten by the jewell that is the Pen-F.
I was so disapointed to find the defect in the 'leather' wrap, but it has gone back today, hopefully for a replacement.
In the short time I've had it it has become my 'go-to' camera, the E-M1 mkll/12-100 has not been out of it's bag, it's such a great big heavy unwieldy lump compared to the Pen-F/17/12-32/60/40-150(cheapy)mm.
My intention was to have the F for decoration but I think I may have to make a decision on the future of the E-M1 mkll/12-100.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,164 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Have to admit to being smitten by the jewell that is the Pen-F.
I was so disapointed to find the defect in the 'leather' wrap, but it has gone back today, hopefully for a replacement.
In the short time I've had it it has become my 'go-to' camera, the E-M1 mkll/12-100 has not been out of it's bag, it's such a great big heavy unwieldy lump compared to the Pen-F/17/12-32/60/40-150(cheapy)mm.
My intention was to have the F for decoration but I think I may have to make a decision on the future of the E-M1 mkll/12-100.
I do hope one of the releases expected this year turns out to be a high quality, properly small camera: a tilt or flip screen plus 'decent' CAF would do nicely, thanks.

Weather sealing and 20Mp (or more) would be nice, but not deal-killers for me, and I'm not bothered about an EVF (so Paul's idea would be fine).

I love the M1ii+12-100 (or the 17 Pro) and find it mostly excellent in handling, but I agree it's big and heavy enough to turn a casual trip in to a photographic excursion.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.