Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 The second generation smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 19th April 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Silent Shutter Qu

Possibly my first post and seems to be the first on the M10 Mk 2 forum (perhaps it should share the mk1 forum?).

Love the camera but am slightly confused as to how the two shutters work. Is one mechanical and the silent one electronic? Is there any reason not to use the silent one all the time? Pro's cons of each?

Re the anti shock - should this be set to zero (as you can gather I'm not sure how this works either!)?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 19th April 2016

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: Silent Shutter Qu

G'day Steve. It's good to see you on here & as one of them from downunder I'll say I hope you enjoy the forum here.

The Electronic or Silent Shutter has it's limitations with shutter speed & ISO range & is only useful in static situations & not of moving subjects because of the resulting distorted image. It will also tend to go to very slow shutter speeds before upping the ISO too (in say Aperture Priority etc).

Here's a couple of threads on the subject for some light reading. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...silent+shutter
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...silent+shutter

I hope that helps.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th April 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

Hi Steve. Here are few pointers for you:

- The two shutter options are quite different. The mechanical shutter uses a real metal shutter in front of the sensor. Up to a certain shutter speed (about 1/300th sec IIRC) it works by opening and closing the shutter in its entirety for the required time. At speeds faster than 1/300, it opens a slit which moves down the sensor in greater than 1/300sec, but each section of the sensor is exposed only for the set exposure time. It moves pretty quickly though, so even in the slit mode, you're effectively starting and ending the exposure over the whole sensor at more-or-less the same time. The point here is that if there is subject movement over the time of the exposure then it'll result in blur, but not geometric distortion of the image - the so-called Jello effect. Example include vehicles leaning backwards or forwards.

-The electronic shutter leaves the mechanical shutter open at all times (it's open for viewing of course since it's a mirrorless camera). It works by starting and stopping the exposure on each pixel for the chosen exposure time, but since it works a row at a time reading the data and there are lots of rows, it takes much longer than the mechanical shutter to read the entire sensor area - about 1/20s I think. This means that even if you've chosen a shutter speed of 1/16000 sec and each pixel has received that exposure, the time difference between pixels on the top and pixels on the bottom is 1/20 sec. Subject movement in that time will result in different parts of the subject appearing in different places in the sensor resulting in geometric distortion - leaning vehicles etc. This is one downside of the e-shutter, but TBH, I use it a lot and it's rare that it causes a big issue. The other problem with e-shutters is that they will show banding when shooting in artificial light driven by AC sources - typically fluorescent or LED lights. You'll see horizontal bands down the image. It's usually not an issue with tungsten lighting and of course not an issue outdoors. I think also that the e-shutter introduces some reduction in the sensor's DR.

- So why have both? - well, the mechanical shutter minimises distortions and shows no banding, but it can induce vibrations that can cause slight sensor movement and lack of sharpness ("shutter shock"). The effect is usually only in the 1/80 to 1/250 sec range and can be small and it varies with the lens fitted, how the camera's held etc, but if you're critical and unlucky it can be problemmatic. The electronic shutter solves the vibration issue and so long as you're not shooting in flickering artificial light or have moving objects then it's a good solution. You'll often have higher max shutter speeds too - e.g. 1/16000 or 1/32000 sec.

- On the E-M10ii (different on the mark 1, E-P5 and E-M1), the "anti-shock" setting uses an Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) that startes the exposure electronically but stops it with the mechanical shutter. The chosen delay is introduced between the shutter press and the start of the exposure. It can be set for value of "0s" and upwards. The 0s setting is a bit of a misnomer since it actually introduces a very small delay - about 20ms; just enough to allow the shutter shock to die down. This means that any vibration caused by the first curtain opening can damp down before the exposure starts. This gives the best of both worlds. The longer settings are useful to avoid shake caused by the photographer causing movement when pressing the shutter.

Personally, this is my approach:

- I use mechanical shutter most of the time (because I like the "clunk"), but I have 0s anti-shock permanently enables.

- I use electronic shutter when I'm needing absolute silence or when absolute lack of vibration is paramount and there aren't issue with subject movement or the artificial lighting.

Hope that helps!!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (20th April 2016), Ross the fiddler (19th April 2016)
Old 19th April 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Many thanks. Brilliant answers and very clear. The learning curve still has a long way to go but at least I understand the shutters now.

Thanks again - appreciated.

Steve

Tags
silent shutter anti shock