Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th September 2017

Liked 1,241 Times in 849 Posts
Re: Cromer

By way of an update: New BBC Report

Once again it seems that the police are unwilling to admit publicly that the group of travellers were a problem, and thought that they were moving on [to Walsingham for a pilgrimage].

The latter proposition seems highly unlikely to me.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th September 2017

Liked 1,004 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dorn View Post
I think you Trumped there, Nigel. There is no evidence that Petronius wrote that quote.
George, Nigel
I remember a similar quote being attributed to Tacitus! Something along the lines of "When things were deemed to be bad, the army had a reshuffle of officers; and then things got worse, so another reshuffle was thought necessary. And it got even worse, so yet another reshuffle was the obvious answer. But it never did get better, only worse or stayed the same."

I always find it both fascinating and somewhat heartening when I read texts from millennia ago that show that man hasn't learned anything whatsoever in the meantime, however cleverer he appears to be. (or she, of course. Must be PC, must I not?)
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
By way of an update: New BBC Report

Once again it seems that the police are unwilling to admit publicly that the group of travellers were a problem, and thought that they were moving on [to Walsingham for a pilgrimage].

The latter proposition seems highly unlikely to me.
I watched the local news twice last night, at 7 o'clock and again at 2230, since the meeting with Cromer residents was going on for a long time. It said at 2230 that the residents left the meeting appearing to be reassured. H'mmm. What was that flying past the window....? Everyone who says anything in public now seems to have to be a politician. So we get mealy-mouthed answers to straight questions; and trust in authorities continues to diminish.

I made the point to a friend last night that if we now don't have enough police to feel confident to tackle rampaging travelers, then logically there is only one solution if the situation is not to get out of hand: the police should be armed. Thing is, you can't have it both ways; either you have enough police numbers, or you have to increase the lethal force available to each police person. If the police can't cope, ultimately, people will take matters into their own hands (like Tony Martin did!) Is that what the authorities want? Surely not.

I see that after Grenfell the London fire service highlighted shortage of equipment necessary to fight such a fire. There were rapidly weasel words from politicians about dealing with it all. Now, it seems, the equipment won't be made available unless it can be paid out of local council funds. And we don't need to be geniuses to know what that means.

It's about time all the politician- and PC-speak in this country was abandoned in favor of some straight talking. We could do with taking a leaf out of the Icelanders' book! Recently I saw an article by one of their organizations where they referred to gays as "queers" - as we used to do a half century ago. Nothing like calling a spade a b---- shovel, eh? You sure know where you stand with them!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017

Liked 680 Times in 453 Posts

This is absolutely appalling!

I've said before, that if the police are unable or unwilling to protect the public, then the public should be allowed to protect themselves!

All the police appear to be able to do, it to allow these things to happen, and then wring their hands afterwards!

Jim
Old 7th September 2017

Indeed. There were twenty six recorded arrest able offences; most related to groups of travelers going into shops and bars, ordering food/drink, and then refusing to pay for it, some with threats; other offences included a rape. The police at the time described the incident as 'low level'. It cost businesses in Cromer tens of thousands of pounds, in both thefts and lost business. The Chief Constable last night admitted the police were wrong to call it 'low level' crime. So far? 3 arrests, if i remember correctly.

Cromer will recover in general terms; but will holiday makers who were affected return? Would you?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (7th September 2017), Naughty Nigel (7th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Indeed. There were twenty six recorded arrest able offences; most related to groups of travelers going into shops and bars, ordering food/drink, and then refusing to pay for it, some with threats; other offences included a rape. The police at the time described the incident as 'low level'. It cost businesses in Cromer tens of thousands of pounds, in both thefts and lost business. The Chief Constable last night admitted the police were wrong to call it 'low level' crime. So far? 3 arrests, if i remember correctly.

Cromer will recover in general terms; but will holiday makers who were affected return? Would you?
If a rape was committed it cannot be classed as a low level crime. In addition to the immediate terror and any physical injuries, the victim could potentially suffer severe psychological problems for the rest of their life.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
It's about time all the politician- and PC-speak in this country was abandoned in favor of some straight talking. We could do with taking a leaf out of the Icelanders' book!

Recently I saw an article by one of their organizations where they referred to gays as "queers" - as we used to do a half century ago. Nothing like calling a spade a b---- shovel, eh?
I tend to agree with you there Keith.

I would never want to offend anyone unintentionally, but I have gay friends who openly refer to themselves and other gay people as 'queens' and 'queers' and many other terms that I won't repeat here. Indeed, all seem to have a very good sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously.

(Likewise the best gay and Irish jokes come from gay and Irish people respectively.)

The problems seem to be caused by the liberal elite who rush to be offended on other peoples' behalf at every possible opportunity, and seek to rewrite the English language.

I accept that racial prejudice, homophobia and suchlike are continuing issues, but we cannot change unacceptable attitudes simply by banning certain unsavoury words from the vocabulary.

And if certain groups habitually behave unacceptably should we really be banned from discussing their behaviour and identifying them?

Perhaps if we banned words and terms such as CO2, Nitrous Oxides, Brexit and global warming from the vocabulary they would all magically disappear too?

In the meantime perhaps I should move to Iceland.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
iso (8th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
The Chief Constable last night admitted the police were wrong to call it 'low level' crime. So far? 3 arrests, if i remember correctly.
Those arrested will be summoned to appear in court at a later date, and in the meantime disappear to another site and be concealed by their mates.

Quote:
Actually, my wife and I were considering camping soon in the vicinity of Cromer. This incident has changed our minds!

Jim
Old 7th September 2017

Liked 123 Times in 64 Posts

There is a special place in Hell for anyone who uses 'queer' in order to use it with the old 20th century connotations. However, the Gay community have rehabilitated the word somwhat; not taking offence at it's use deliberately to undermine casual homophobia.

Why risk causing offence if you are aware of the possibility? Most decent people wouldn't use the N-word any more than they would tell a fundamentalist Christian that they have the same Imaginary friend as the fundamentalist Muslim over there.. it's unnecessarily disrespectful.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Dorn For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (8th September 2017)
Zuiko (8th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017

I don't really like that the word 'gay' has been hijacked by homosexuals. Doing so has impoverished the English language, albeit in a small way. It's original meaning can't be used without sniggers or raised eyebrows.

eg. Edward Lear's children's poem "The Quangle Wangle" contains the line "Life on the whole is far from gay." Try explaining that to children!

I also knew someone who's surname was "Gay". I guess he and his family have changed it now.

Jim
iso (8th September 2017), KeithL (8th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017

That is sad.

Personally, I wouldn't need to obacerate should any of Mr Gay's namelings announce themselves any more than I miss 'obacerate' or 'namelings'.

Except, perhaps, 'nameling'

Language will always evolve and the changes will always be lamented by some. I seem to remember explaining the different uses of "gay" to my daughter without any ensuing giggles. Millenials, heh?
Naughty Nigel (8th September 2017), Zuiko (8th September 2017)
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

I also knew someone who's surname was "Gay".
Jim

Oddly enough so did I, and they named their bungalow "Gay Goblins".

They are long gone now and didn't have any children, but I bet the house name has been changed!

There is (or was) also a term used by dog breeders known as "Gay Tail". This was used to describe dogs whose tails were always high up in the air, rather than in an 'S' shape as they should be.

This applied to German Shepherds and Rough Collies that I know of, but may also apply to other breeds.

I also agree with you Jim that the hijacking of certain commonly used words, such as 'Gay' has impoverished our vocabulary.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
KeithL (8th September 2017)
Old 8th September 2017

As Cnut found, resistance is futile.
KeithL (8th September 2017)
Old 8th September 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dorn View Post
That is sad.

Personally, I wouldn't need to obacerate should any of Mr Gay's namelings announce themselves any more than I miss 'obacerate' or 'namelings'.

Except, perhaps, 'nameling'

Language will always evolve and the changes will always be lamented by some. I seem to remember explaining the different uses of "gay" to my daughter without any ensuing giggles. Millenials, heh?
A brilliant response!

For anyone wondering why the homosexual and lesbian community hijacked the word "gay," it is in fact an acronym - Good As You. I agree up to a point that it has had an unfortunate effect upon the original meaning of the word and rendered it obsolete in this context, but maybe they wouldn't have found it necessary if we had a more enlightened, inclusive society without the prejudice that is still prevalent despite being driven largely underground by modern liberal values.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Bengeo (8th September 2017), George Dorn (8th September 2017), Jim Ford (8th September 2017), Naughty Nigel (8th September 2017)
Old 8th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Those arrested will be summoned to appear in court at a later date, and in the meantime disappear to another site and be concealed by their mates.

Actually, my wife and I were considering camping soon in the vicinity of Cromer. This incident has changed our minds!

Jim
Well, they say lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, Jim!