Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th April 2015

Liked 1,918 Times in 1,142 Posts
Nikon DF

I'm aware this could be a bit inappropriate, like entering a mosque at Friday's prayers in Tehran asking is Jesus the true prophet

But here goes, has anyone tried the Nikon DF, or have any thoughts about the camera? I've only looked at the advertising / reviews and it looks a really nice package, with proper knobs and things for the important controls, ones you can look at with physical presence. Plus it's full frame of course.
I thought I'd got the better of the GAS thing, I blame my subconscious, it raises these thoughts now and again.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Nikon DF

It has a lot of great features, such as full analogue-like control. But my understanding is that it hasn't been developed since its instigation and has issues with focus speed and, for a 35mm equivalent sensor, low pixel count.

If you want (or need, like I do) analogue controls, try the Fuji X-T1.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th April 2015

It's the analogue controls I find appealing and as I get older the need for proper, meaningful dials will become more important to me. As for auto focus, we lived for years with manual everything and liked it, in fact I had proportionally more keepers from my true raw Pentax MX (I know, not the best in-class camera, but it did the job well - the Mrs kindly turfed out all my negatives, so nothing left as evidence other than a few prints.)
16 MP is fairly low, but the light receptors on the other hand will be massive by comparison. Signal to noise ratio should be excellent.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2015

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

I wonder if anyone's looked at changing the mount to convert it to other makers legacy glass. OM mount please.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th April 2015

Thanked 1,236 Times in 926 Posts
Liked 5,909 Times in 1,918 Posts

The DF gets very lukewarm reviews. AF is apparently quite poor and whilst it's a monster in low light, the poor AF means you can't make the most of it. Personally, if manual controls were top of the requirements list then I agree with Stephen- - take a look at the XT1.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 11th April 2015

Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts

Nice and retro but stupid money too!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 11th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Nice and retro but stupid money too!
True enough.

Thinking about auto focus for a moment, in general, and not specifically to any make or model. I'm not too sure it's the be all it's made out to be. In a sense it can be distracting to get focus lock confirmation, as this can promote a trigger response in your head - to release the shutter. Manual focus on the other hand slows the photographer, physically and mentally, and the trigger response sort of disappears. This could be beneficial for improving picture composition, with no suprises when checking focus in PP. You may be happy with auto focus, but like me you must get a few shots now and again where the camera has focused on something that's not on bore sight with your brain. I get my fair share but with manual focus I might get less.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yes, and all too often we condition ourselves that because we cannot get focus lock the shot is not possible, whereas if we slowed down and focussed manually we would literally see things differently.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th April 2015

Thanked 1,236 Times in 926 Posts
Liked 5,909 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
True enough.

Thinking about auto focus for a moment, in general, and not specifically to any make or model. I'm not too sure it's the be all it's made out to be. In a sense it can be distracting to get focus lock confirmation, as this can promote a trigger response in your head - to release the shutter. Manual focus on the other hand slows the photographer, physically and mentally, and the trigger response sort of disappears. This could be beneficial for improving picture composition, with no suprises when checking focus in PP. You may be happy with auto focus, but like me you must get a few shots now and again where the camera has focused on something that's not on bore sight with your brain. I get my fair share but with manual focus I might get less.
That might all be true Steve - but manual focus on a DSLR is not a great experience. Remember that without live view, there's no focus peaking and no enlarged view. Also, unlike SLRs of old, DSLRs have a dim viewfinder and no fresnel or split image focus aid either. If manual focus is what you want, go for a mirrorless camera - something like an Olympus in fact!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 11th April 2015

Oh I wasn't aware of that, I assumed DSLRs would be identical to the old school, is there a technical challenge or something that prevents this? I came to m43 from film via a point and shoot Canon IXIS.
I'm not anti AF at all, but I find missed focus in PP all too often. Depending on what I'm taking pictures of I do fine tune focus manually. Street shots tend to be grabs and AF is the order, but I do miss focus quite a lot. Disappointing when I've managed to capture a fairly reasonable shot (for my standard, that is) to find focus is on something other than the subject, especially when at or close to open aperture.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2015

Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
An alternative I'd suggest

is a Sony A7 or A7II now that has in body IS.

Similar-ish in spirit to an OM-D, analogue controls, and with the use of adapters compatible with probably a wider range of legacy lenses than any other body.

I had an A7r but either I'm getting older and shakier or something but I find stabilisation saves a fair percentage of my shots.

That's why I have an A7II on the way.

I used Nikon film cameras for years and the DF had me pretty excited for a while. The initial price kept me away and the reviews and remarks about the build quality are off-putting, especially when you can buy alternative Nikon full frame bodies for much less...

Mal.
The Following User Says Thank You to mm500 For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (11th April 2015)
Old 11th April 2015

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

I don't have a problem focusing dSLRs but I used plain screens in my OM bodies. I'd estimate 95% of my personal work has been manually focused over the past couple of years.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th April 2015

I'm not alone it seems, the room is not empty.
Where did the AF thing begin, was it point and shoot for Imbeciles?

on flickr
Old 11th April 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

I looked at the 'DF' once, just 'once', I really liked its retro look and traditional controls. I believe it is modelled on the analogue FM3A, which IMO is along with the F2 Nikons finest manual focus camera. One huge problem though, and it lies in that word 'huge' ... the DF is bloody enormous compared to the FM3A Google it for comparison side by side images and you will see what I mean. It feels a little 'cheap' too, no where near the build quality of an F2 or FM3A.

If I were to buy a Nikon today it would be as an addition to my Olympus EM5 MkII and it would not be any of their digital offerings as I do not like any of them. It would have to be either an F2 of FM3A, owned the latter once..... should never have sold it.

Kind regards, Simon

c
Old 11th April 2015

Simon, thanks the heads up on the DF. I'm starting to go off the idea. But the FM3A does look the business. Who wouldn't want one of those!
I'm trying to resurrect my memory, was it you who converted to a Leica M6 (or was it MP) last year. That's another camera on my wish list, it's just the expense of the lenses that put me off. One day maybe.

on flickr